What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Historical romance - pregnant, cheating wife dies in a carriage accident on the way to meet and run away with her lover!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Randa (new)

Randa Linner | 6 comments I read this book sometime in 2006 or 2007 so it had to have been published either before or around that time. All I remember is that he lost his wife in a carriage accident and she was carrying her lovers child.
He then remarries, but I believe it was all arranged and he doesn't want to care for her - but of course he starts to. He starts to worry that she will leave him. He is ill tempered.

If I remember correctly, the book cover was a shade of green that had an ominous mansion on the cover.

message 2: by Merrilee (new)

Merrilee (jrsygrl626) | 189 comments I'm pretty sure I've read this, but I don't know if it was BGR or AGR (before/after goodreads). Check out my historical romance shelf. If it was AGR it would be there.

Was the heroine in danger too? I remember one where the cheating wife died in an accident and the new wife was in a carriage accident with the hero.

message 3: by Randa (new)

Randa Linner | 6 comments The carriage accident with the new couple rings a bell because I know at the end something happens that causes the Hero to worry that his new wife will die the same way his previous one did.

message 4: by Merrilee (new)

Merrilee (jrsygrl626) | 189 comments I'll have to think on it. Do some digging.

message 5: by Randa (new)

Randa Linner | 6 comments Thank you! I have been looking for months and I just can't seem to find it.

message 6: by Merrilee (new)

Merrilee (jrsygrl626) | 189 comments I'm going to post your request in the Romance version of this group too.

message 7: by Ruzza (last edited Jun 15, 2016 06:49PM) (new)

Ruzza | 302 comments Ok so I remember a book where the wife died and she was pregnant with another man. I remember that the heroine was his sister best friend and she has been in love with him since she was little. She wrote about him in her journals. She first started writing in a diary at his suggestion. I know that in the last chapter she gave him all her journals and she read him the first paragraph she ever wrote and in it she was saying she loves him. I think it was part of a series and the sister got her story also...

Edit:
So I just found the book I was talking about:
The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever by Julia Quinn

message 8: by Randa (new)

Randa Linner | 6 comments That is one of my favorite books and I just finished reading it again yesterday :)

The plot line is similar though. Thank you!!

message 9: by Ruzza (new)

Ruzza | 302 comments Randa wrote: "That is one of my favorite books and I just finished reading it again yesterday :)

The plot line is similar though. Thank you!!"

You're welcome although I'm the one that needs to give thanks. I forgot about this book until I saw your post. I'm re-reading it now:)

message 10: by Merrilee (new)

Merrilee (jrsygrl626) | 189 comments That may have been the one I was thinking of too, but I read so many books I can't be sure!!

message 11: by Merrilee (new)

Merrilee (jrsygrl626) | 189 comments Was there a carriage accident in Secret Diaries? I can't remember.

message 12: by Randa (new)

Randa Linner | 6 comments No - she almost dies after giving birth to their child in Secret Diaries.

message 13: by Merrilee (new)

Merrilee (jrsygrl626) | 189 comments Then not the one I'm thinking of. There's definitely a carriage accident that turns out to be sabotage.

message 14: by Randa (new)

Randa Linner | 6 comments Yes, the book I'm thinking of definitely points to the husband having killed his wife and "getting away with it" and I think he becomes somewhat reclusive/shunned from society.

I keep thinking the 2nd marriage is arranged and when they meet for the first time its stormy...but the details are fuzzy... So that may not be 100% correct or I could be mixing things up :(

I do appreciate all the help though! I am still on the hunt for the book even as we "speak."

message 15: by Merrilee (new)

Merrilee (jrsygrl626) | 189 comments Someone on the romance thread suggested Thunder & Roses.

I finally remembered the book I was thinking of and its too new to be your book. A Night Like This is the one I was thinking of. It was published in 2012 and Daniel wasn't married, just forced to flee England.

message 16: by Megan (new)

Megan | 23 comments It sounds like a book ive read . I almost want to sayLove Me Forever Johanna Lindsey or one ofJulie GarwoodSue Ellen Welfonder would be the best bets

message 17: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
Randa, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 18: by Ann (new)

Ann | 530 comments The first book that came to my mind was Thunder & Roses by Mary Jo Putney as Merrilee mentioned.

The second book that came to mind was Once and Always by Judith McNaught.