Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Beta reader for fiction books Childrens - Adult

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Tobleman (monsterreader) | 15 comments I write a library blog, and read and review several books a week including galley books (which you will not see on my blog until a book is published ... sorry ^_^). I have beta read many books and specialize in Science Fiction and Fantasy (all types), but read some romances, horror, and literary fiction. I do not beta read animal stories, inappropriate relationships between children and adults, erotica, or graphic romance novels however.

If you are writing for Children or Young Adult please let me know the age range you are writing for and I will review the book with that age in mind. I will read partial manuscripts, but prefer full books, not short stories, or massive serials. The less finished the manuscript, the more general the comments i will make.

I make three promises to all authors I Beta read for:

I will never criticize you personally.
I will read your entire work.
I will be honest, but offer constructive comments.

If you write YA or Children's fiction I encourage you to check out:
www.winston-library.org look under "MonsterReader" to see some public reviews.

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara Pascoe (sarapascoe) | 14 comments Hi Lisa, I sent you a message about being a possible Beta reader for my YA Fantasy, Historical fiction novel. I did look at the www.winston-library.org site, but couldn't find the "MonsterReader" page or button. Any hints appreciated. Sorry if I've just missed it.

Baffled in Bournemouth,
Sara Pascoe

message 3: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Carlyle | 61 comments Hello Lisa,
My name is Joeseph and I would be ever so grateful if you could beta read my fantasy adventure book it is called "Mystical Six:Awakening" it is the first book of a eight part series.
It is targeted at children and young adults I have provided a short synopsis six young sorcerers who are born with the same birthmarks making them the most powerful of their kind in the world because they can control the elements earth,fire,water,ice,air and lightening they set forth on quest around the country to different magical places to retrieve six crystals its race against time because they have to get them before an evil sorceress obtains them because she wants to use them to release a monster that will increase her power and help her conquer the world. Its set in 21st century and so mixes magic with technology throughout you'll find it really cool.So tell me if your interested.

message 4: by Gita (new)

Gita Reddy | 10 comments Hi Lisa.

I mainly write for Middle Graders. I have self-published several books which include two novels, chapter books and short story collections. Except for horror, paranormal, and dark genres, I enjoy all the other sub-genres for children's books.

My latest book, Cheetaka, Queen of Giants, is a fantasy, and at 64,000 words, my longest book till date. I have edited it umpteen number of times. I am sure it is ready for publication and then I have doubts. Will you do me the kindness of reading it and giving your opinion? Thank you.

message 5: by Henderson (new)

Henderson Smith (goodreadscomhenderson_smith) | 2 comments Hi Lisa,

I read your kind offer and am responding (as are others and I know you are busy.) I have just published my book, The Ugly Princess, but would appreciate your review very much if you have the time. A short synopsis follows. Thank you, Henderson

The Ugly Princess is an unusual fairytale that centers on an ugly, brave princess who teaches us the true meaning of beauty. Princess Olive is not like most princesses. She is the last generation of Winnowwood, an enchanted people with magical powers, dominion over nature, and the ability to communicate with animals. They are a people as ugly as they are extraordinary, and Olive is one of their ugliest. Her face is covered in bumps and warts, and her own father despises her for her ugly appearance. Olive has lived most of her life confined to the castle, away from the public eye. But when war breaks out between her kingdom and its neighbor and her father is captured, Olive courageously steps up to help him despite his cruelty. In transit, she is kidnapped by a band of highwaymen led by the mysterious Black Bart, and then kidnapped again by an even greater enemy force determined to overtake the entire mainland surrounding her father's kingdom. Will anyone come to rescue Olive? Does she have within herself what it takes to break free and save her people? A story that teaches us that there is more to a person than meets the eye, The Ugly Princess encourages young women to look within themselves to find beauty and power, and to open their eyes to their own magic.

message 6: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Ergo (anthonyergo) | 9 comments Hi Lisa,

"Dystopia" is my paranormal action/adventure YA novel with a strong female lead character. It's 65k words and has been professionally edited previously, although has since had multiple revisions. Here's the back cover blurb:

"There is another existence which operates in parallel to what we know as the real world. It is a place of paranormal entities and supernatural beings, the like of which most people don't believe in. Sometimes, the two worlds meet, and when that happens, we are called upon."

Let me know if you'd like to beta read it.

