Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > Time to Vote for the July Tag

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments Please vote for the tag you would most like to read for June at the following link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LYGZJX9

You may click on the answer choices in the survey to see a listing of books that fit each tag.

Remember, you may cast up to a total of 10 participation points for your choice. Everyone gets one vote for free so please vote even if you don't have any participation points!

You can see how many participation points you currently have in the spreadsheet below:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

Please cast your votes by 12 pm EST on 06/22.

Happy voting!

Note: If no one choice receives more than 50% of the vote, people who chose the least popular choice will be asked to recast their votes for one of the remaining two options.

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments what does 2013-reads mean? Are those books someone else read in 2013 or books published in 2013?

message 3: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments Jen wrote: "what does 2013-reads mean? Are those books someone else read in 2013 or books published in 2013?"

They are books that someone tagged with "2013-reads." Since it is an individual choice for what people tag their books, it is not possible to sum it up succinctly.

I image that it is a combination of the two criteria you gave as examples.

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Nicole wrote: "Jen wrote: "what does 2013-reads mean? Are those books someone else read in 2013 or books published in 2013?"

They are books that someone tagged with "2013-reads." Since it is an individual choice..."

Thanks. I guess this is like the 2010 tag. Essentially any random book could make it's way onto that list so it's virtually meaningless.

I feel conflicted. Need to dig around and see options before I vote.

message 5: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments Jen wrote: "Thanks. I guess this is like the 2010 tag. Essentially any random book could make it's way onto that list so it's virtually meaningless.

I feel conflicted. Need to dig around and see options before I vote. "

As with 2010, if 2013-reads should win, you can always narrow your own personal definition. For me, I would definitely pick something that was published in 2013.

A good place to get some ideas is the GoodReads Choice Awards for 2013, which you can see here: https://www.goodreads.com/choiceaward...

I also want to check out what won some of the major literary awards that year, maybe pick up one of those.

Of course, this is all is 2013-reads wins. And if not it is all for naught because I can't even vote! lol

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Nicole wrote: "Of course, this is all is 2013-reads wins. And if not it is all for naught because I can't even vote! lol :

I could sell you my vote(s) :)

on a serious note, thank you. That is helpful. 2013 is the easiest option for me but I like the idea of challenging myself to read outside my comfort zone.

message 7: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2762 comments The choices are linked to their GR page! Is this a new thing or have I just been totally unobservant about how tech savvy our administrators are?

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Jgrace wrote: "The choices are linked to their GR page! Is this a new thing or have I just been totally unobservant about how tech savvy our administrators are?"

they are pretty fabulous, our admins. They've been doing it for a few months I believe.

message 9: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments Jgrace wrote: "The choices are linked to their GR page! Is this a new thing or have I just been totally unobservant about how tech savvy our administrators are?"

Hahaha! I love that a link makes us tech savvy :) We have been doing it for a few months now, based on feedback from our wonderful members about how we can make voting easier and more fun!

message 10: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4916 comments This time I chose something more challenging. I hope 2013 does not make it as I would like to be pushed to read stuff that has been languishing in my TBR. The games are great for that, and Jen's March Madness has pushed me to read stuff that wasn't even on my radar. The bad news is that it did not decrease my TBR.

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 428 comments If anyone is interested, I think there are two books on the 100 NF list that were published in 2013:

The Girls of Atomic City
Five Days at Memorial

message 12: by ~*Kim*~ (new)

~*Kim*~ | 467 comments Voted :)

message 13: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I have passionately voted and haven't fingers and toes crossed that two of the choices don't make it!! I like my comfort zone.

message 14: by Olivermagnus (new)

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1955 comments Voted.

message 15: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8132 comments Sigh... I hate the broad tags, and 2013...? G'ah! We just did 2010! I definitely have a favourite.

message 16: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4916 comments Yeah, we've had several broad tags lately, and I'd prefer something more pointed this time that will expand my reading.

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Voted.

message 18: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I agree, I don't particularly like the broad tags either. Oh well --- just like the attributes on shelfari -- everyone can do their own thing for their shelves and we like that flexibility :-D

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8305 comments I found ten books from 2013. Four I've read, Sisterland, the Burgess Boys, The Golem and the Jinni, and the Dinner. 6 I would choose from include:

The Lowland
Americanah (I only saw this once on like ten lists, should double check.

Dirty Love
The Interestings
The Cukoo's Calling
The Other Typist

I know what the biography/memoir would be too… Its the one I received from the Swap, No Ordinary Time. Essays are the only thing I hadn't researched. Time to vote…..

message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy I have a John Wayne memoir that a co-worker gave me to read. She knows I love to read, and it is a book! Friendships can start with the most random acts. And it is the thought that counts. It tickles me everytime I see it. I am more Victorian/gothic than Western. More Oscar Wilde than John Wayne. Can you tell that I am gearing myself up to spend a week with John Wayne?

message 21: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Here's what the NY Times thought of 2013 releases - http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/12/15/...

And The Guardian - https://www.theguardian.com/books/201...

Interestingly I've read quite a few of them recently.

message 22: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) Kathy wrote: "I have a John Wayne memoir that a co-worker gave me to read. She knows I love to read, and it is a book! Friendships can start with the most random acts. And it is the thought that counts. It tickl..."

