Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > 30 days of Books: Day 30

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1268 comments Can you believe today is the last day? I can't! This has been a fun event. I've really enjoyed sharing my choices for each of the prompts. And, I've especially enjoyed reading the responses from all those who've participated. Thanks so much for making this so much fun!

The final prompt is your favorite book of all time. Asking this question is like asking a parent to choose their favorite child. I have so many favorites books. I feel a little guilty putting one above the rest. But, if I truly think about my favorite books, one stands out as my all-time favorite.

I'm choosing Dune by Frank Herbert. I read Dune for the first time when I was a junior in high school. It was part of a reading assignment in my Science Fiction class.

Many of you know I hated to read until about nine years ago. In fact, I avoided reading at all costs when I was in high school and during the first couple of years of college. I knew it was important, yet it didn’t interest me. When I was assigned a book to read, I'd hunt down obscure movies or read the summations in CliffNotes (SparkNotes's predecessor) to pass my quizzes and tests rather than cracking open the dreaded novel. If there weren’t summations or a movie, I guessed my way through the assignments and was even content with failing that part of the class if it happened.

One of the only books I read was Dune. It was only because the story interested me enough that I endured the arduous task of reading. When I read the synopsis for Dune, I decided to give it a try. I enjoyed it so much that it became my favorite book.

Before I started reading for real about nine years ago, I had read Dune twice. It was the only book I had ever reread. I’ve now read Dune a total of five times and I guarantee I’ll read it again. It's my life's mission to get others to read it if they haven't. It took me three years to convince my IRL book club to read it, but we finally read it last May. Unfortunately, no one truly loved it as much as I do. But, a couple of people did at least enjoy it, and that's all I can really ask.

Now, I just need to take the time to finally read the rest of the series, but I'll be honest, I'm scared to. I'm afraid those books won't live up to Dune. I'm afraid they'll ruin my love for Dune. And, frankly, Dune is good by itself so I'm kind of content with the story just the way it is.

What is your favorite book of all time?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 195 comments Around the world in 80 Days by Jules Verne.

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5645 comments To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee To Kill a Mockingbird

I've read this at least 20 times since I first read it as a 13-year-old freshman in high school (back when it was a relatively new book!).

I own multiple copies, including a first edition hardcover (obviously water damaged) that I bought at our Friends of the LIbrary sale.

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments Gone With the Wind. Followed closely by Pride and Prejudice. But GWTW by a nose...

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara.

message 6: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4917 comments Impossible! But I will probably throw my vote in for To Kill a Mockingbird.

message 7: by JoLene (last edited Jun 15, 2016 06:53PM) (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Very hard to pick just one because certain books speak to you at the time that you read them.

I think that I'm going to go with A Prayer for Owen Meany. This is one that I have read a couple of times and it is LOL funny but also sad.

BTW --- thanks Jenni and all who participated. This was really fun to get to know you guys a bit better through your responses!

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8309 comments Impossible - but I am going to go with the Shadow of the Wind.

message 9: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 824 comments Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut really affected me, and is one of the few books I have re-read. I'll go with that.

message 10: by Red52 (new)

Red52 Love in the Time of Cholera
This book started a love affair with Latin Authors that continues to this day.

message 11: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Gone with the Wind

I have lots of favorites but this is the one hat springs to mind immediately.

message 12: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments The Lord of the Rings (The Lord of the Rings, #1-3) by J.R.R. Tolkien . Love this trilogy!