Anthony
anthonyergo@live.co.uk

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Tobleman (monsterreader) | 15 comments I just finished two beta reads, and a review. I have another beta to read this weekend, but I have room for another novel in between several more galley reviews. However, please note I am not a Free editor, and I only want completed novels that have gone through at least one editing round. The edit does not have to be professional, but if I can't read it I will regretfully send it back to you.

When I finish a Beta read, I send back a marked up (annotated) PDF,
a summary of all notations in your manuscript PDF. Ex: pg5- did not know who was talking. Pg6- loved the ambience. Pg7-is this necessary?
- the annotation summary is generated by the editing software I use and is more for reference
And a one to two page PDF review of what worked or did not work from my point of view.

Thanks!
Lisa T.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Tobleman (monsterreader) | 15 comments Just finished another group of Beta books. I have two slots available now. Please see my earlier post about what I read. I also do reviews of published works. If I like the book and think it would be good for our library or be enjoyed by our students, I will post the review on our website. Happy writing. :-)

message 9: by Justine (last edited May 25, 2014 07:17PM) (new)

Justine Laismith (justinelaismith) | 23 comments Hi Lisa,

I am getting too close to my manuscript and wondered if you could help read through and let me know what you think of it. 'Give it to Pig' is written for 10-12 yr old readers (43K words).

Here's the blurb.

To move forward, some things have to be left behind; superstitions, beliefs and children.

For Kai, there is nothing worth celebrating, even if his father has returned for the festive season. His pig, and only friend, has just been killed, just so that they can have lots to eat for the occasion. Kai’s father has been away working for as long as he can remember. His mother is home, that is good enough for him. Until the crops withered last year and there wasn’t enough to feed two mouths.

At the reunion dinner his father announces that he has found a job for his mother, looking after a sick boy in the city. In both their absence, Kai is entrusted to look after their farm and the new black piglet. Before Kai’s mother leaves, she gives him her jade pendant, a family heirloom and a talisman she believes would watch over him.

In the city, her desperate employers resort to asking for divine guidance to find a cure for their only grandson. They learn about the fruit of a rare tree that will cure, but only after it has been elaborately treated. The nearest tree is located in the rural mountains where Kai lives. Kai gets involved with their quest.

A turn of events lead the employers to move to their country home in a town close to Kai. Kai’s mother thought she would be close to him again. But on the day they arrive, the pendant is found dangling on the neck of a dead man.

Please let me know if you'd be happy to beta-read this. Many thanks.
Justine

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Tobleman (monsterreader) | 15 comments Justine wrote: "Hi Lisa,

I am getting too close to my manuscript and wondered if you could help read through and let me know what you think of it. 'Give it to Pig' is written for 10-12 yr old readers (43K words)...."

See the message I just sent. And sorry about the read ... rad mixup in the subject. I hit send too quickly and auto correct had already changed what I wrote. L.

message 11: by Lori (new)

Lori Clark (clarklori) | 23 comments I'm looking for another beta if you have an empty slot left. It is 68k words and here's the details:

The Dead Tree
By: Lori L. Clark
Literary Thriller
Release date: June 10, 2014

Trust me when I tell you. I would rather write a 70k word novel any day of the week than: 1. A query letter. 2. A synopsis 3. A cover blurb. With a little help from some friends over at Goodreads, I've rewritten the blurb.

Here is the final (for now) back cover blurb for The Dead Tree:

The town of Steele Grove, Missouri sits high along the bluffs of the Mississippi River. Legends run rampant around town about crazy Blythe Fountain, who discovered her beau hanging from the oak tree in the family's front yard. A short time later, two of her friends mysteriously disappeared, never to be seen, or heard from again.

Eighty years later, Ariel Fountain has inherited the property, and after catching her boyfriend cheating on her, decides she needs a change of scenery and runs headlong to a place shrouded in superstition and family mysteries which may be better off left unsolved.

Ariel sets out with the help of a local man, Grady, to uncover the truth behind the hanging and the girls' disappearances. What Ariel discovers is a secret so horrific she wishes she would have left it buried.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Tobleman (monsterreader) | 15 comments Lori wrote: "I'm looking for another beta if you have an empty slot left. It is 68k words and here's the details:

The Dead Tree
By: Lori L. Clark
Literary Thriller
Release date: June 10, 2014

Trust me when I..."

