Beyond Reality discussion

General - Group Business > Nominations for September 2016!

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (last edited Jun 21, 2016 10:30AM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Hi everyone,

It's time to open nominations for our September 2016 Books of the Month. Each group member can make 1 science fiction and/or 1 fantasy nomination in this thread. If you would like to make a nomination, please reply to this post with the title and author of the book(s) you would like to put forward for the group’s consideration. A couple of suggestions to keep in mind:

1. Telling us a little about the book and why you think it would be a good group read can help get other members interested in reading (and voting for) your nomination.

2. To see if your nomination has already been read by the group, you can check:

a. the group's bookshelf for Previous Books of the Month

and/or

b. these threads:
Master List of Previous Books of the Month 2012-Present
Master List of Previous Books of the Month 2006-2011

Books the group has read in the past 2 years are not eligible for current consideration. Being chosen as a past BotM prior to that time is not an automatic disqualification, but be aware that it may hinder your nomination’s chances at the polls.

General guidelines:
• Feel free to re-nominate a book that didn’t win in the polls in previous months!
• For questions regarding specifics such as book formats, books in series, self-nomination and various rules for nominations, please see the group FAQ.
• Seconding isn't necessary in this group.
• Friendly discussion & debate is strongly encouraged, but let's please keep things civil.

Poll schedule:
• Nominations will remain open through Monday, June 20.
• The first round of polls will open Tuesday, June 21, and will run through Saturday, June 25.
• The run-off polls go up Sunday, June 26, and will be open through Thursday, June 30.

Thanks!

NOMINATIONS SO FAR:

SCIENCE FICTION:
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers (Paul)
Lock In by John Scalzi (Kurt)
Probability Moon by Nancy Kress (Nick)
The Long Tomorrow by Leigh Brackett (Candiss)

FANTASY:
Someplace to Be Flying by Charles de Lint (Paul)
A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab (Kurt)
The Copper Promise by Jen Williams (Viv)
Last Song Before Night by Ilana C. Myer (Kathi)
Smoke by Dan Vyleta (Candiss)
Jurgen by James Branch Cabell (Wastrel)

message 2: by Paul (last edited Jun 14, 2016 12:45PM) (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 218 comments Evenin' all

I'll kick things off by nominating:

sci-fi - The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet about which I have been hearing very good things, it sounds like a fun read

fantasy - Someplace to Be Flying - Charles de Lint is simply one of the finest fantasy writers around. His Newford books interconnect by can be read as standalones and this, blending urban-set fiction with Native American myth, is just magical

message 3: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Rocourt (krocourt) | 38 comments For Science Fiction I will nominate Lock In by John Scalzi. I picked it up because of a Goodreads recommendation after it was on sale via Amazon and Apple. The story seems like it may be a thriller.

For Fantasy I will nominate A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab. The idea of multiple Londons with differing amounts of magic sounds interesting.

message 4: by Viv (new)

Viv JM I won't nominate a sci-fi book, as I'll be voting for The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet but for fantasy, I'd like to nominate dragon fantasy The Copper Promise by Jen Williams as I've heard great things about it.

message 5: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3153 comments Mod
For Fantasy, I will nominate Last Song Before Night by Ilana C. Myer. I know it has been nominated before and has generated some interest, so I thought, " Let's try again." It is a debut novel. I "know" the author through an online book group.

message 6: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 966 comments For Sci Fi, I'll nominate Probability Moon by Nancy Kress

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 480 comments Nick wrote: "For Sci Fi, I'll nominate Probability Moon by Nancy Kress"

Excellent choice.

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8 comments I'll be torn between A Darker Shade of Magic and The Copper Promise for fantasy. Both of which I've had on my to-read for a while.

So for Sci-FI I'll go with NOS4A2 by Joe Hill I haven't read anything by him before so I'll be looking forward to it.

message 9: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Scott wrote: "I'll be torn between A Darker Shade of Magic and The Copper Promise for fantasy. Both of which I've had on my to-read for a while.

So for Sci-FI I'll go with [book..."

Scott - NOS4A2 fits our criteria just fine, as we do include horror if it's also fantasy or science fiction, but we would have to include this one in the fantasy category, not sf. It's paranormal/supernatural in nature, and horror/fantasy is how other Goodreaders have shelved it. Do you want to include it in the fantasy vote, or do you want to make a different nomination so this doesn't conflict with the other two books you are interested in in the fantasy category?

message 10: by Candiss (last edited Jun 20, 2016 12:01PM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments I'll nominate something old and something new.

For science fiction, I'll suggest The Long Tomorrow by Leigh Brackett. This oft-overlooked 1955 classic has messages that still resonate today. Written by the woman who wrote the original screenplay for The Empire Strikes Back, as well as Western genre film classics such as Rio Bravo and the film adaptation (with Faulkner) of Chandler's The Big Sleep, the book is part of the SF Masterworks series.

For fantasy, I'll nominate Smoke by Dan Vyleta. I've heard a lot about this - many raves, some rants - and it seems like it might spawn good discussion.

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 480 comments Candiss wrote: For science fiction, I'll suggest The Long Tomorrow by Leigh Brackett. This oft-overlooked 1955 classic has messages that still resonate today. Written by the woman who wrote the original screenplay for The Empire Strikes Back, as well as Western genre film classics such as Rio Bravo and the film adaptation (with Faulkner) of Chandler's The Big Sleep, the book is part of the SF Masterworks series."

Another great nomination. I had this book knocking around the house for years without reading it. This despite having gone through the Mars adventures and others. Gonna be a tough choice when we get down to voting.

message 12: by Wastrel (new)

Wastrel | 40 comments Well, since the polls haven't gone up yet, I may as well try again:

Jurgen. F Scott Fitzgerald, Robert Heinlein, Fritz Leiber and Neil Gaiman all listed Cabell as their favourite (English language) author, and Mark Twain picked his books to read on his deathbed. Jurgen is his most famous work, and a seminal novel in the history of the fantasy genre. It's a comedy with a style somewhere in the area between Wodehouse and Pratchett, but with a very serious thematic undercurrent and some beautiful prose. It was banned for moral degeneracy for two years. It sees a charming, philandering rogue suffer a mid-life crisis while trying (theoretically) to rescue his wife from the devil in the middle of an Arthurian legend... Merlin, Helen of Troy, God, and "Grandfather Satan" all appear as characters.

It's the greatest classic of the fantasy genre that hardly anybody has read (or even heard of)... and it's also quite short!

message 13: by Scott (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8 comments Candiss wrote: "Scott wrote: "I'll be torn between A Darker Shade of Magic and The Copper Promise for fantasy. Both of which I've had on my to-read for a while.

So for Sci-FI I'll..."

Thanks for the clarification. No I'll rescind the nomination so I don't split the vote between three books I want to read.

message 14: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments The polls will be up in a few minutes, folks. Nominations are now closed!

message 15: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments The first round of polls are up and open for voting through the end of the day Saturday, June 25.

Science Fiction: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Fiction: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 16: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments The September run-off polls are now live. Voting will remain open through Thursday, June 30.

SF: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

F: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...