AlexandriaLibraryVA discussion

General > One Year Goodreads Anniversary Giveaway

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 103 comments Mod
Hi Everyone,

In celebration of our one year Goodreads Anniversary, we have a great giveaway! The prize is a hardback copy of "The Girl on the Train" (coming soon to theaters) and two Chipotle coupons. The coupons are each good for one free burrito/bowl/salad/or tacos.

To enter the contest please post the title of a favorite book that you have read between June 2015 - June 2016, and why you liked it. You can participate even if you don't live in the Northern Virginia Area. If you are the winner we can mail you the prize.

Please note we have a lot of members with the same first name, so if you are willing, please include your first name and the first initial of your last name on the post.

You have until Saturday Jun 18th (our anniversary date) at 4pm to post.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Godshall | 2 comments All the Light We Cannot See was given to me by a coworker after discussing books with multiple narrators. It was so well weaven between the two authors that never once did it give me pause about what I was reading. I am avid reader of WWII fiction particularly about women and girls and this providing a rich insight in to lives of young german boys. I loved this book so much I went out and read Anthony Doerr's memoir about his year in Rome where he wrote All the Light We Cannot See.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandastretch) | 1 comments I got really into the Seeds of America series by Laurie Halse Anderson this last year, starting with Chains (Seeds of America, #1) by Laurie Halse Anderson Chains, which was recommended to me by my students. I love historical fiction, and so many slavery fiction is around the Civil War era. Reading about the American Revolution from the perspective of slaves is a fascinating approach and I'm excited for the third book this fall!

Amanda R.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 13 comments My favorite book that I've read in the past year is When Breathe Becomes Air. It's about a neurosurgeon who is at the peak of his career and finds out he has terminal cancer. I know there are a lot of cancer memoirs available and they can be overwhelming, but I found this one quite well written and poignant. It's still a tearjerker, but a great read.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 6 comments My favorite book was East of Eden by John Steinbeck. I don't know how I hadn't read it before, but it was such a beautifully written story and I became so invested in many of the characters.

Sarah H.

message 6: by Michael (last edited Jun 18, 2016 12:37PM) (new)

Michael | 3 comments For the past year, I've been mainly occupied with finishing the Song of Ice and Fire series [those that have been published, that is] by George R.R. Martin, so I will have to go with "A Dance With Dragons." While I have to say that, thus far, I think this is one of the least successful books in the series, Martin's ability to create a fully realized and complex fantasy world that draws from a wide swath of actual sources makes it, nevertheless, a very worthwhile read. And this reader, at least, always finds himself in keen anticipation of how the epic saga is going to resolve . . .
Happy Anniversary! --Michael G.

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (judydark) | 64 comments Mod
Thanks for participating everyone! The random number generator chose message 5 as our winner. Congratulations, Sarah H.! We'll be in touch to arrange getting you your prize!