Amateurs are just Authors in Training discussion

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kit Kat (new)

Kit Kat (kitcastellan) | 53 comments Mod
Guess what! There are some tips out there that all writers need in their arsenal. Everyone is welcome to share their little tips right here!

message 2: by Kit Kat (new)

How to steal like a writer:
1. Writing is a Collage
2. Carry a notebook + pen
3. Read, Read, Read
4. Keep a swipe file
5. Don't wait until you know what you think to get started
6. Step away from the screen
7. Keep a Daily routine
8. Write something you would want to read
9. Tell (Oprah) stories
10. Practice in public

Although this is a stealing tip, I'm gonna give creds to @austinkleon
who is the one who came up with this adorable guide!

message 3: by Kit Kat (last edited Jun 24, 2016 10:09AM) (new)

"Writing a book is always hard work. It's much easier to think of new ideas. You'll get to the middle of the manuscript and you'll think, 'Oh, this is too hard. I think I'll start another book instead and that will be easier.' DON'T! That new book won't be any easier."

- Rick Riordan

message 4: by Kit Kat (new)

Write with nouns and verbs. No disrespect intended toward the other six parts of speech, but nouns and verbs are the meat and bones of writing. Everything else is garnish. Get your nouns right. Make them concrete and specific. Use cardigan instead of sweater and linebacker instead of football player. Don't philosophize about suffering when you could introduce your reader to a Marine widow and her fatherless infant. And make your verbs lively. Don't walk if you can meander and strut. Don't just hit if you can slap, thump or pummel. Writers should value every word, but wise writers give special attention to nouns and verbs.

message 5: by Kit Kat (new)

"When I'm reading manuscript submissions, I'm always alert to the use of the word "felt," especially in the first ten pages. Because if you-the-writer are having to tell me how your character feels, then that probably means you havent succeeded in getting me in the character's head. The lesson for writers, I would like to say, is "do not use the word 'felt'", but rather show me how the character came to feel however he or she feels. Let me get to know him, and put me in the action with him. So when he sees the girl of his dreams pashing another guy, I feel the kick in the gut the same way he does."