What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA Fantasy about a girl in the hospital that finds a magical escape to another world. [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vanna (new)

Vanna Fuqua (vannaf) | 4 comments I read this book at my public school library when I was in junior high which would've been the late 90's to early 2000's. I don't remember all of the particulars of the plot. I know the girl was in the hospital for a broken leg (I believe). She's bored and miserable when a rainbow appears outside of her window and a pirate comes strolling across, poking his head in her room. In this other world/dimension/etc., she's healthy and can walk. That's about all I remember. I can't think of the title but have a vague recollection of the cover. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37566 comments Mod
What do you remember about the cover?

Author male or female? Series or standalone?

message 3: by Vanna (new)

Vanna Fuqua (vannaf) | 4 comments It was a stand alone book. I believe the author was female but could be wrong. The cover was a girl in a hospital bed with a view through the window and a rainbow coming in. There might have been a hand coming through the window as well.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32235 comments Mod
Vanna, are there illustrations in the book (e.g., Marianne Dreams by Catherine Storr)?

Can you tell us more about the fantasy world and what she does there, who she meets, etc.?

message 5: by Vanna (new)

Vanna Fuqua (vannaf) | 4 comments There weren't illustrations. The rainbow leads from her room to this other world. There's a group of pirates on board a flying ship. She can walk there and she's not sick anymore. I'm sorry, I don't remember more of the particulars. I know she kept escaping into this other world until she was healed. The pirates helped her deal with her illness while she was sick. And, at the end, you aren't sure if it happened or was just in her imagination.

message 6: by Elias (new)

Elias (iamnotthrowingawaymyshot) | 78 comments The timing is all wrong, but the premise is identical to Magonia.

message 7: by N (new)

N (kaxxie) | 104 comments I'm not sure this would be a perfect match, but your description reminds me of Voyages by Doris Buchanan Smith. This New York Times review includes more info, including mention of the Rainbow Bridge: http://www.nytimes.com/1990/03/04/boo...

message 8: by Vanna (new)

Vanna Fuqua (vannaf) | 4 comments I think you're right! It is Voyages! Thank you so much! I've been trying to find that book for years. Thank you!

message 9: by N (new)

N (kaxxie) | 104 comments I'm so glad!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Voyages (other topics)
Marianne Dreams (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Catherine Storr (other topics)