Reading with Style discussion

BINGO Summer 2016 > General Questions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kate S (last edited Jun 28, 2016 06:36PM) (new)

Kate S | 6146 comments We have decided to try out a new team challenge in RwS. For the month of July we will be offering a bonus BINGO challenge for all members of RwS. No prior participation required!

How it works:

Between June 15th and 26th members will be allowed (encouraged) to sign up in the appropriate thread to be assigned a team.

The moderators will assign members to a team and announce the team make up on June 28th.

Every team will be working with the same BINGO card. The final and official BINGO card will be available for viewing on June 28th. In the meantime, you can see what might be in store here .

A team will earn a BINGO by completing the tasks in the squares to complete a vertical, horizontal or diagonal line on the card.

Each member of the team must contribute at least one book to the completion of a BINGO.

Each book read can only be used once for a task square, but may contribute to any/all applicable style squares.

Completing BINGO will offer bonus points for the Summer RwS Challenge.

New (28 June):

Team challenge rewards:
First team to earn BINGO: +15 points added to each team member's season score
Second team to earn BINGO: +10 points
Each subsequent BINGO: +5 points

In order to use the FREE space on the BINGO card, each team must claim a book in the completed tasks thread.

message 2: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 2288 comments sweet

message 3: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 1397 comments Can these July books also be used to complete our RwS challenge, or are these extra books?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12318 comments These are the same books as in the main RwS Challenge if you are participating. No extra reading required!

Also, be assured this is a TEAM challenge. No one participant needs to complete any one square. If the square requires you to read 3 books, it can be completed by 3 different team members.

message 5: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2950 comments Will books read between June 1st and 28th count?

message 6: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6146 comments Rosemary wrote: "Will books read between June 1st and 28th count?"

Good question, Rosemary. No, only books read during the Bingo Challenge period will be included in the Bingo game.

message 7: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 1441 comments How many people are you anticipating per team?

message 8: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6146 comments We're aiming for 4 person teams.

message 9: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jun 16, 2016 07:42AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12318 comments We had lots of questions we bounced off each other while brainstorming for this.

What if I just want points in the main challenge, so I post a book for 20.7 and take the combo for 10.9, but my team needs a book for 10.9. Can I switch them around? Yes!

Some members might be able to read only a few books and want those to count the most toward Most Strategic. What if they read at night to the kids, but it's a low lexile, so posting might mess up the chance for Most Strategic? As long as the book qualifies for the task, the book doesn't have to be posted in the main challenge.

Same answer if you're a lurker, and you just read only 1 or 2 books per season, so haven't ever posted. You can participate in BINGO without participating in the main challenge, as long as the book qualifies.

What about this season's 5-point jumbo bonus in FYTS? Yes, those will count toward a portion of the jumbo square.

message 10: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2950 comments Kate S wrote: "Rosemary wrote: "Will books read between June 1st and 28th count?"

Good question, Rosemary. No, only books read during the Bingo Challenge period will be included in the Bingo game."

Actually, not such a great question, because I now see it says "for the month of July" right there in the description :-)

message 11: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2950 comments How about this one: can a team do more than one line for extra points?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12318 comments Rosemary wrote: "How about this one: can a team do more than one line for extra points?"

Yes. We will announce the point schedule on June 28, but the plan is for every Bingo to earn extra points.

message 13: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2522 comments ooh FUN! The card is looking good too :)

Funny thing is I've just picked up a bingo card from my local library too! Seems Bingo is in the air... :)

message 14: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4568 comments This looks like great fun! I saw it a couple of days ago and then forgot to come sign up -- heading over to the sign up thread :)

message 15: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2472 comments I may be making this more complicated than it needs to be...

