Horror Aficionados discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Reads > July 2016 Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Char (last edited Jun 15, 2016 11:46AM) (new)

Char  | 13911 comments Mod
Here is a place to nominate books for our July Group Read. This month we have a theme which is: CREATURE FEATURES!

Creature features consist of stories about any kind of monsters/plant/animals/forces of nature. They can be fun and silly and/or dangerous and deadly. Don't be afraid to second a previous nomination as books with more than one vote have a greater chance of making it to the final poll. We're starting early this month-nominations will be open until 6.24 at which point the polls will go up.
Authors: nominating your own books is not allowed and will result in deletion from this thread.

Speak now Aficionados or forever hold your peace!

message 2: by Amanda (new)

message 3: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 1524 comments Mod
I'd like to nominate The Montauk Monster The Montauk Monster by Hunter Shea by Hunter Shea.

message 4: by Valentina (new)

Valentina | 2 comments I'd like to nominate Anastasia by Victoria FaustAnastazijaViktoria Faust

message 5: by Bicho (new)

Bicho | 175 comments Clickers by J.F. Gonzalez because of GIANT CRABS!!! :D

message 6: by Randy (new)

Randy | 103 comments Great topic. I just read this but thought it was fantastic

Dweller Dweller by Jeff Strand

message 7: by Char (new)

Randy wrote: "Great topic. I just read this but thought it was fantastic

DwellerDweller by Jeff Strand"

(I LOVED Dweller too!)

message 9: by Char (new)

Mallory Heart Recommends wrote: "Pressure"

Yep, that's the book that put me in a creature feature frame of mind!

message 10: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5860 comments Mod
VOSTOK, by Steve Alten Vostok by Steve Alten , and I'll second DWELLER, by Jeff Strand Dweller by Jeff Strand

message 11: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Kiernan | 108 comments I'd like to nominate Breeding Ground Breeding Ground by Sarah Pinborough by Sarah Pinborough

message 12: by Mike (new)

Mike Wallace | -86 comments Charlene wrote: "Mallory Heart Recommends wrote: "Pressure"

Yep, that's the book that put me in a creature feature frame of mind!"

Pressure sounds like a winner to me.
Pressure by Brian Keene

message 13: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (moviegirlfreak88) | 10 comments Charlene wrote: "Randy wrote: "Great topic. I just read this but thought it was fantastic

(I LOVED Dweller too!)"

VERY good book!

message 14: by Shannon (last edited Jun 15, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Shannon (moviegirlfreak88) | 10 comments I nominate Nightcrawlers by Tim Curran :)

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Ken wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Montauk Monster The Montauk Monster by Hunter Shea by Hunter Shea."

I love that book , that's the first book I read in 2015 , it got me out of a really bad read slump ,

message 16: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 2980 comments Mod
I'll suggest Origin by J.A. Konrath Origin by JA Konrath

message 17: by Rachel (last edited Jun 15, 2016 01:35PM) (new)

Rachel | 2 comments I would like to nominate Relic by Douglas Preston

message 18: by Sally (new)

Sally (starlina) I;d like to nominate The Night It Got Out by Patrick James Ryan. :)

message 19: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth The Hatching by Ezekiel Boone by Ezekiel Boone spiders are not just to be feared, but also may well spell doom for mankind, Scorpions by Mike Cook by Mike Cook( scorpions)

message 21: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments I nominated this one not long ago, think it fits this category as well.

The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham
The Day of the Triffids

message 22: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 7 comments I'd like to nominate Rolling in the Deep. By Mira Grant.

message 23: by JaeRavenClaw (new)

JaeRavenClaw (angelouspeacock) | 486 comments Elizabeth wrote: "The Hatching by Ezekiel Booneby Ezekiel Boone spiders are not just to be feared, but also may well spell doom for mankind, Scorpions by Mike Cook by [author:Mike Cook|..."

I'm terrified already

message 24: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments PRESSURE by THE Brian Keene! ;)

message 25: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments Although DWELLER is a good choice, along with the Tim Curran. I've read both, along with the new Keene.

message 26: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 1524 comments Mod
Elizabeth wrote: "Ken wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Montauk Monster The Montauk Monster by Hunter Shea by Hunter Shea."

I love that book , that's the first book I read in 2..."

