Perustopia Book Club discussion

What should my sister read?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Cartwright (jessicart15) | 321 comments Im trying to persuade my sister to read but im not having much luck. I was wondering if you guys had any book recommendations for her (she's 14)

message 2: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Bazemore | 37 comments Well, aren't we in the same boat? I'm trying to get my sister to read as well, but alas, I can never get her to pick up a god dang book. However, I am 14 as well, and I would say the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. Or just go the sneaky route, and make her watch the first Hunger Games or Divergent movie, and if she likes it, tell her that said movie is a book when the movie is over.

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Cartwright (jessicart15) | 321 comments Matthew wrote: "Well, aren't we in the same boat? I'm trying to get my sister to read as well, but alas, I can never get her to pick up a god dang book. However, I am 14 as well, and I would say the Mortal Instrum..."

I will try thanks. Although she did pick up Divergent she didnt continue with it.

message 4: by Martha (new)

Martha | 42 comments I've been trying for years to get my sister to read. She wishes she could like reading. The Lunar Chronicles is a great series to start! Who doesn't like fairy tale retellings??

message 5: by Matt (new)

Matt Wells | 60 comments Maybe Harry Potter or the Hunger Games? Have her read a few Grimm Fairy Tales.

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Cartwright (jessicart15) | 321 comments Martha Bollich wrote: "I've been trying for years to get my sister to read. She wishes she could like reading. The Lunar Chronicles is a great series to start! Who doesn't like fairy tale retellings??"

Youll be insane not to like retellings

message 7: by Ayih (new)

Ayih (ayihelbaneh) | 55 comments Ik when i was her age, i read Divergent, Harry Potter series and loved them, but the Blood of Eden series will definitely attract her attention!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

My sister is also 14 and I am always trying to get her to read. I finally convinced her to read The Mortal Instruments and she loved it. She also read Percy Jackson and The Olympians and Harry Potter. She also just started The Lunar Chronicles and is already hooked.

Nilun (BooktasticNerd)  (booktasticnerd) | 191 comments At that age I think fun muddle grade adventures are perfect. Maybe try Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Or The Isle of the Lost and it's sequel Return to the Isle of the Lost by Melissa de la Cruz. Hard to go wrong with Harry Potter. If you want to go more light and contemporary try The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot. Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella. Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell. Hope that helps. :-)

message 10: by Ayih (new)

Ayih (ayihelbaneh) | 55 comments Did u ask her what genre she likes? Maybe some movies she likes will give you a hint of what to expect.

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Cartwright (jessicart15) | 321 comments Ayih wrote: "Did u ask her what genre she likes? Maybe some movies she likes will give you a hint of what to expect."

She literally hasnt read anything since she was like 9. And doeant want to read books turned films because "the film is better".

message 12: by Ayih (new)

Ayih (ayihelbaneh) | 55 comments Lol, she's a puzzle.

Well, tell her to finish one whole book (as a challenge) and then she can judge from then, and the book has to be your choosing.

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Cartwright (jessicart15) | 321 comments Ayih wrote: "Lol, she's a puzzle.

Well, tell her to finish one whole book (as a challenge) and then she can judge from then, and the book has to be your choosing."

I will try that and see where it goes from there.

message 14: by Ayih (new)

Ayih (ayihelbaneh) | 55 comments Okay, sounds good! Hopefully, things will go well! MAYBE YOU BOTH CAN HAVE A BOOK CLUB OF YOUR OWN TOGETHER! You both can think of something, and reading together will make your relationship as sisters grow immensely!

Nilun (BooktasticNerd)  (booktasticnerd) | 191 comments Some other great recommendations are anything by Sarah Dessen and Jenny Han.

message 16: by Iris (new)

Iris Bratton (b-ratton) Movies based on books is a good route to to (Harry Potter, Hunger Games, etc.)! Also try the Lunar Chronicles as fairy tale retellings are often popular for this age group. Good luck!

message 17: by Iris (new)

Iris Bratton (b-ratton) Jessica wrote: "Ayih wrote: "Did u ask her what genre she likes? Maybe some movies she likes will give you a hint of what to expect."

She literally hasnt read anything since she was like 9. And doeant want to rea..."

I just had a heart attack at what she said. This poor girl doesn't know what she's missing!

message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate (mjett5578) What genres is she particularly interested in?

message 19: by Anna (new)

Anna | 146 comments Harry Potter is one of the most popular ones. Maybe the Lunar Chronicles or the Mortal Instruments but those are fairly big books if you're just starting to read. Also try the Percy Jackson series. If she doesn't like those some other good books would be Finding Audrey, The Night Circus (I loved that book), Looking for Alaska, The Fault in our stars, The Hunger Games, Divergent, and The Maze Runner.

message 20: by Meg (new)

Meg Chia (bibliophilogy) (bibliophilogy) | 54 comments i'm 14! i think i'd prefer YA and fantasy! you could start with just easy light funny reads like harry potter then watch the movie! then go to pjo and hoo and then u'll plunge into the BOOK WORLD!!!!

message 21: by Jessica (last edited Jun 16, 2016 01:42AM) (new)

Jessica Cartwright (jessicart15) | 321 comments Kate wrote: "What genres is she particularly interested in?"

She doesnt really read at all. I think 'genre' is an unknown word to her. Lol

message 22: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Hermawan (ashleyhermawan) | 40 comments Get her to watch shadowhunters or city of bones and when she's done tell her to read the books to know what happens next, cuz that way she has no other choice than to read if she wants to know what happens next

message 23: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Cartwright (jessicart15) | 321 comments Ashley wrote: "Get her to watch shadowhunters or city of bones and when she's done tell her to read the books to know what happens next, cuz that way she has no other choice than to read if she wants to know what..."

That is a good idea. I might try that thank you.

message 24: by Nora (new)

Nora (norahreads) | 20 comments I would recommend the Percy Jackson books. They're easy enough to read, not too long, and educational too. Plus, they're absolutely hilarious. You don't have to be a guy to like them either, there is a totally awesome female lead. It's the series that kind of kicked off my love for reading ❤️.

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 7 comments I'd get her something short and sweet. Something she can easily read and jumps into the story quickly. It's been a long time since I've read good books for young teenagers, but I think like girly contemporary book might be good for her. If she prefers more action/adventure/fantasy Percy Jackson is good. Idk about Harry Potter just yet because it can seem too long if she really doesn't get into it.

message 26: by Xoxoasia (new)

Xoxoasia | 103 comments A great read would be the Throne of Glass series. It has an amazing main character that almost anyone can relate to. It has alot of action, making it alot more interesting. I recommend this book to literally everyone.

message 27: by Arnika (new)

Arnika | 47 comments THRONE OF GLASS

message 28: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Ippensen | 33 comments It depends on how old she is

message 29: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Ippensen | 33 comments The selection series

message 30: by Xoxoasia (new)

Xoxoasia | 103 comments @Sydney Even though I did not enjoy the Selection series, it is definitely a good read for a 14 year old getting into reading.