Authors-Readers Connect discussion

Groovy Lee
This topic is about Groovy Lee
Discussions > Amazon Ebook Giveaway--I highly recommend it!!

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Groovy (last edited Jun 14, 2016 08:14PM) (new)

Groovy Lee | 1061 comments Mod
I just tried Amazon's new Ebook Giveaway, and I love it! Have any authors here tried it? It's so easy. My two giveaways were supposed to last a week, but the contest was over in hours. I see this as a way to not only get your work out there and into the hands of eager readers, but maybe garner some reviews in return.

I find it time-consuming having to sit and try to contact book bloggers who nine times out of ten don't respond back for various reasons; or readers who promise a review but you never hear from them. This method saves time. And the odds are about the same as far as getting reviews are concerned.

I recommend this to any author, especially if you're just starting out, or your name isn't Stephen King, Nicholas Sparks, or the likes.

Here is part of an article from the Goodreads' Newsletter about the success of The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah that was published over a year ago, and is an Ebook. I was very inspired by it to host more Amazon Giveaways and do more than just 3 at a time:

St. Martin’s Press wanted to build a groundswell of reviews before publication. They knew that if they got the book into the hands of enough readers early on, the power of the story in The Nightingale would drive that all-important word-of-mouth buzz that can make a great book take off. They went big and ran giveaways for more than 200 copies of the book on Goodreads before publication.

"Giveaways are a fantastic way of generating early buzz and those crucial early reviews," said Laura Clark, Senior Marketing Director, St Martin’s Press. "What we love the most about giveaways on Goodreads is how when someone enters a giveaway, this also gets shared with their friends and followers in their newsfeed, creating a series of mini alerts about a book and helping more people discover it. Our team knew this book was something special – it became the book everyone wanted to read at the office – so we decided to go bigger than usual and commit to 200 books in giveaways."

The giveaways drove the first bit of sustained interest in the book on Goodreads. But giveaways alone won’t keep the momentum on any book, no matter how good. For that, you need to keep reminding people about a book. And to do that, paid advertising can be a powerful tool.

message 2: by Phil (new)

Phil Nemethy | 35 comments I haven't, but sounds interesting... how's it work? Like, do you need to have a list of people to send entries to?

message 3: by Groovy (last edited Jun 15, 2016 08:14PM) (new)

No, it's very easy. There's no list. You get the word out that you're hosting a giveaway and that's it. You get to choose how many ebooks you want to giveaway (1-100) You pay for the books, but you get the royalties back. Also, you get to choose in what order you want participants to win. They explain everything to you once you're there.

Log into your Amazon account; click on ebook you want to host in a giveaway; scroll down below reviews and you will see a button that prompts you to host a giveaway. It's smooth sailing from that point on. They will send you a link when it's ready.

If you do it, let me know how it went:)

message 4: by David (new)

David Kummer | 622 comments Mod
This looks really interesting. I'd love to try this out. So, taking into account the royalties and such, how much did it cost you to do the giveaway?

message 5: by Groovy (last edited Jun 27, 2016 08:00PM) (new)

It depends on how many books you want to give away, and how much they cost each. My books cost $2.99, and I hosted a giveaway for 3. With tax that came to $9 and some change. But I got 70% of that back in royalties (my head hurts right now so I don't feel like figuring that up:) But you get the picture.

If you try it, I hope it goes well for you.

Let me add, that sometimes it goes really well, the giveaway is over in a matter of hours, then sometimes, like now, the giveaway will probably extend to the end date, and you'll have to host another one when you're ready. (there are no refunds)

Here's the link with instructions:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/giveaway/home/

message 6: by David (new)

Hmm sounds like a pretty good deal, because you get most of the money back in royalties.

message 7: by Groovy (new)

Exactly! And you get exposure for your book from readers who may not come to your forum or website. If someone wins your book and likes it, they in turn share it with their friends; now more people know about you. It's still hard getting reviews though. You may get 1% out of the number of books you giveaway. That still sucks!

