Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Book has been assigned to the *other* Richard Parry

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard Parry (richard_parry) | 46 comments Night's Favour

I wrote this book :) It's no longer assigned to my profile though. As near as I can tell, this happened about the same time that I published the sequel (Night's Fall). Amazon would have done a wee update, and boom, it's now on someone else's shelf.

I can't remedy this myself - I need the help of a Librarian. Can anyone help?

For evidence, you can check my author page on Amazon, which shows all three of my works assigned to me (correctly).
http://www.amazon.com/Richard-Parry/e...

message 2: by Bea (last edited Jun 15, 2016 01:42PM) (new)

Bea Done. Your profile has two spaces between first and last name.

message 3: by Richard (new)

Richard Parry (richard_parry) | 46 comments Bea wrote: "Done. Your profile has two spaces between first and last name."

Yeah, so about that. I've tried to change that, and I get an error that says only a librarian can edit book blah blah blah :) I expect this is because there's some cascade that tries to update my books as well.

So how do I edit my author name?

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Jun 15, 2016 06:53PM) (new)

rivka | 43574 comments Mod
Because we have more than one author named Richard Parry, you are Richard-2space-Parry. The extra space between your first and last names only shows up on book edit pages and your profile edit page, but it tells the system which books are yours. When adding a book manually, be sure to include the extra space, and the book will go where it belongs. If you forget (or a book record is imported), post a new thread in this group and any librarian can fix it for you.

message 5: by Richard (new)

Richard Parry (richard_parry) | 46 comments rivka wrote: "Because we have more than one author named Richard Parry, you are Richard-2psace-Parry. The extra space between your first and last names only shows up on book edit pages and your profile edit page..."

Perfect, thanks for that. Makes sense - now I understand how the mighty machine works :)

Man, this community responds FAST. Thanks to both for your help.