The Mary Sue Books and More Club discussion

Comics/Graphics Reads > June Graphic Novel: Rat Queens, vol. 1: Sass & Sorcery

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita Fajita Pita (anitafajitapitareada) June's Graphic novel winner is Rat Queens, Vol. 1: Sass & Sorcery, an epic fantasy read full of humor, magic, and the kick ass, all female merc group: the Rat Queens. There's plenty here to appeal to all sorts; feminists, fantasy lovers, and adventurers.

Who is reading this, who has read this, what do you think?

message 2: by Chessa (new)

Chessa (chessakat) | 81 comments Yay! I picked this up used several months ago and am glad to have a kick in the butt to actually read it (I have an issue with pushing books I own further and further down the TBR pile to deal with all the library books that I check out, which have deadlines. Does anyone else have this problem?

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill | 3 comments Rat Queens is amazing and continues to be one of my favourite ongoing comics! It's always the book I recommend to people whether or not they read comics or fantasy. I find their conversation and interaction with each other super relatable and hilarious in juxtaposition to the epic fantasy world they're in, and I've never found anything else like it!! So excited to talk about this book :) Has anyone found a comparable series before? (As in female protags/high fantasy/hilarity)

message 4: by Anita (last edited Jun 21, 2016 09:31PM) (new)

Anita Fajita Pita (anitafajitapitareada) oh Chessa, I feel your pain with the library books. The pile gets taller, the list keeps growing, and the next thing I know I'm chasing due dates. The struggle. Is. Real.

Jill, Rat Queens is also one of my very favorite comics! I haven't found anything quite like it with female protags+high fantasy+hilarity, but Bitch Planet, Vol. 1: Extraordinary Machine is right up there as a favorite, only it's more sci-fi and political feminism, the humor is satirical and cynical. We read that last month I believe (*edit: we read this in April), so maybe you did too. As far as character diversity, I think these two are the best I've ever read.

Another one is Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant, although the main character is technically the Turkish Lieutenant in this first volume. Delilah's character is very well developed in the second volume though, imo.

Radclyffe U-Haul | 41 comments Lumberjanes, Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy is all-ages, so much less cursing/sex/drugs/booze but also great in terms of diversity and just being fun .

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill | 3 comments Jill wrote: "Rat Queens is amazing and continues to be one of my favourite ongoing comics! It's always the book I recommend to people whether or not they read comics or fantasy. I find their conversation and in..."

I read Bitch Planet and loved that also!! I'm gonna keep my eye out for that other title for sure!

message 7: by Chessa (new)

Chessa (chessakat) | 81 comments Reading Rat Queens right now and it's rad! I accidentally handed it to my 10-year-old son to read before I had started it, whoops! He was like, "mom, there are totally swears in this...and holy crap, so much blood!"

message 8: by Anita (new)

Anita Fajita Pita (anitafajitapitareada) Chessa wrote: "Reading Rat Queens right now and it's rad! I accidentally handed it to my 10-year-old son to read before I had started it, whoops! He was like, "mom, there are totally swears in this...and holy cra..."

lol! Chessa, this is one I started talking about to my 9-y/o but then I stopped and realized I couldn't share it yet because there's lots of not-child-friendly stuff in there. But the sheer amount of fun I get out of reading it makes me want to share it so bad. Also, goodreads deleted all three volumes from my shelves? so I guess I'm in for a re-read of them all soon :)