The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

11/22/63
This topic is about 11/22/63
ARCHIVE - BOTM discussions > 11/22/63 by Stephen King - July 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 5093 comments Our Themed BOTM for July is 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Please discuss here and remember to use spoiler tags as needed, as everyone may start at different times and reads at different speeds.

11/22/63 by Stephen King

Life can turn on a dime—or stumble into the extraordinary, as it does for Jake Epping, a high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine. While grading essays by his GED students, Jake reads a gruesome, enthralling piece penned by janitor Harry Dunning: fifty years ago, Harry somehow survived his father’s sledgehammer slaughter of his entire family. Jake is blown away...but an even more bizarre secret comes to light when Jake’s friend Al, owner of the local diner, enlists Jake to take over the mission that has become his obsession—to prevent the Kennedy assassination. How? By stepping through a portal in the diner’s storeroom, and into the era of Ike and Elvis, of big American cars, sock hops, and cigarette smoke... Finding himself in warmhearted Jodie, Texas, Jake begins a new life. But all turns in the road lead to a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald. The course of history is about to be rewritten...and become heart-stoppingly suspenseful.

Anna | 19 comments Very convenient for me, since I bought this novel only a couple of months ago. It looks as if it contains many of the elements from a classic SK story (a character from Maine, some of the story takes place in the fifties, crazy psychopaths and mass murder etc). I will start reading it right away and I look forward to the discussions in this thread :)

Crimson Worthen- | 15 comments i was excited to read this so i started it early. almost half way now. its amazingly great so far!

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 5093 comments Wow! That's great, Crimson. It's quite chunky.

message 5: by Dutchy (new) - added it

Dutchy | 4 comments Starting this book at the end of the month, excited to read it!

message 6: by Emma-Jane (new) - added it

Emma-Jane Goode | 11 comments I have already read this book and i enjoyed it very much! It is definitely one of my favourites of Stephen King along with The Stand and The Green Mile!

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 1571 comments I tried to read this book but could never finish it!

Kristy | 43 comments I also could never get into this book.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 18 comments I just bought this recently!! Yessss :-)

Caroline | 6 comments I ordered this book-should be here any day now. This is my first book club on goodreads. Anything I should know about how this all works?

Caroline | 6 comments Ok maybe patience with the post button. Sorry about that......

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 1571 comments Caroline wrote: "Ok maybe patience with the post button. Sorry about that......"

just delete them

message 13: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 5093 comments Caroline wrote: "Ok maybe patience with the post button. Sorry about that......"

Hahaha...I deleted the extras. :)

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jun 26, 2016 08:09AM) (new) - added it

Kristie | 5093 comments Caroline wrote: "I ordered this book-should be here any day now. This is my first book club on goodreads. Anything I should know about how this all works?"

Welcome to our book club!

For monthly reading, just make sure you follow the nominations and polls if you want to nominate books and vote for what you want to read.

For books that we have chosen, such as this one, just read the book and comment your thoughts as you go or at the end. Feel free to ask questions of other readers on their thoughts as well.

Make sure to use spoiler tags when talking about anything that happens in the book that others reading after you may not know yet. People don't like to read spoilers unintentionally. To create a spoiler you type:

< spoiler> the text you want to hide goes here < /spoiler>

Just remove the extra spaces after the <.

Also, please feel free to wander around and join any challenges that you are interested in. Feel free to ask any questions.

Silvia Turcios | 395 comments I read this book a couple of years ago and loved it! So I was very excited with the TV show, but I didn't really enjoyed the show.

I thought the book was exciting and full of little details that gave a touch of autenticity to the story. I enjoyed it a lot!

Caroline | 6 comments Thanks, Kristie :)

Crimson Worthen- | 15 comments I finished this one today. Im still in shock! King at his best! Loved it and have to keep telling myself that it was just a book. You get attached easily. When I finished it I kept asking myself "what if..." Yes, Im ruined for a while on finding a book as good. Wow! Im afraid to watch the movie. Im sure it wont give the book justice..

Cecily Shea | 142 comments I read it several years ago and I still have that same feeling!
Any recommendations since we enjoyed the same book so much?

Cecily Shea | 142 comments I read it several years ago and I still have that same feeling!
Any recommendations since we enjoyed the same book so much?

message 20: by Norada (new) - added it

Norada | 4 comments looks interesting. We shall see

message 21: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Charbonneau | 5 comments I really enjoyed this book! I love the entire concept and it kept me entertained. The only negative would be that I thought it slowed down a little bit in the middle and since it is a long book, it could have lost a few pages without causing any harm to the story. Overall I recommend this book!

message 22: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Gaskins | 3 comments I've just started this book, but I'm really enjoying it so far!

Sianna Reader This was definitely one of Kings best books. I thought it might be one that I would struggle with as he seems to have absolutely incredible novels and then the odd dud but...nope! It was well-written and beautiful.

Justin Sarginson | 4 comments I'm about halfway through and it is unusual. I'm finding it very nostalgic and almost comforting oddly. I'm slowly realising that not a great deal has happened yet, but that's ok. It reminds me of Stephen King's earlier work, in the sense that there's a lot of content around a narrow plot, but we'll see.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 18 comments Okay, I'm hoping to start it tonight :-)

Justin Sarginson | 4 comments Just finished it. For me, very enjoyable and actually the romance was the best part.

message 28: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna | 19 comments I recently finished it too. And I agree with you, Justin, the romance part was great. I was also intrigued by the paradoxes of time travel. But I wonder what the yellow card man represents? And why does his 'card' change colour? Does the colour mean anything? Any ideas?

