My Sister's Keeper My Sister's Keeper question

Ethics in Literature
Lesley Grant Lesley Jun 15, 2016 03:53PM
I am looking for some short stories and/or short novels that present an ethical issue or theme. These will be utilised by a Year 12 class, many of whom are reluctant readers - hence the move to shorter texts. Last year My Sister's Keeper was used successfully in the unit , but would be too long a read to sustain this year's cohort.
I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks
Lesley

M (last edited Jun 16, 2016 12:18AM ) Jun 15, 2016 10:28PM   0 votes
Ooooh, fun. How About -
When it Changed by Joanna Russ? The Lottery by Jackson (connect to the Hunger Games opening?) Harrison Bergeron by Vonnegut? Something by Flannery O'Conner or James Baldwin? Maybe something by Russell Banks? Definitely check out Sandra Cisneros collection Woman Hollering Creek & Sherman Alexie's Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven. Made Out of Meat by Terry Bisson. LeGuin's collection Wind's Twelve Quarters includes The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas among others.
My kids add Stephen King, Kelly Link, and the Arabian Nights (and in that vein The Lady or the Tiger which is not great writing but a very clever plot).

Lesley Grant Wow! Thank you so much for your prompt and generous reply! I will certainly check out your suggestions.
Jun 16, 2016 01:19AM · flag