I just messages you a response. Hope to hear from you soon.

message 13: by Joanne (new)

Joanne LaRe Thompson | 68 comments Hi Lisa,

I have a children's book that needs 1 more beta reader in order to finalize this project. This is the type of children's book that is typically read to the child or easy reader for children from about age 4/5 to 7/8. It is roughly 1500 words. It's already been edited for punctuation. so I'm looking for content flaws, etc.

Would you be interested?

message 14: by Victor (new)

Victor Cesena | 29 comments Hi Lisa,

Would love some constructive criticism from a person with your read background. It is a full book.

Thank you, Victor

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Tobleman (monsterreader) | 15 comments I have finished all my current betas, and I need about a week to catch up on my galley, and regular reading. After reading what it is I Will Beta, feel free to query with what you have. I have two, possibly three spots open.

All I need from you is:

Genre
Age type or target audience
Word count

That's it!
Happy Writing :-)

message 16: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (kelsey_simon) | 103 comments Hi Lisa,

I've got a 65K YA paranormal post-apocalyptic manuscript I'd love for you to read and get some feedback on. I can email you the query or anything else, just let know at ksimon (at) kcai. edu

Thanks!

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Tobleman (monsterreader) | 15 comments Lisa wrote: "I have finished all my current betas, and I need about a week to catch up on my galley, and regular reading. After reading what it is I Will Beta, feel free to query with what you have. I have tw..."

Check your messages, I just replied.

message 18: by J.L. (last edited Jun 03, 2014 03:11AM) (new)

J.L. | 48 comments Lisa is a great BETA! I give her 5 stars! She had some excellent feedback for my 90K MG Book THE MESSENGERS.

message 19: by Victor (new)

Victor Cesena | 29 comments Victor wrote: "Hi Lisa,

Would love some constructive criticism from a person with your read background. It is a full book.

Thank you, Victor"

Hi Lisa,

I don't see any of my replies to your messages. Have you been seeing my responses? Here is my direct e-mail veacdev@gmail.com.

Best Regards, Victor

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Locke-thornhill | 7 comments Hi Lisa, I am looking for a beta reader for a 1200 word picture book, ages 3-7. Would you be interested/have time to look at it.

Thanks,

Jennifer

message 21: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Cicala (viiv) | 3 comments Hi Lisa,

I'm looking for feedback on my novel:

Genre: Literary crime
Target Audience: Adult
Word count: 68k

Thanks,
Daniel

message 22: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Abraham | 1 comments Hi Lisa, I checked out the Winston School Library Book Blog and liked it so much I bookmarked it. I have an upper middle grade, literary novel that is complete at around 79,000 words and was wondering if you would be interested/ have the time to take a look at it.
Please let me know.
Thanks,
Thomas.

message 23: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Tobleman (monsterreader) | 15 comments I sent out messages to everyone who requested a beta read. If I don't hear from anyone in five days, I will open up the slots. We are huge futbol fans here and are following the matches of the WC, so if I don't respond immediately to a message I am probably watching a game and yelling at the tv. ^_^.

message 24: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Churchill | 34 comments Hi, my name is Andrea. My book is called Ilere of the Woods, it has a 43500 word count.

Lerewood is a small, isolated town set in the middle of a haunted wood, in which a legendary creature resides. Though the townspeople suffer from starvation and live in a society that resembles a pack of animals rather than civilization, the town never seems to die off. Legends say the town is cursed never to see the outside world, if one even existed, and the creature keeps them isolated by killing anyone who tries to escape. No one from Lerewood has ever seen another town or a person from another land. Anyone who enters the forest never comes out.
One man, depressed and tired of his pain and abuse from his monstrous wife, decides to commit suicide by entering the wood. He deliberately searches for the creature, only to realize she isn't as evil as everyone thought.

If you're interested in beta reading my story, please email me at fruittarts@yahoo.com :-)

message 25: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda | 16 comments Hi Lisa, I have a completed YA fantasy manuscript @ 86,000 words. I've had several edit rounds, and I'm looking to self-publish soon. Briefly, it's a coming of age about a 16 year old inexperienced sorceress who hates being a sorceress, but finally realizes she must accept herself for who she is. Only the fate of the universe is in her hands. Please let me know if you have time and are interested. I can provide a longer synopsis or outline... Please email me at rjs.author@gmail.com. Thanks! Rhonda

message 26: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Wibberley (feismom) | 19 comments Hi Lisa, hoping that you are still looking for stories to beta read. I would love your feedback.Here is a synopsis of the story.
My main character is a smart and sassy, fiddle playing, grade seven student; full of humor and strength. This literary work of magical realism is complete at 50,770 words.

