Gore and More discussion

Group Reads > July 2016 - Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kenneth (last edited Jun 14, 2016 09:10PM) (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 677 comments Mod
It is finally time to nominate our July Group Read! We wanted to jump start our Group Reads by going with a classic, kick-ass author that most are familiar with but may or may not have read yet experienced. So for the month of July, we'd like to honor the birthday boy (July 17th) - Robert McCammon! If you haven't had the good fortune to curl up with a McCammon tale, you're in for a treat!

So please post your suggestion for what Robert McCammon book you'd like to read. Nominations will be open until June 22nd. We'll then post the official poll based off of those nominations.

message 2: by Lena (last edited Jun 14, 2016 09:30PM) (new)

Lena Speaks the Nightbird (Matthew Corbett, #1) by Robert McCammon Speaks the Nightbird
I've never read anything by this author and this is the start of a six book series.

message 3: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) Lena wrote: "Speaks the Nightbird (Matthew Corbett, #1) by Robert McCammonSpeaks the Nightbird
I've never read anything by this author and this is the start of a six book series."

Not very gory and nothing supernatural at all in it. Still it is one of my favorite books of recent years and definitely my favorite McCammon book. It has nothing at all to do with McCammon's horror fiction but is an historical fiction mystery thriller. In my opinion it out rates even Swan Song and Boy's Life. It has one of the most compelling depictions of the American colonies in the late 17th century.

People forget that travelling to interior South Carolina in 1698 was probably more hazardous and eerie than the Brazilian jungle would be today. Miasmal swamps, no maps, malaria, yellow fever, pox, endless old growth forests, "aboriginals," bandits, etc. Leaving New Amsterdam (York) and travelling to Charlestowne, SC and then inland would be near the equivalent of going to Mars today.

message 4: by Lena (new)

Lena Ah, I didn't realize. So good but not appropriate. I will defer to someone who knows what they are talking about. Which book of his is scariest?

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma I've only just discovered this author. I have read Swansong which was ok and am now reading Speaks the Nightbird, which I am really enjoying so far. Very atmospheric..

message 6: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Egan I have never read one of his books....just lightly browsed his books..."mine" looks good

message 7: by Christal (new)

Christal | 5 comments How about an oldie....Baal. I've had this one in my library for awhile and haven't yet had a chance to read it.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 52 comments Mystery Walk please Mystery Walk by Robert McCammon

message 9: by Janie (last edited Jun 15, 2016 02:39AM) (new)

Janie C. I'd like to read Gone South by Robert McCammon Gone South.

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryjane70) | 6 comments Boy's Life Boy's Life by Robert McCammon It won the Bram Stoker in 1991 and World Fantasy Best Novel Award in 1992.

message 11: by D20 (new)

D20 | 173 comments Mary wrote: "Boy's LifeBoy's Life by Robert McCammon It won the Bram Stoker in 1991 and World Fantasy Best Novel Award in 1992."

This sounds good. I haven't read this author so I can only go by book descriptions.

message 12: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Polfer | 1 comments Hot Zone? I've read it before..but it's effing scary...

message 13: by Kieron (new)

Kieron They Thirst. They Thirst by Robert McCammon

message 16: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Swan Song only because I just started it and it is already amazing!

message 17: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissa52572) Speaks the Nightbird is in my Audible library. It has my vote!

message 18: by Lena (new)

Lena Lol, Elizabeth we are focusing this month on an author many of us, me!, have never heard of - McCammon.

message 19: by Eldritch Reading Reindeer 2021 In Cobwebs (last edited Jun 15, 2016 04:33PM) (new)

Eldritch Reading Reindeer 2021 In Cobwebs  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 19 comments My favourite of all of his always extraordinary novels:

Usher's Passing

message 20: by Kenneth (new)

That's correct. As Lena mentioned, July's Group Read theme is any work by Robert McCammon, since his birthday is July 17th. Even as well known as McCammon is in some reading circles, many haven't had the good fortune to experience his wonderful writing. And that's one of the things we're trying to strive for at Gore & More - expanding our horror horizons and discovering new authors. So feel free to nominate any of McCammon's works here for the July Group Read.

message 21: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Lena wrote: "Lol, Elizabeth we are focusing this month on an author many of us, me!, have never heard of - McCammon."

sorry about that I was trying to post it some where else and I posted it at the wrong place.

message 22: by Addy (new)

Addy | 19 comments How bout Bethany's Sin? Or I would vote for Baal.

message 23: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 150 comments Haven't read him yet but I've heard he's great.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I've not yet read any of his books, but Gone South or Baal sound good to me...

message 25: by Terry (new)

Terry | 47 comments Kieron wrote: "They Thirst. They Thirst by Robert McCammon"

I would second They Thirst.

message 26: by Glen (new)

Glen Krisch | 8 comments I voted for They Thirst. Somehow that one has escaped my reading to this point.

message 27: by Sara (new)

Sara (museoffire) Is it too late to suggest something? I'm a huge fan of The Boy Meets Girl Massacre. It's disgusting and awesome and someone should lock up the author.

message 28: by Kenneth (new)

The voting is as tight as the bark on a tree heading into the weekend. The poll closes Sunday night. So don't forget the cast your vote on which McCammon book you'd like to read as a group!

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...