The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die, #1)
This topic is about Dorothy Must Die
ARCHIVE - BOTM discussions > Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige - July 2016

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 4598 comments Our BOTM for July is Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige. Please discuss here and remember to use spoiler tags as needed, as everyone may start at different times and reads at different speeds.

Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die, #1) by Danielle Paige

I didn't ask for any of this. I didn't ask to be some kind of hero.

But when your whole life gets swept up by a tornado - taking you with it - you have no choice but to go along, you know?

Sure, I've read the books. I've seen the movies. I know the song about the rainbow and the happy little bluebirds. But I never expected Oz to look like this. To be a place where Good Witches can't be trusted, Wicked Witches may just be the good guys, and winged monkeys can be executed for acts of rebellion. There's still a yellow brick road - but even that's crumbling.

What happened? Dorothy.

They say she found a way to come back to Oz. They say she seized power and the power went to her head. And now no one is safe.

My name is Amy Gumm - and I'm the other girl from Kansas.

I've been recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked.

I've been trained to fight.

And I have a mission.

Crimson Worthen- | 15 comments started early and im really enjoying this one.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 18 comments I have had this book for like two or three years I think. I'm going to try to read it too :-)

message 4: by Norada (new) - added it

Norada | 4 comments I'm going to try to start reading this tonight or tomorrow. It's Shark Week, I can't deal haha!

~Michelle~ (mlundy5) I had to read this one a little early when it was available on Overdrive. I can't wait to take part in the discussion!

message 6: by Eli (new) - added it

Eli I bought this book as soon as it came out but still haven't read it. Finally, the push I've been looking for.

message 7: by Cecily (new)

Cecily Shea | 142 comments ~Michelle~ wrote: "I had to read this one a little early when it was available on Overdrive. I can't wait to take part in the discussion!"

Sounds like a forced plot? Did you like it?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I just got an ebook of this from my library, and I'll hopefully try to read it soon!

Crimson Worthen- | 15 comments I didnt like it. I think its just the fact that a childhood fairytale was twisted and made evil. Im guessing that if it had been its own story and not a spinoff of the wizard of oz, i probably would have liked it because the writing was okay. Kind of felt like when we as children realized that santa and everybody was made up. This was oz....dont mess with it!

mollusskka | 25 comments I'm getting ready for this one, perhaps tomorrow. And I intentionally read The Wizard of Oz first before I get my hands on this one. I don't know, maybe to get into the character even better. To know why she really wants Dorothy die.

Emma-Jane Goode | 11 comments I enjoyed this book. I like the way she has taken a classic and turned it around. Everyone wonders what happens after and now we have the answer.
SPOILER: Am a little disappointed that the book sort of ends halfway through the story - will need to get book two but did feel that the story could have been completed in one book.

~Michelle~ (mlundy5) Cecily wrote: "~Michelle~ wrote: "I had to read this one a little early when it was available on Overdrive. I can't wait to take part in the discussion!"

Sounds like a forced plot? Did you like it?"

I did like it, Cecily! I tend to enjoy most fairy tale re-tellings, though. Have you had a chance to read it yet? What are your thoughts?

~Michelle~ (mlundy5) Emma-Jane wrote: "I enjoyed this book. I like the way she has taken a classic and turned it around. Everyone wonders what happens after and now we have the answer.
SPOILER: Am a little disappointed that the book so..."

I enjoyed it, too, Emma-Jane! I usually enjoy a good re-telling. I can't wait to read the second book and see what happens next!!

Vikki | 4 comments I was a little let down because I thought this book would be a little bit better. And Tin Woodman, instead of Tin WoodSman annoyed the hell out of me. But that was probably just me. It could easily have been told in one book, and I'm not really compelled to read the next one...

I like the fact that she turned Dorothy evil, most re-tellings are different POVs or the main character is someone different that has been dropped into a replica of the original story, so that was refreshing.

K. D. (bookaholic_kd) I was a little disappointed with this book too. The first half was intriguing and captivating, but the second half was tedious. I'm still contemplating if I should read the next book, but I think the author could have wrapped everything up in the first.

Jennifer Rodriguez (jnielynn) | 4 comments I am going to start this book today. I have seen it in the bookstore quite a few times and picked it up but never reached the counter with it until now. I am hoping it will not be a disappointment!

message 18: by Betty (new)

Betty (betamagnificus) I read the first few chapters but it didn't grip me. The writing and the way the story is told is nothing for me. I simply lost interest.

Colleen (Colleensreadingadventures) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 47 comments A little late but I'm starting this book today. Thoughts to follow.

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 1571 comments I listened to most of Dorothy Must Die Stories (Dorothy Must Die, #0.1-0.3) by Danielle Paige , but the narrators voice for the 3rd story was annoying, and I got Dorothy Must Die Stories Vol. 2 (Dorothy Must Die, #0.4-0.6) by Danielle Paige from the library and am waiting to get The Wicked Will Rise (Dorothy Must Die, #2) by Danielle Paige from the library.

I thought the book was great and highly recommend the novellas or novella collections because they explain more of the secondary characters including Dorothy back stories as to how Oz got that way.

Colleen (Colleensreadingadventures) Scidmore (colleensreadingadventures) | 47 comments I'm on Chapter 7 and not sure if I'm really liking this book yet. I like the idea of the book..I think it's a clever spin of the original story but I'm not sure if I like the author's writing style to be frank. It doesn't flow well to me. Maybe it will get better.

Jennifer Rodriguez (jnielynn) | 4 comments I am halfway through the book, and I must say that I do like it. I am happy that it is not another retelling of the wizard of oz but something a bit different. I love the dark twist to Oz that she has and how she integrated the modern day girl into it. So far so good.

message 23: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna | 16 comments I read this a while back and I remember being disappointed with it... Might be because I had to high expectations since I really loved the synopsis of it.

I did like the dark twist though, that was a fun change!

Joann Im | 30 comments I may be in the minority but I actually did not enjoy this book very much. I actually read the Dorothy Must Die: Stories first before diving into Dorothy Must Die. I enjoyed the prequel over the actual 1st book of the series. The prequel was much more enjoyable because it introduced the characters and explained a little bit of their backstory before diving into Dorothy Must Die. I also thought it was interesting to see how Dorothy transitions into her evil self and what drove her to become evil.

After reading the novellas I was kind of looking forward to Dorothy Must Die but I actually ended up feeling a little confused. I didn't know how and what to feel about this book. The protagonist Amy just really annoyed me despite the fact she was a teenager. I felt like the premise of the story had potential but the characters are just not likable, especially Amy. I still haven't made up my mind if I want to read more books from this series to find out how it ends or just give up altogether.

mollusskka | 25 comments I just finished reading this book, too. And I really really really loved it. Can't wait to read the second book! :D

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 1571 comments I've been reading the novellas and not liking some of those as much