Waverley Library Bookclub discussion

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Love it or Hate it? Discuss

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RAB (new) - rated it 3 stars

RAB (winkpictures) | 11 comments Mod
For people who couldn't make it to this months book club let your thoughts and opinions be heard.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Great work Rachel - man am I not enjoying this book - really bummed - this won so many awards and its just a struggle and Dave Eggers his kind of a douche. I think he's a great writer and there a moments of clarity and perfection and moving dialogue but its sooo random

message 3: by RAB (new) - rated it 3 stars

RAB (winkpictures) | 11 comments Mod
It's so funny you say that, at the last book club there were only 6 of us, and none of us liked the book. In fact I was the only one who was able to stomach it long enough to finish it!

message 4: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1 comments Finally have had time to start reading the book! And i'm scared to admit that so far i am actually enjoying it! Only 130 pages in though and expecting a downhill slide - but so far i'm really liking the writing and not hating the characters. We shall see...

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah i found the start and the end the strongest parts - granted the cancer part was strong but his way of describing the scene was really unique and I found that he tied up the story well - but it was a rollercoaster of up and down.

His overreactions, dream sequences and self obsessed neurotic behaviour through me big time [ but he is a great writer - he knows how to write ]

Well ive almost finished fight club too :] my favourite author - hopefully not to full on [ its a mens read for sure]

Currently om my 40th book for the year so have decided to move me challenge to 60 books for the year!!