THE INDIGO RAT DIARIES, is the story of Anastasia Anatole, an Indigo rat with beautiful blue fur. She has a pet ladybug named ‘Fluffy’, a passion for Celtic fiddle music, and is completely obsessed with the color blue. She and her family have moved to a new city. As the start of the new school year draws near, her mom and dad share some interesting, and perhaps even disturbing, news with her. Unlike her old neighborhood, which was rich with rats of every color, this new one has no Indigo rats at all.

Anastasia’s not immediately concerned; back home she had friends with fur of many different colors, and not many of them Indigo. Her parents raised her to look beyond the color of a rat’s fur. But before the school year starts, Anastasia must learn the unfortunate truth, her family will likely face discrimination because of the color of their fur.

She’s initially angry with her parents for moving her to this new neighborhood, but later resolves to try and change everyone’s attitude regarding Indigo rats. She faces many challenges as she sets out to do so; especially in the form of one particularly rude and intolerant rat, Leroy Leopold, who seems determined to make her life
difficult.

Will her quirky sense of humor and passion for music be enough to finally bring an end to the incessant bullying by her nemesis?
If you are interested my email is lwibberley@hotmail.com

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Tobleman (monsterreader) | 15 comments I have to do some computer programming work to get ready for the new school year. I will not be accepting any new beta reads until I finish that. So check back in August. If I have your book, it will be finished. I am just not accepting new reads right now. Keep writing! I will see y'all for the school year.

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Tobleman (monsterreader) | 15 comments Finished my programming work early. So, I have three openings for beta reads.

Since comments are getting long, I will reiterate what it is I beta.

I don't beta adult romances, erotica, or animal stories. I do beta science fiction and fantasy as well as literary fiction. And can review even young children' picture books. My kids get to help with those, so you get both my opinion and my children'.

NOTE: If you have a finished story you want me to review, I read and review just about anything! But only Books that would be appropriate for grades 1-12 will appear on my blog. All others I review on Goodreads, Amazon, and my tumblr account. Yes I do read romances, et all, I just can't beta them.

I write a children's book blog for the Winston School in Dallas TX, so I love junior and teen fiction and encourage you to look at what I have reviewed there and on goodreads to see if my style is compatible with yours. In Texas the age of consent is 17, and I can deal with relationships that are close to that but I do not want graphic sex scenes of children or teens. I will stop reading your story immediately and return it to you with whatever comments I have already written. (Remember I don't beta romances or erotica). If there is sex between teens, and it is important to the story, we can discuss it and I may decide to go ahead and beta, but it has to be for more than salacious details.

I will need to know what age range your target audience is. Ex junior fiction ages 9-13 or young adult 17-21. I read the books very differently based on target age. I prefer to read your book in PDF format, but just about anything is fine. You will get back a detailed marked up PDF with line comments (unless you tell me otherwise) and a one to two page write up.

Turn around is generally within two weeks of starting your book, and while sometimes I can finish faster, I won't guarantee it. If I haven't scared you off great! I look forward to working with you.

Lisa T. :-)

message 29: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Troske | 55 comments Hey Lisa,
I just recently finished my first book in a planned series and am looking for readers. It's a teen/young adult fiction piece in the sci-fi/fantasy realm. It's a little lengthy (almost 160,000 words) about a typical high schooler (Ethan Myers) whose life revolves around music, sports, and his friend Chloe. That is until he suffers a horrific car accident and discovers he's developed some kind of super powers. He soon finds out there are others like him but rather than join them he continues to try and live his normal life. That is until too many accidents start happening and he's forced to join this group of supernaturals in order to learn how to control and develop his powers. He soon learns about another sect of supernaturals and is sent on a mission to kidnap their leader (Harold) after being told of what this person had done to the former leader of his group (Donovan). The mission fails and Ethan finds himself left behind as his friends flee, leaving him alone with Harold. The things he tells Ethan makes him doubt everything he had been told thus far. He struggles to decipher what is the real truth, what group he should stand alongside and who he should fight against. And when the opportunity arises where he can return to a normal life, one without powers, will he take it?

