Florida History discussion

Florida's Indian River Duchess: The Duchess of Castelluccia (RIGHTING FLORIDA HISTORY Book 1)
This topic is about Florida's Indian River Duchess
The Duchess of Castelluccia

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Richard (new) - added it

Richard Cronin (goodreadscomrickcronin) | 27 comments Mod
The Duke and Duchess of Castelluccia, in 1881, purchased Florida's most historic grove, the Dummett Grove. All I could find on this topic in local history was that the Duke had been Italian, and his Duchess was Jenny Anheuser, of the beer family. Turns out, that long held belief was not true. She was not an Anheuser, but she was one very fascinating lady. In 1895, at the age of 73, the wealthy Widow Duchess married at Hotel Indian River for her third time. Her groom would soon celebrate his 30th birthday. I love Central Florida history, both for its mystery and true-life, colorful characters.

message 2: by Richard (new) - added it

Richard Cronin (goodreadscomrickcronin) | 27 comments Mod
An obituary is always a great find for a researcher, especially when trying to prove, or disprove, a long held local legend. It occurred to me that if the Duchess was really an Anheuser, that fact shouldn't be terribly difficult to establish.
Fortunately, the New York Times of August 3, 1895 paved the way for me to identify the mysterious duchess of Indian River, Florida fame.
Six months after marrying for a third time at Rockledge, Florida, "Jennie A. Tamajo, Duchess de Casteluccia," died at West Point, New York. Her age was listed at out 74 years, and her maiden name was listed as Jennie A. Cornwall, daughter of John Cornwall of New York.Florida's Indian River Duchess: The Duchess of Castelluccia