I noticed on the sample bingo card that 10.1 is being used in combination with another task for a square. This is a task that can't be repeated (in the regular 'game'). There is the possibility that all of the team members will have completed this task. Does that mean we can't use those 2 bingo lines or will there be an exception for the bingo game only?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12318 comments Valerie wrote: "I noticed on the sample bingo card that 10.1 is being used in combination with another task for a square. This is a task that can't be repeated (in the regular 'game'). "

Each element of a square can be completed by different team members. So for the square Complete 10.1 and any 15 point task, you could read for 10.1 and another team member for any 15 point task. When a book has been read for both elements, that square has been completed. In "real" BINGO, you would have marked that square in some way and it would qualify for a BINGO in either direction.

Keep in mind that the BINGO card we've shared may change.

message 17: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2472 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Valerie wrote: "I noticed on the sample bingo card that 10.1 is being used in combination with another task for a square. This is a task that can't be repeated (in the regular 'game'). "

Each elem..."

Yes, thanks I understand that part of it. I was asking specifically for 10.1 in the case that ALL of the team has already completed this task prior to July (since this is the one task that can't be repeated in the regular 'game').

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12318 comments Valerie wrote: "completed this task prior to July"

Ah, I didn't quite get that part of your question. The team may not be able to complete that square then. However, there are 23 other ways to complete a bingo.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12318 comments So far, we have 18 people signed up. We'd like to have 4 person teams. Anyone else? Even if you think you will read only 1 or maybe 2 books, your team will want just those elements to fill in the square!

message 20: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Soll | 187 comments question on the timing...what qualifies for having been read during July? Is it a similar 50% rule?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12318 comments Gabriel wrote: "question on the timing...what qualifies for having been read during July? Is it a similar 50% rule?"

Yes, the 50% rule will apply. Thanks for asking this, Gabe.

message 22: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Still only one book at 50%?

message 23: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6146 comments Sam wrote: "Still only one book at 50%?"

Yes

message 24: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6146 comments I have updated post 1 in this thread with some additional information. Please take a minute to review. Thanks.

message 25: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6146 comments And just like that the sample card offered in post 1 is now our OFFICIAL BINGO card for Summer 2016. Happy reading all! And good luck!

message 26: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 1029 comments Just to say good luck to all the Bingo-ers. I didn't sign up because recently I've been feeling that too many challenges driving my book choices, are having an adverse effect on my reading enjoyment. But I'll be following you all from the sidelines, and it looks like you'll have a lot of fun.

Now, which team am I going to root for........???

message 27: by Rosemary (last edited Jun 29, 2016 05:13AM) (new)

Rosemary | 2950 comments Isn't this rule: "In order to use the FREE space on the BINGO card, each team must claim a book in the completed tasks thread."
covered in this rule: "Each member of the team must contribute at least one book to the completion of a BINGO."
or if not, what is the difference?

ETA: Oh, does it mean the book for the Free space must be in addition to the other book used for the bingo?

message 28: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Can we claim style point or task squares with books being used for the sub challenge?

message 29: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6146 comments Rosemary wrote: "Isn't this rule: "In order to use the FREE space on the BINGO card, each team must claim a book in the completed tasks thread."
covered in this rule: "Each member of the team must contribute at lea..."

This is not an additional book, it is just a way to make sure the books we read for Bingo also make it into the official challenge. Do not over think this space. For our Bingo participants this season, it's a no fuss 'gimme'. :)

message 30: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6146 comments Sam wrote: "Can we claim style point or task squares with books being used for the sub challenge?"

There are a few 15 point task squares on the board, so yes. And the sub-challenge this season works to add points to the Jumbo score.

message 31: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Soll | 187 comments I am a bit uncertain about some of the rules though...for example, o3 requires reading 3 prize-winning books (3 different prizes). Can we combine efforts, of if I read one, and two others each read one have we earned the square?

message 32: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6146 comments Gabriel wrote: "I am a bit uncertain about some of the rules though...for example, o3 requires reading 3 prize-winning books (3 different prizes). Can we combine efforts, of if I read one, and two others each read..."

Yes, the idea is to work as a team. So, absolutely you can read one and your team members can read books for the same square.

message 33: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Soll | 187 comments ah...ok, that changes the game!

message 34: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6146 comments Gabriel wrote: "ah...ok, that changes the game!"

