Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > 30 Days of Books: Day 29

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1315 comments Today's prompt is a book everyone hated but you liked. Most of the books I read are fairly popular. There are some naysayers, of course, because no book is going to be liked by every single reader. But, since the books I read are fairly popular and well-liked, I'm going to take a bit of a different perspective on this prompt.

I'm choosing Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas because very few people (a handful, maybe) liked it when my IRL book club read it last December. My book club ranges anywhere from five to 20+ people each month. And, December's book club was a pretty good turn out. I actually thought most of the book club would like it, but I was seriously wrong.

I enjoyed the story very much. In fact, it has become a favorite and I look forward to reading the rest of the series sometime in the future, hopefully sooner rather than later. The naysayers didn't like it because they thought that even though Celaena was supposedly the world's greatest assassin, she didn't really act like it in Throne of Glass. They went on and on about how Celaena's character was very contradictory and about how much they hate Maas's writing. One of our members couldn't make it that month and she posted something on Facebook with her opinion on how much she hated the book. That meeting was actually very frustrating to me, lol.

What is a book everyone hated but you liked?

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments I loved One Hundred Years of Solitude. It is not very popular outside of critics and my dear friend Anita despises it. But...

I thought it was brilliant. I loved the touch of magical realism, the liberal analogies and metaphors and symbolism, and thought the story was intriguing.

I want to reread it but am terrified it won't stand up to my memory of it.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 195 comments I don't know that it's hated, but I always feel like an outsider when it comes to liking Mansfield Park over other Austen novels.

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments I also loved One Hundred Years of Solitude -- see we do agree on some fiction novels.

For me that book would be Pricksongs and Descants by Robert Coover . I read it for the 1001 group and I think I may have been the only person to like it. Most people hated it. I loved it.

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I didn't hate Gone Girl.

message 6: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4984 comments That's difficult, as most books have their share of fans/detractors, so I don't believe there is anything I can say everyone but I hated. The closest I can come is Outlander, which has quite a few people on the "hate" side.

message 7: by Nicole D. (last edited Jun 14, 2016 10:11PM) (new)

Nicole D. | 1482 comments a lot of people hated The Yiddish Policemen's Union but I consider it a favorite

Snuff is another a lot of people hated but I was fascinated by it.

message 8: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Hum.....this is a hard one. I need to go check out my shelves.

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8533 comments Everyone is going to bury me for this one, but I actually loved Eat Pray Love. If you can ever find my review it would tell you why. Its a longer explanation and I understand the critics criticism. But there was so much else beyond that, that I loved and got from it.

message 10: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Actually --- I also really enjoyed Eat, Pray, Love, thanks Amy for mentioning it! I distinctly remember reading it on a plane, almost in one sitting.

message 11: by LibraryCin (last edited Jun 15, 2016 06:07PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 8340 comments annapi wrote: "That's difficult, as most books have their share of fans/detractors, so I don't believe there is anything I can say everyone but I hated. ..."

Agreed! The best I can come up with is Twilight. I know tons of people love this one, but I think this group has more than a few who also hated it!

message 12: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 836 comments I know a lot of people have strong negative feelings about A Confederacy of Dunces but I am delighted by it. It is a satirical wonder. It's obnoxious and hilarious. It could possibly have used a little editing, but as it was published posthumously, I can understand why it was published as it was. I love Ignatius J. Reilly (the main character).

message 13: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6437 comments Definitely has to be Atlas Shrugged . . .which is hated by many, but when I read it, I liked it. not sure if I would now.

message 14: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4984 comments Anita wrote: "Definitely has to be Atlas Shrugged . . .which is hated by many, but when I read it, I liked it. not sure if I would now."

Me too Anita!