Amateurs are just Authors in Training discussion

Community Writing > 『Bɪɢ ● Bᴀᴅ ● Wᴜʟғɪᴇ』

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kit Kat (new)

Kit Kat (kitcastellan) | 53 comments Mod
Here you go! Have fun!

message 2: by 『ᴡɪᴄᴋʟɪɴɢ ᴛʀᴀsʜ ● ɢᴏᴏᴅʙʏᴇ』 (last edited Jun 14, 2016 09:41PM) (new)

『ᴡɪᴄᴋʟɪɴɢ ᴛʀᴀsʜ ● ɢᴏᴏᴅʙʏᴇ』 (wickling) | 4 comments

∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ [ OTHERWORLD // AWAKENING ] ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙
↳ ❛ ❛ everything you think you know is a lie. time to wake up. ❜ ❜ ↲

The Dream is akin to the Matrix, a false reality imposed by false gods called the Dreaming. The Dream hides the true potential of humanity, keeping them blind from the power of their souls. But there is hope, through Awakening, one can break free from the Lie, the illusion society had imposed on them for so long. They say magic and fairy tales are just for children, and if you believe in them still, you are ridiculed, sometimes even thrown into asylums and sanatoriums, called delusional and insane. But it is true. That age old power still courses through our veins, just as it courses through the Earth. And with it, nothing is impossible; the only limit is your own imagination. The Kindred, these Awakened souls, walk among us, and seek freedom from the oppression humanity has endured for so long.

Underhill, Maine is a small town with a population just under 3,000. It is home to a large Otherkin community, comprised of vampires, werewolves, witches, and the like. While the Sleepers are ignorant of the supernatural, the events that go on after dark do not go unnoticed, and with a recent serial killer on the loose, everyone, Kin and Kith, are looking for answers. Because whoever this mass murderer is, they are writing esoteric truths in the blood in their victims. They are Awakened, and threatening all of the Otherworld with exposure. As human police and paranormal agents race to discover the culprit, a young lycan is framed. With a warrant for his arrest by the Sleepers, and the Awakened demanding execution, things are looking grim. Can he prove his innocence before it is too late?

message 3: by 『ᴡɪᴄᴋʟɪɴɢ ᴛʀᴀsʜ ● ɢᴏᴏᴅʙʏᴇ』 (last edited Jun 14, 2016 10:45PM) (new)

∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ [ CHAPTER ONE // AWAKENING ] ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙
━━ ↳ ❛ ❛ within dreams, our inner truths are revealed. ❜ ❜ ↲ ━━

It was always the same. I awake in the middle of a field, I'm lost, with no idea where I am. At first, it is daylight, I can remember this because the sun is blinding in my eyes. But then, I hear it, something moving through the underbrush, coming closer and closer. Twigs snapping, the sound of heavy breathing. The sky darkens as my pulse races, and I begin to sprint. I don't know what it is, all I know is that it wants to kill me. I look back as I near the edge of the field, where the tall grass meets the forest, and I can barely see some dark fur as the tall stalks part as the thing rushes toward me. I shriek loudly as it picks up speed.

I plunge into the woods, running for my life. Panting, I tried to keep up my pace. I could feel it right behind me. Its eyes burned the back of my head, its heavy footsteps got louder and louder. Panic was filling my chest and the beings’ footsteps felt trapped inside my mind, echoing menacingly. I began to pant, running out of breath. My muscles ached, starved of precious oxygen. I knew i couldn't outrun the beast, it'd catch up eventually. My death was inevitable. A most on cue, I trip over a fallen log and land face first onto the soil. The thing snarls at me, and I scramble up to get away, emitting a high-pitched sound I was not aware I could make. I practically wet myself when I saw its eyes, red and vicious, bloodthirsty. My mind couldn't process anything else, all my brain told me was that I should put as much distance between me and it or else. And so I ran, I ran as fast as my weak and shaking legs could take me, not caring that I could barely breath. I just had to get as far away from that thing as possible. If only it was that easy.

Like magic, that abomination was now running toward me, somehow managing to get in front of me. Branches were thrown this way and that as it knocked its way to me, breaking logs and tramping anything in its path. I screamed like a girl once more, turned tail, and ran. The monster was practically on me. I ran deeper and deeper in the wood, leaping across a creek and through some boulders. I was certain I had lost it. I paused to catch my breath, nearly crumbling to my knees from asphyxiation, and hid behind the trunk of a great white tree with red leaves. After collecting myself, I took a step away from the gargantuan tree, only to step and crack on a small branch. I felt the monster's warm, wet breath against the back of my neck as it exhaled from its nose. I closed my eyes, promptly soiling my self as it snarled, ready for the kill. As it pounced on me ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙
I awoke with a start.

message 4: by Dragon (new)

Dragon (mydragonbaby) | 4 comments Hi Wulfie,
Please know that the following is my opinion, feel free to use what works and leave anything that doesn't.

First, Thank you for not putting pictures during your writing passage. They are distracting. Also, the summary of the story was a great idea. It helped me transition into the writing much easier... I'm going to steal the idea for my folder... hope you don't mind ;)

Great idea italicizing the text for the dream. The first paragraph was excellent. Hooked me and made look forward to next paragraph.

I do not have a suggestion, but I paused at the word footsteps. From the summary and description of - and I can barely see some dark fur as the tall stalks part as the thing rushes toward me. - I was thinking wolf/werewolf and footsteps made me doubt my interpretation.

-emitting a high-pitched sound I was not aware I could make. - definitely conveyed the urgency and terror of the character's situation.

-My mind couldn't process anything else, all my brain told me was that I should put as much distance between me and it or else. And so I ran, I ran as fast as my weak and shaking legs could take me, not caring that I could barely breath. I just had to get as far away from that thing as possible. If only it was that easy. - As I read I thought it was repetitive; I was a bit insulted you had to tell me 4 times he was running again...

-Branches were thrown this way and that as it knocked its way to me, breaking logs and tramping anything in its path. - Awesome description!

Describing the scream as girlie was a bit much, even though I knew the "monster" was close and intense, that girlie scream made think less of the hero. Suggestion: turn the scream into a groan, grunt or sob?

Overall: An awesome start to the story, Please continue.
Remember, just my opinion, use what you can and don't worry about the rest :)

The point of the girlish scream was to do that.