Hopefully in a fun way. :)

message 35: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Sorry, I meant could they be used for a 10 or 20 point task square or LiT, Combo, etc? I know that we can flip around the 10 and 20 point tasks to fit a different square from where we're posting them for the main challenge, so I was wondering if the same rule applies for books that work for, say a 10 point task but that in the real challenge I'm claiming for FYTS.

I hope that makes sense!

message 36: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jun 29, 2016 08:58AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12318 comments A reminder to everyone: You can claim a book for yourself for a task and have combos, but you may want to switch those combos claims for bingo, and can do so.

For example, in Post 84, I claimed the book for task 20.7, because it got more points, with the combo for 10.9. However, if the team needed, this post/book could be claimed as fulfilling a 10.9 requirement on the card. It would still have 5 combo points for that square.

message 37: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 1397 comments After the team gets one BINGO, are we supposed to work together for a second BINGO later in July?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12318 comments Connie wrote: "After the team gets one BINGO, are we supposed to work together for a second BINGO later in July?"

If you want to keep playing, you may do so. All July Bingos will earn the extra points.

message 39: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2472 comments In case this is achievable...

Say our team gets a bingo with the B column (yay for us!). If we are feeling frisky and want to try to another bingo, such as the #1 row, does that mean for square B1 we have to read 3 DIFFERENT books or can we use the ones we've already claimed for that square. (In 'real' bingo it would be the same, but I just would like to clarify).

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12318 comments Valerie wrote: "In case this is achievable...

Say our team gets a bingo with the B column (yay for us!). If we are feeling frisky and want to try to another bingo, such as the #1 row, does that mean for square B1..."

Once you have completed a square, it is complete for all of the possible bingos for which it might apply. So B1 works vertically, horizontally, and diagonally, and having completed that square, you're on your way to 3 bingos.

message 41: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2472 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Valerie wrote: "In case this is achievable...

Say our team gets a bingo with the B column (yay for us!). If we are feeling frisky and want to try to another bingo, such as the #1 row, does that me..."

Ok! Things could get exciting! ;)

message 42: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4568 comments If we claim a review for B-5, can the book itself be claimed for a different square or is it one use of a book only?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12318 comments Karen Michele wrote: "If we claim a review for B-5, can the book itself be claimed for a different square or is it one use of a book only?"

As per above:

Each book read can only be used once for a task square, but may contribute to any/all applicable style squares.

So a book could be used for one task square, plus as many as 5 different style squares (because there are 5 styles).

message 44: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4568 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Karen Michele wrote: "If we claim a review for B-5, can the book itself be claimed for a different square or is it one use of a book only?"

As per above:

Each book read can only be used once for ..."

Ok, I think I've got it now --- thanks, this will be tons of fun!

message 45: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Sam wrote: "Sorry, I meant could they be used for a 10 or 20 point task square or LiT, Combo, etc? I know that we can flip around the 10 and 20 point tasks to fit a different square from where we're posting th..."

Sorry for delay Sam.

FYTS can only be claimed for Jumbo style, and is not interchangeable with 10 or 20 pt tasks, and vice versa.

message 46: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Thanks for clarifying, Amanda!

message 47: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2413 comments Does each team or team member need to declare which bingo square it is to contribute to or complete when they post a book?....or are the moderators determining which bingo square has been satisfied once books are posted as having been read?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12318 comments Ed wrote: "Does each team or team member need to declare which bingo square it is to contribute to or complete when they post a book?....or are the moderators determining which bingo square has been satisfied..."

There is going to be a Bingo Completed Squares thread. Each team will post when they have completed a square. You will keep track within your team threads your progress on those squares.

message 49: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 1441 comments If we complete B3 by getting 30 LiT points, we'd have to get an additional 30 LiT points if we wanted to claim O2, correct?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12318 comments Joanna wrote: "If we complete B3 by getting 30 LiT points, we'd have to get an additional 30 LiT points if we wanted to claim O2, correct?"

Correct.

« previous 1