message 8: by David (new)

Yeah lol. I guess that's one thing that probably won't change, since everybody's so busy nowadays. I'd say that's one of the main reasons they don't review. Just reading a book itself is becoming less frequent! Authors probably review the most, because they know how much each one means.

message 9: by Groovy (new)

Agree!

message 10: by Mia (new)

Mia Lutsch (MiaLutsch) | 3 comments Groovy, when you say, "You get the word out that you're hosting a giveaway and that's it." Do you mean that you have to do everything to promote your own giveaway? Does Amazon give you any exposure at all of their own accord? Shall I assume that if you don't have a lot of followers then this is not the best way to reach new people?

message 11: by Groovy (last edited Jul 14, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

Mia, that is such a GOOD question. I just automatically went to my forums and announced it in the threads where there might be interests, that I didn't think about that. I do know that you have to do some promotion. I don't think I have a lot of followers at all. But I'm going to contact them and ask that very question. As soon as I get an answer I'll let you know what they said, unless you ask them first, then let me know what they said:)

Thanks for that question:)

message 12: by Mia (new)

Mia Lutsch (MiaLutsch) | 3 comments Thank you very much! I found the Goodreads Giveaway useful for that reason. Of the people I know only so many would be interested in my books and so I have to reach out to find the right readers. Thanks for the help!

message 13: by Groovy (new)

Mia, I posted this question on a few forums and here's one answer I received by Tara:

I ran a giveaway set for one day that ended in 4 hours because the copies had been claimed. I had 190 entrants. I didn't promote it at all so I imagine certain readers get email alerts? It did nothing for sales, however. Entrants aren't even directed to your product page so I think the results are just a reflection of the fact that some people will attempt to get anything for free. The one benefit is that they are now following you so they are alerted when you publish new titles.

message 14: by Groovy (new)

Here's another answer:

Well, from an author's perspective I don't know how their promotion works, but as a subscriber to Amazon's book newsletter, I see promos all the time. They have a Deal of the Day list, and I get "Based on your interests, we thought you would like this book that is on sale" they also send me notices when books in my wish list go on sale. I have never seen anything called Amazon Giveaway, but that is probably a back-end term linked to something else on the consumer end.

message 15: by Mia (new)

Mia Lutsch (MiaLutsch) | 3 comments Thanks a lot for the feedback, I really appreciate it! The information is useful as it is quite time-consuming trying to learn how all the different sites operate.

message 16: by David (new)

Yes I agree. I've learned a lot from the discussion you two had!

message 17: by Groovy (last edited Jul 16, 2016 06:53PM) (new)

You're welcome, Mia. I'm so glad you asked because I learned a lot myself.

David, does that inspire you to try it?

message 18: by David (new)

I am thinking about it yes. I might spend my birthday money on that.

message 19: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 177 comments I haven't tried this but I'm sure I will at some point. I just hope it helps me rather then feed the mouth of the monster that is Amazon.

message 20: by Groovy (new)

So far, I've done 4 giveaways. I just completed one last week, and the deadline is this Tuesday. (I love the feeling I get when I receive an email way before the deadline that says, "Your giveaway has ended. All prizes were claimed.")

You get the word out when you start one, and I believe Amazon does its part, too. I say that because, except for the one, each giveaway I hosted, the books were claimed before the week was out. And giveaways also means more exposure for you.

I've noticed more action on my KDP report. Now I'm not saying it's for everyone, but I recommend each author give it a try at least once.

message 21: by David (new)

GIveaways are very good, yes. When I make a book free, I see the Kindle Pages Read jump way up, and not to mention it's getting those books on people's Kindles who may never have read my work otherwise! You can tell me all you want that nobody reads free books, but it clearly has some effect as I've tested this time after time over the last 1 and a half years.

Whatever your choice is, I hope it works out :) Giveaways and part-time giveaways and making your books free for a short time seem to work very well for newbie authors.

(There's also a thing where you can make a book free permanently, but that's a different road.)