I haven't quite worked up the best quick summary of the book and this one doesn't really do it justice, but if you are looking for books to read and have the time, I'd very much appreciate giving my book a run through. Let me know what you think.

message 30: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Skretting (teacherauthor) | 9 comments Hi Lisa, I have a recently finished novel The Jewel of Peru that fits perfectly into the genre that you beta. It is a 62000 word middle grade fiction. It has been edited and I'm looking more for reader response. I can provide epub, pdf, word or mobi. Below is a synopsis:

What would you do if you were 12 years old and your parents were just lost at sea? Or were they? Young Christopher Faramund inherits his father's ship—but he doesn't believe that his parents died in a storm like he was told—especially not after finding a magic treasure chest that seems to be beckoning him to go after the Ultimate Treasure. Christopher decides to set sail, looking for his family and the treasure! Along with his guardian and a group of young stowaways, Christopher gets caught up in pirate chases, time travel, and an amazing mission to save the earth's most precious treasures! Join him on his journey filled with secrets, spies, and magic to find his parents and the Ultimate Treasure!

message 31: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Skretting (teacherauthor) | 9 comments Hi Lisa,
Sorry, I just posted for the Jewel of Peru, but I forgot to give you my email. If you're interested please email me at sharonskretting@gmail.com . Thanks for all you do to help authors!

Sharon

message 32: by R.A. (new)

R.A. Derdeyn | 2 comments Hi Lisa,
I looked at your blog at the Winston School and I would love to have a beta reader with such considered opinions. My story is middle grade and it is near publication ready (I hope - that's the reason I need a several critical beta reads). It is called Bethany's Tale:
Left with her younger brother David at her godparent’s house, Bethany naturally expected a boring birthday. It becomes anything but when David wanders off exploring and she goes after him. What she finds is an enchanted land and a mystery - why can some animals and people talk and others cannot? She also finds David.

The real adventures start when they can't get back home. Told they must seek the mystical Firebird to find their way home, they brave danger in their search and end up tangled in a ruthless plot to steal a kingdom. Faced with a serious decision to help new friends try and save the kingdom or to return home, Bethany and David must choose.

Of course they choose to help, but that’s when things really get difficult.

If this is something you would be interested in, please let me know at rderdeyn@outlook.com

Thanks,
Ric

message 33: by Roy (new)

Roy Humphreys | 14 comments Hi Lisa,
Not sure if my novel (Patrick's Journey - Historical Fiction) would appeal to the young adults (years 10 - 12) you cater for, but it may appeal to those charged with guiding / mentoring them in values for their life's journey. I have just posted some details in the "Authors Seeking Beta readers" folder.
I should be able to provide a copy in whatever format you require if it is of interest.
Thanks,
Roy

message 34: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Matthews | 2 comments Lisa wrote: "I write a library blog, and read and review several books a week including galley books (which you will not see on my blog until a book is published ... sorry ^_^). I have beta read many books and..."

Hi Lisa,

I have a motivational children's book that's approximately 22,000 words. Would you be willing to give it a read and provide me with some feedback?

Leslie

message 35: by P. (new)

P. Graham (AnneGraham) | 4 comments Hi Lisa

I’m wondering would you beta read my book. It’s fantasy, 75,00 words, sex-mild, the villain is quite dark, a bit gory in places but not hard-core. Its copy edited and line edited and I’m wondering is it ready for publication.
Quick synopsis
When the minor magician, Ben Alahad, investigates the brutal murder of his friend he discovers an evil sorcerer intent on killing or enslaving the population and conquering Astroban. Only Ben and a few others have a chance to stop him. In this first book of a trilogy, Ben gathers the others he needs to stop the sorcerer. The sorcerer, aware of their plans to oppose him, tries to stop them before they can gather together.
Anne Graham (P. A. Graham)

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Lisa,

I have a four part series, published.I'm revising all four.

The First book that I’m hoping you would agree to work on is;

The Ring.
Young adult/ paranormal romance.
A completed novel of about 350 pages.

Alexandra is determined to know her true nature. However, with the truth, comes love, intertwined with lust, infatuation and unfulfilled desires. Knowing her inescapable past, Alexandra realizes that her existence is not only uncertain, but is also bound by a curse that threatens her existence. Not only does she need The Ring to stay alive, she also must kill The Vangel. Soon she finds herself tangled in a love triangle, if not love square,and it seems one of her close companions is The Vangel.