I love your thoughts on receiving a book from a coworker in a genre you wouldn't usually read. Inspirational.

message 23: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments I voted.
I had high plans for June's fantasy month which are all getting kaptuzed because of real life. Hopefully July will get me back into the swing of reading.

message 24: by Karin (last edited Jun 16, 2016 10:35AM) (new)

Karin | 6930 comments Caught COMPLETELY off guard this time! I knew the date, but just hadn't connected it with pbt.

Well, it's SUMMER and look at the choices! Essays in summer? Perhaps some will find that attractive in the balmy months, or live down where it's winter. That said, there are humourous essays, but you can rest assured that I voted for one of the other two options.

message 25: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5523 comments Voted, for the one I have the least of.

message 26: by Sushicat (last edited Jun 16, 2016 01:38PM) (new)

Sushicat | 804 comments Voted. Though all of them would be equally fine by me.

message 27: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1268 comments Voted.

I can't believe it's that time already. I haven't read a single thing since May 18. I'm in an epic reading slump and Fantasy is my favorite!!! Sigh. Maybe, I'll catch up on a few things if what I voted for for July wins. *crosses fingers*

message 28: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1444 comments I voted for the one not already mentioned on this thread :-). I hope it isn't 2013 since we did 2010 so recently.

message 29: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 823 comments I can't believe it's time to vote again. My reading is definitely down! At least I was actually around to vote this time... I too am hoping that it's not 2013-reads although it would mean that I could get more done for the tag.

message 30: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Voted

message 31: by Sara (new)

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments Karin wrote: "Caught COMPLETELY off guard this time! I knew the date, but just hadn't connected it with pbt.

Well, it's SUMMER and look at the choices! Essays in summer? Perhaps some will find that attractive i..."

I am totally the person who just cast as many votes as allowed at essays. I looooooove reading essays and don't do it nearly enough. I was thrilled to see it come up again. #teamessays

message 32: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1060 comments voted

message 33: by Karin (last edited Jun 18, 2016 11:16AM) (new)

Karin | 6930 comments Sara wrote: "Karin wrote: "Caught COMPLETELY off guard this time! I knew the date, but just hadn't connected it with pbt.

Well, it's SUMMER and look at the choices! Essays in summer? Perhaps some will find tha..."

So, we just cancelled each other out, then :). Still, it's fun to vote and we'll see where it ends. I decided that the 2013 one would have a wide variety.

If essays win, I'll read somebody like Dave Barry or Erma Bombeck.

message 34: by Michael (new)

Michael (mike999) | 569 comments Sara,

Bravo for tilting toward essays. After coming to love essay writers like Twain, McPhee, and E.B. White I set a mark like the PBT challenge of 10 a year. I am lucky to get in 2-3 per year. It does add up and fulfill some of the hunger for thinkers who get their act together. I wouldn't mind it as a tag but didn't vote for it because it's easy to OD.

Look

message 35: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments If you haven't voted yet, please remember to do so by noon on Wednesday! This is a VERY VERY close race and so far, no tag has over 50% of the vote!

Every vote counts.

message 36: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8305 comments After writing a bleary eyed 4/5AM question on the fantasy genre, and current book I am reading, I looked up biography and essays. Did you guys know that there is quite a few that combine both categories? And one that hits all three? If you ask me to reproduce it, I might stumble - but would do my best....

message 37: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 857 comments Voted.
Fun list!

message 38: by Tanya D (new)

Tanya D (tdrosebud) | 96 comments Voted!

message 39: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments I did vote awhile ago.

message 40: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I voted mentally, since I can't vote for real. Hope someone is picking up my vibes.

message 41: by Jenni Elyse (last edited Jun 22, 2016 08:11AM) (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1268 comments Linda S wrote: "I voted mentally, since I can't vote for real. Hope someone is picking up my vibes."

What's the reasoning behind the admins not voting? Just curious.

message 42: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments Jenni Elyse wrote: "Linda S wrote: "I voted mentally, since I can't vote for real. Hope someone is picking up my vibes."

What's the reasoning behind the admins not voting? Just curious."

We never have voted because we can see the voting and often discuss it behind the scenes. Plus, we do not earn participation points so we would only be able to cast one vote a month.

message 43: by Nicole R (last edited Jun 22, 2016 10:08AM) (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments There was no tag option that garnered over 50% of the votes, so we deleted the responses for 2013-reads (the tag that got the fewest votes) and asking those people to revote for one of the top two options.

You can find more information and instructions at: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 44: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1268 comments Nicole wrote: "Jenni Elyse wrote: "Linda S wrote: "I voted mentally, since I can't vote for real. Hope someone is picking up my vibes."

What's the reasoning behind the admins not voting? Just curious."

We never..."

That makes sense. Thanks!

message 45: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8305 comments Re - voted!

message 46: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8132 comments Nicole wrote: "There was no tag option that garnered over 50% of the votes, so we deleted the responses for 2013-reads (the tag that got the fewest votes) and asking those people to revote for one of the top two ..."

Yay! It's between either of the others!