Justin Sarginson | 4 comments Yeah, I was puzzled by the card man and that whole element. It must signify or represent something?

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 18 comments I'm just on page 53 but I have been reading some big ole books lately and now this one.

I will have to check back when I have read some more.

Hmmm, I'm guessing I will be confused about the card man too. I'm confused easily!

Crimson Worthen- | 15 comments I loved it but im like everyone on the card man. I read the whole book thinking he would end up being somebody he had contact with during traveling or something. Finished and still not sure who he was and what his point was in the book.

Crimson Worthen- | 15 comments Cecily wrote: "I read it several years ago and I still have that same feeling!
Any recommendations since we enjoyed the same book so much?"

I really enjoyed The Nightingale by kristen hannah. And The Dead Zone by stephen king...oldie but goodie. Funny, its almost like king could foresee the future in that one with the way the presidency is going, lol.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 18 comments I just finished this book and I loved it! I gave it 5 full stars.

Here's my review!

Melissa's Review

message 34: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna | 19 comments I'm glad to see that so many of you loved this book, because I totally agree, it's an awesome read. Just some more musings on the topic of the yellow card man. I'm adding a spoiler, so consider yourselves warned :)
(view spoiler) Besides, on a lighter note, I would have loved to live in the 50'ies (aside from a strict morale, no women's lib, racism and too much manual work). I love it when men wears a hat. And I'm not talking young hipsters wearing the hat as some sort of a joke, I'm talking real grown up men wearing a hat when they are in the public sphere. So hot.

message 35: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa I started this book about a week early, and now I am glad, because holy crap this book is long.

Melissa (Mel’s Bookshelf) (melsbookshelf) | 10 comments I listened to the audio version of this not long ago and loved it! Couldn't sit through the terrible tv series though! :-(

Melissa (Mel’s Bookshelf) (melsbookshelf) | 10 comments Anna wrote: "I'm glad to see that so many of you loved this book, because I totally agree, it's an awesome read. Just some more musings on the topic of the yellow card man. I'm adding a spoiler, so consider you..."

Haha Anna! Yes sure beats the baggy pants of nowadays! I love suits as casual wear ;-) I would have done ok in the 50s too!

message 38: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna | 19 comments "Haha Anna! Yes sure beats the baggy pants of nowadays! I love suits as casual wear ;-) I would have done ok in the 50s too! "
It sure does, Melissa. The invention of baggy pants was a grave mistake ;-)

Debra  | 52 comments I really enjoyed this one! I too wished there was more on the card man. Didn't really get the point. I kept waiting for some explanation and felt maybe I missed something.

Ashley (joliekitty) | 2 comments I just started this one and it will be my first time joining in a group read. I'm hoping that I gave myself enough time to finish it but I should be finish around the same time as the group read ends.
So far so good as far as the book goes. Interesting concept and it was not what I was expecting (having not read anything about it). Looking forward to more reading over the next couple of weeks.

message 41: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin (ecrawford28) Just starting this one!

message 42: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Rodriguez (jnielynn) | 4 comments Ok this is another book I've been looking at for a while but never got the courage to pick it up and get lost. I am hopefully going to be starting this in a couple days. It seems like the majority of everyone really enjoyed it so I am hopeful.

Justin Sarginson | 4 comments This was my first time as a group read and it was enjoyable to see other people's thoughts and views. Good choice of book.

Tracey | 90 comments I really want to like this book, but I'm afraid I'm in the minority here. I just am finding it too slow for my taste.

message 45: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna | 19 comments Chase wrote: "I really want to like this book, but I'm afraid I'm in the minority here. I just am finding it too slow for my taste."

I agree that it's quite slow building. Many of Stephen King's later books are. It didn't bother me though in this case. I just leaned back and enjoyed the world from the fifties and the slow building of the romance. But some of his other later novels I had to struggle to get through, for instance Duma Key

Sarah | 10 comments I found the book quite good. It was slow, but gripping, I had to read the whole book.
Just at the end (spoiler!!), I was surprised by the "Hate conference". It made me think directly of 1984. Is it just me?

it was my first book by Stephen King, but I'm not sure I want to continue, even though I liked the book. is that weird?

Kelly | 1 comments I liked this book, but I didn't love it. I wanted so much more JFK conspiracies or investigating something. I also wanted it too be a little darker. I kept thinking the Yellow Card Man/ (spoiler!) Black Card Man and "Jimla" would really turn into some dark obstacle, so that was kind of a let down.

Not to say there weren't any dark parts. (Spoiler!) when Sadie's Psycho ex shows up, that was really intense. By the end I did like Sadie and that little town, but I still think Stephen King spent too much time there in the book.

Christine | 64 comments I thought it was a great book. I'm not a big fan of time travel, but I really enjoyed the story. I felt like I was right there with Jake. I thought it ended perfectly. If it had ended any other way, it wouldn't have worked for me.

message 49: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Gaskins | 3 comments Debra wrote: "I really enjoyed this one! I too wished there was more on the card man. Didn't really get the point. I kept waiting for some explanation and felt maybe I missed something."

I was wondering about him too. Was he just there to try to warn people not to go through with changing the past? There were different ones, they eventually couldn't take the pressure of all the "strings" caused by people coming through the time bubbles, but it didn't explain how they came to be there, etc. I liked the book though.

Joann Im | 30 comments Just finished reading this book today! I am in awe how amazing this book was! I had no expectations when diving into this book but I ended up loving every moment of this.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Duma Key (other topics)
1984 (other topics)
11/22/63 (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stephen King (other topics)