Thank you,
Mantissa

message 37: by T.C. (new)

T.C. Michael Hello,

I'm trying to find a few beta readers to read my novel and provide feedback so I can proceed with a thorough revision. The book was originally published last year and has hit three Amazon best seller lists. It has had a profession edit so hopefull it won't be too rough to read. It is a young adult paranormal fantasy with a touch of romance. The manuscript is roughly 85,000 words.

Regards,

TC Michael
You can look over the book on Goodreads here:
Secret of the Last Born

message 38: by Ed (new)

Ed (edmahony) | 6 comments Lisa wrote: "I write a library blog, and read and review several books a week including galley books (which you will not see on my blog until a book is published ... sorry ^_^). I have beta read many books and ..."

Hello Lisa,
I'm looking for paid beta readers for my children's 9-12+ book, science fantasy, adventure, humour, bildungsroman.
Regards,
Ed

message 39: by A.J. (new)

A.J. (ajcollins) | 6 comments Hi Lisa

I have an older YA novel 80,000 words.

Theme is a talented 18 YO singer, who was abused as a child, struggles with self-image while on stage, and a fear of intimacy. Female lead with LGBT supporting character.

There is an inclusion of abuse between an adult and a child but it's handled honestly, sensitively and without graphic scenes.

Would love to submit for your feedback.

message 40: by Salima Bensalah (new)

Salima Bensalah | 52 comments Hi Lisa,

Thank you so much for your kind offer. If you have any available spaces, I was hoping that you would consider taking a look at my novel.

Anon is a paranormal YA (aimed towards older teenagers) at around 95,000 words, featuring seventeen-year-old Ashley Clarke who struggles with her supernatural powers. She sets off to find out the truth about her birth father, only to be redirected when a deadly organisation attempts to take her life. Her only ally appears to be a young man with similar abilities, but even he has secrets of his own.

Anon has gone through a lot of editing which should have secured it from typos. Please let me know if you are interested!

Many thanks,
Salima

message 41: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidiks) | 2 comments Hi Lisa,

I have a gentle weaning from nursing book I would like feedback on. It's a fairy tale, less than 300 hundred words.

Please let me know! Thanks!

message 42: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Meredith (dennismeredith) Good morning Lisa,

Would love it if you would be willing to beta read our newest novel The Neuromorphs.

Here is a link to the book where you can read a chapter and decide if it is interesting to you.
http://dennismeredith.com/the-neuromo...

The authors blog post here http://wp.me/pjyFJ-vM
explains why beta readers and reviewers are so important and that we do listen!

You can reach me at editor@glyphus.com

Thanks for your consideration,
Joni

message 43: by Darlinda (new)

Darlinda | 5 comments Hi Lisa,

I am looking for a beta reader for my children's. It is about 1,500. I would love it if you can take a good look at it. Would you be interested?

Thanks,
Darlinda

message 44: by Sullivan (new)

Sullivan  | 2 comments Hi Lisa
I am looking for a Beta reader for my first children's book
age 8 to 14, fantasy, approx 25,500 word count. Would you be interested.
Many thanks
Cait

message 45: by Renee (new)

Renee | 5 comments Hello Lisa,
If you have some time, I hope you would consider doing a beta for my MS. My novel is upper MG, but I think with some of the darker themes, it is almost a bridge into YA. I would say age is 12+. The genre is contemporary and magical fantasy. It is on the shorter side at about 38k. And it features a half Japanese, half American boy as the lead.

Here is a short blurb.

"Stories that once were real should not be told lightly, they have a way of coming back to life again."

12-year-old Fischer Akagi is running away.
His whole world changed when his best friend died almost one year ago. And it was all his fault. Desperate to escape his guilt and the reality of the past, he decides to run away.

But Fischer is forced to put his plans on hold when he encounters a strange girl, Tara, who steals his bag of supplies, and money.

When he learns Tara is alone like him, the two become friends and she introduces him to a magical realm where dreams live. It is a place where anything is possible. Where paper birds fly through the air and trees made of crystal shimmer in the sun. Where a mystical Island of Wishes awaits and an evil Storm King looms in the shadows of history.

