What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > cozy mystery from 90's male stay at home dad and his best friend who has agoraphobia

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
This is a cozy (i.e. not a police procedural) where the "detective" is a stay-at-home Dad (I don't remember why he stays at home and his wife works, before anyone asks. It HAS been at least 20 years since I read this book.) His best friend is a woman who has a rich husband and suffers from agoraphobia (she can't leave the house, for those who don't know what that means.)

The "victim" is a woman who owns a clothing store with her business partner. At one point in time, the 2 women had been involved in a sexual relationship, but the partner's husband found out and threatened to kill both women (and evidently scared them both enough that they only had contact with each other at work.)

(view spoiler)

Since most of what I remember about the book is this final bit, I put it in spoilers. And the reason that I read it, and remember it is that my Mum had a much milder form of agoraphobia, and this was the only thing that I'd found at that time about someone else who was suffering from the disorder.

I also don't remember how old the book was--it could have been from the 80's or even 70's. I had a friend who owned a used bookstore, and I'd work in there for her periodically when she needed help, and she let me 'borrow' and read anything that I wanted to, as long as I returned it in good condition.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39310 comments Mod
What country/region is it set in?

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

US, but where more than that I don't remember. It's been over 20 years since I read it, and for some reason it recently popped into my head, so I thought I'd see if anyone else had read it.

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Agoraphobic bump

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Agoraphobic bump

message 6: by Kym (new)

Kym | 1058 comments SILVER LININGS by Charles Cohen?

Nicky Silver is Cliffside's favorite househusband. A former lawyer, now an aspiring poet, he takes care of his five-year-old son, his CPA wife, and their Victorian home. Nicky cooks, goes to the play group, and watches as the Cliffside of his youth is invaded by commodity brokers with mink-lined Masweratis. He also stumbles upon the strangled body of his old friend Carol Frank, a partner in Cliffside's trendiest, glitziest dress shop. Everybody love Nicky Silver; Carmine the grocer, Max the deli owner, Dr. Sy the physician, and especially his best friend Kay Oken, who has spent the last twenty years trying to get Nicky into her bed. Suddenly, they are all suspects in a murder. Now Nicky has to take care of his friends as well as his family by solving the crime. 'Silver Linings' is a fast-paced, funny novel that takes a sharp poke at the mores and morals of today's suburbia.

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Kym, that's the closest I've seen to it. I've found a copy on Amazon.com and ordered it. Now to wait and see if that's it. (Although I'm thinking that it probably is, at least, if Kay is agoraphobic.) Bouncing up and down and doing a Snoopy dance from excitement.

message 8: by Kym (new)

Kym | 1058 comments Hope so Ann. There is another article that mentions an agoraphobic neighbor. :)

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39310 comments Mod
Ann, was your book "Silver Linings" or are you still looking?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Silver Lining (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Charles Cohen (other topics)