I think Shea is a great storyteller and he's at his best in his cryptozoology novels.

message 27: by Shane (new)

Shane Douglas Douglas (shanedkeene) | 0 comments I'll jump on board with The Hatching. The Hatching

message 28: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Jae wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "The Hatching by Ezekiel Booneby Ezekiel Boone spiders are not just to be feared, but also may well spell doom for mankind, Scorpions by Mike Cook by ..."

its really good, its only the first book but it still good

message 29: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10848 comments Mod
I have no idea what to suggest since this is out of my usual realm of reading but I want to vote & participate when the time comes.

message 30: by Bayden (new)

Bayden Hammond | 7 comments Randy wrote: "Great topic. I just read this but thought it was fantastic

Oh yes this has been on my to-read list for a while :-)

message 31: by Bayden (new)

Bayden Hammond | 7 comments The Ruins

Absolutely loved this one, unrelenting terror the entire time.

message 32: by Joe (new)

Joe | 7 comments Richard Laymon - THE CELLAR

message 33: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Mcgrath | 157 comments As much as I hate spiders , Pressure by Brian Keene sounds good.I love a good story about giant predators in the sea.

message 34: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 908 comments Rats and Lair by james Herbert

message 35: by Twerking (new)

Twerking To Beethoven | 24 comments Dweller, it is!

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd like to second "The Day of the Triffids" (John Wyndham) and suggest "The Island of Dr. Moreau" (H.G. Wells).

message 37: by Mike (new)

Mike Driver | 29 comments I'd like to nominate "Darker Than You Think" by Jack Williamson and "The Terror" by Dan Simmons

message 38: by Jason (new)

Jason Parent | 741 comments I've never read "The Day of the Triffids" so would throw my hand up for that. "Dweller" is awesome, but I've read it. Still, plenty of good ones to choose from!

message 39: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryjane70) | 36 comments I second Clickers.

message 40: by Jared (new)

Jared Lee | 3 comments Dweller sounds good.

message 41: by Kimberly (new)

Jared wrote: "Dweller sounds good."

I've been meaning to read that for so long now--it seems the perfect month for a group read of it!!

message 42: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 2980 comments Mod
Jae wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "The Hatching by Ezekiel Booneby Ezekiel Boone spiders are not just to be feared, but also may well spell doom for mankind, Scorpions by Mike Cook by ..."

While I think The Hatching would be a good choice, it isn't being released until July 5 so it may be a bit difficult to get a copy of it right away. It may be a better choice for August.

message 43: by Empress Reece (Hooked on Books) (last edited Jun 16, 2016 09:06AM) (new)

Empress Reece (Hooked on Books) (empressreece) | 86 comments I'd like to nominate Meg (MEG, #1) by Steve Alten
and The Hatching sounds good too me too. I've been wanting to read both.

message 44: by Ed (new)

Ed (BlackSabbathEd) Anything but The Montauk Monster. It's silly and not worth wasting the group read on. I barely got through 1/2 of it before tossing it.

To be fair I'm not really a Hunter Shea fan IMO his books are geared more towards teenager mentality.

Clickers sounds good, Dwellers sounds good, Day of the Triffids is good.

message 45: by Char (new)

Kimberly wrote: "Jared wrote: "Dweller sounds good."

I've been meaning to read that for so long now--it seems the perfect month for a group read of it!!"

*gasp* You've not read Dweller? And you being the Strand fan you are?

message 46: by Char (new)

We have some great nominations going on here. Keep 'em coming!

message 47: by Ian (new)

Ian (daphne324) | 2 comments Frankenstein by Mary Shelley Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

message 48: by Kevin (last edited Jun 16, 2016 02:45PM) (new)

Kevin Fitzsimmons The Nest by Gregory A. Douglas The Nest

There are so many good books! I would like to recommend this one because it is a heck of a lot of fun.

message 49: by Kimberly (new)

Charlene wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Jared wrote: "Dweller sounds good."

I've been meaning to read that for so long now--it seems the perfect month for a group read of it!!"

*gasp* You've not read Dweller? And you b..."

Am I be sent back into the box of shame??? ;)

message 50: by Bayden (new)

Bayden Hammond | 7 comments Okay, so whether it gets the final vote or not, this thread has finally convinced me to buy Dweller! It was actually a bit hard to find here in Australia!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.