When the Storm King rises again, Fischer must face his past and brave the three trials of the Island of Wishes to save both his friend and his own world. For if he runs away again, they will all fall to ruin.

Thanks for reading!
Please let me know if you'd like to beta read this. My email is saisei84@hotmail.com

message 46: by B (new)

B P Baggett (bpbaggett) | 107 comments Hello,

My name is Ben Baggett, I am the Author of four fantasy books, the legends of Aeolyne, heroes of Aeolyne v. 1&2 and Mynabarda. I am a sole creator of my fantasy universe and I love it. I am open to chats and questions about my books. I am looking for beta readers.

My books on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...

My Facebook

https://m.facebook.com/veldorian.mode...

My Goodreads

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

YouTube channel

https://youtu.be/fqPggLhUxX4

message 47: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Tobleman (monsterreader) | 15 comments Ok, apparently I had my notifications turned off.

I am a book editor, blogger, and writer.
I Beta read Fantasy and Science Fiction, children's through Adult fiction. I love reading from new authors and eventually seeing their books on shelves. (If it's a Children's-Teen fiction, I usually get one copy for our library to share with our students). And nothing beats letters from authors to the students (hint hint)

I respond better to personal messaging on Good reads than to this feed. I am still Beta reading, and I just finished three. If you are interested in having me beta read your work, please PM my Good Reads account with details. (It can be hard to find my post in Beta reading).

I do not charge for Beta reading. I find it a fun experience (most of the time 😬). If I can't finish a beta read (for any reason) I will let you now quickly. The biggest reasons I do not finish Beta reading are a manuscript that is not Beta ready, and containing subject matter I have no interest in reviewing.

Please do read the type of books I Beta:

I do NOT Beta romance, erotica, or anything involving sex with a child (that means 17 or younger) or other inappropriate relationships (teacher/student, parent/ adult child, siblings). It's not that it isn't a fantastic book or story, it is just not something I have interest in Beta reading. Please do not ask me to read or send me a story with that content. I get angry when I realize an author thought so little of my time to disregard my guidelines.

I am not an Alpha reader, so if your novel is hard to read, or filled with a lot of errors, please search for a good group of Alpha readers. (For a quick explanation: https://www.swoonreads.com/blog/ask-e...)

As a note, if I do Beta read for you and you have not heard from me after two weeks, please email me again. I recently discovered the pages of comments and annotated PDF I had made for an author had been stuck in GMail limbo for two months.

My blog is on hiatus while the School decides what it's new digital policy will be, but you can still read my new reviews on Good Reads and old reviews on www.readmeplease.com

message 48: by Robert (new)

Robert Ainsworth | 5 comments Lisa,

I'd be pleased if you would beta read
my completed crime thriller manuscript, A Fraud of the Ponzi Kind (83,000 words) that introduces Harold Arthur Bartlett III, a Boston-based, wealthy ex-financial executive on a mission to recover stolen funds for fraud victims. A $5m lost investment and missing investment advisor case pits Harry and his team against a murderous crime organization disguised as a legitimate business. Using specially trained con artists, two criminal masterminds steal millions of dollars using Ponzi schemes and corporate embezzlement.
Fueled by his family’s financial ruin from the original Ponzi scheme in 1920, Harry uses computer hacking, the fraud victims, wire-tapping, an employee at the legitimate business and access to a secret government financial database to trap the fraudsters.

Looking forward to your response.
Bob

message 49: by Mark (new)

Mark Kasniak | 19 comments Hi, Lisa

If you're still looking for books to beta read, I have four I'm looking to have critiqued.

An angels and demons and witches thriller - 74K
A zombie novel that puts a twist on the genre - 73K
A young adult/adult dystopian other worldly thriller - 103K
And, a ghost story - 83K

They are all complete except the ghost story, it is in an editing faze. If any of these sound interesting to you, I can send you a description of them or a completed manuscript. Thanks.

message 50: by Madi (new)

Madi (decypherling) | 2 comments Hello, Lisa!

My name is Madison and am currently looking for a beta reader for my YA fantasy novel, "Fae Ruins". It's a work in progress manuscript with only a few chapters to its name, but I really want some tips on what I've written so far before I move ahead with my work. From grammatical errors to problems in sentences/paragraph flow and structure to even general plot holes, I just want to do my best with my first work out there.

If you're willing to do so, I just want to say thank you for even considering.

I'm looking forward to a response!
Madison