Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

Cold Fire by Dean Koontz > 8. The windmills creepy tower room.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (last edited Jun 16, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
Once inside the windmill’s creepy tower room, the alien reveals itself from the adjacent pond, at first through sounds analogous to church bells and then an entrancing display of dancing colors and exploding lights. The being then starts to magically use a pen and paper to make words appear, and later manifests as a voice. It calls itself THE FRIEND who has come to them from ANOTHER WORLD. When asked why, it says, “TO OBSERVE, TO STUDY, TO HELP MANKIND.” Holly asks why, then, it attacked them the previous night, to which THE FRIEND replies that that was the work of its other half: THE ENEMY. When asked about the bells and lights, it says that it does that “FOR DRAMA?” Holly asks why the certain individuals are chosen over others, and THE FRIEND gives replies that one will cure all cancers, one will become a great president, one will become a great spiritual leader, et cetera. Jim is wholly enthusiastic and pleased. Do you get similar feelings?

Modified question - sorry

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments I thought Holly was exactly right when she said it all sounded like 1950s sci fi! I thought the explanation of where Jim got all these ideas was pretty great. And the author had planted to seeds by letting us know how he read all the time after his parents' deaths.

message 3: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments I guess he was pleased because he was creating the moving lights and things. But he did get upset when Holly tried to pressure the "alien" because it went against the book plot of his creation.

message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments Do I get similar feelings about people? I feel like I can read people and situations very well most of the time...but people surprise me all the time - either exceeding my expectations (yeah!) or not (:().

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
Interesting comments from you all. This is one of my favorite questions. Isn't it interesting how we can read people, ideas, observe concepts, etc. He calls them The Enemy and the Friend. So when Holly asks why certain individuals are chosen over others, and the Friend gives replies that perhaps will cure all cancers, become a great president, spiritual leader. I do get similar feelings when I ponder the spiritual gifts discussed. Is it 1950's sci fi? Perhaps that can be a way the seeds were planted and why reading was so important to him. Maybe for us too!!!