Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > What's next?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (new)

Brian | 6 comments So I just finished my first novel, Ancient Fables. I’m excited, but it’s a different kind of excitement…maybe it’s adrenaline, or restlessness. I don’t know. What I really don’t know is if I should celebrate, go on vacation, market, or jump right back into writing another book. Okay, I’ll definitely celebrate…but I was wondering what you veterans do. Do you take a break? Or do you continue to write while ideas are fresh or brewing?

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 888 comments Sleep on it Brian.

Speaking purely personally, I had two days of euphoria. Then the next story was knockin' at my head.

message 3: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4333 comments Mod
It's different for everyone. Some need a break. Some just keep plowing on. For me, "vacation" usually means checking into a motel for a couple days so I can write in a new environment.

Marketing your book is good, important, even crucial. But, if you really want to boost sales, get that next book and then the next out when you can. Maybe get a couple of short stories out.

message 4: by E.M. (new)

E.M. Swift-Hook | 41 comments Brian wrote: "Do you take a break? Or do you continue to write while ideas are fresh or brewing? "

Not a veteran at publishing, but my own feelings when I finish a book is to go on into the next whilst still on the buzz. It means you avoid the 'blank page' sensation and get all excited about the new book so miss the last one less.

That said, maybe other people don't miss books they have been writing - perhaps that is only me....

message 5: by Nat (new)

Nat Kennedy | 320 comments Great job Brian!!!

It totally depends. I tend to have ideas always bubbling around, so I tend to jot down my next plot, world or characters. But I do take a break. I read books I've been waiting to read or catch up on tv shows. Sometimes those areas had add more juice to your creativity.

Either way, celebrate. You did a huge thing right there. You wrote a book!

message 6: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments First of, take a deep breath. You've succeeded. Take time to realize that. Then, it's your choice. If you have ideas coming in and you don't want to lose the momentum, I'd suggest you continue writing, but if you feel empty, don't be ashamed to take a much deserved break. It's really up to you. No two people are the same.

Either way, Congratulations are in order. :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Congrats!

What you do next is entirely up to you. I spent a little time basking in the pride. Then I was back at it because the writing bug took me over like a hunger. If the hunger isn't there then don't force yourself to immediately get back to writing. You've accomplished something great and shoud appreciate that :D

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 972 comments Hi Brian! My sincerest congratulations to you! That's wonderful. I'm working on my first book and intend to self-publish and looking forward to feeling how you do now. Everyone here is absolutely right. It's your great accomplishment to be celebrated in your own way. Make this moment memorable!

...and then get back to work! : )

message 9: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) | 424 comments Congrats! When I finished my first I went into hunting mode. Hunting for an editor and a cover artist. I spent more time that I'd like to admit browsing deviantArt trying to find a style of art I liked.

message 10: by Brian (last edited Jun 16, 2016 05:48AM) (new)

Brian | 6 comments Thanks everyone. Great ideas/suggestions. I decided I'm going to try to do a 'little' of everything, because I definitely need to catch up on some sleep (it's still hard for me to do...with all the excitement and all); I need to catch up on missed TV shows; I need to catch up on some books I want to read; I need to tell everyone they can now read my work; I definitely need to write...

I heard the next book helps sell the previous one, so that's encouraging.

message 11: by Eldon, Lost on the road to Mordor (new)

Eldon Farrell | 430 comments Mod
Brian wrote: "Thanks everyone. Great ideas/suggestions. I decided I'm going to try to do a 'little' of everything, because I definitely need to catch up on some sleep (it's still hard for me to do...with all the..."

Congratulations Brian!! I remember the day I finished my first novel...it's quite a rush. Excelsior!!

message 12: by Eva (new)

Eva Pasco (evapasco) | 90 comments Congratulations, Brian!

Not a veteran by any means, but it's my nature to always hit the ground running. In March, after carefully proofing my finished product, I sent it off to publication because during the project I had scouted out my route. That's what I suggest--find the self-publication path that is right for you, and pursue it.

Wishing you the best of luck.

message 13: by Dana Hammer (new)

Dana Hammer | 2 comments I have a glass of celebration Champagne (or cheap sparkling wine from the grocery store, if that's what I have on hand) and then I take a day or two "vacation" before writing anything new. I've got a lot of projects though, and not much time to write, so I can't really take much more time off than that.

message 14: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Reber | 181 comments Brian wrote: "So I just finished my first novel, Ancient Fables. I’m excited, but it’s a different kind of excitement…maybe it’s adrenaline, or restlessness. I don’t know. What I really don’t know is if I should..."

I've only been published for a year now, but have a trilogy, a series of five novellas and two other books all published. What I'm saying, is that if I took a break from writing, I'd lose my mind. Whatever you feel like doing is what you should do, but keep your eyes open. Look for inspiration. If you go on vacation, I hate you, because I can't afford one! !-) Have fun though!