Beta Reader Group discussion

Writing Advice & Discussion > Marketing Advice

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martin (new)

Martin Rinehart I'm up to the point in beta reading where the feedback is calling for smaller fixes, not wholesale revisions. Thank goodness!

But now I am turning my attention to marketing I've read Tim Grahl's book (1st 1000 copies). Would be well along on building my platform if I'd read it two or three years ago.

So can anyone give me a rundown on the other books and strategies out there? My novel will be one of more than a million on Amazon. Not sure it will sell itself.

TIA.

message 2: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 125 comments Put the first chapter up on Wattpad. Gain some followers. Make a facebook page. You can pay $5 and facebook will advertise your book on people's newsfeeds that interests are the same as your novel. You can make a blog. Share your story on Twitter. Give copies to readers and bloggers for an honest review. There's also NetGalley where professional readers get your book for free and in exchange, they post reviews on Amazon, Goodreads, and their personal blog. But that is costly. I believe it's $399 to have it on NetGalley for 6 months. Free to contact bloggers individually and offer them Advance Reader Copies in exchange for a review.

message 3: by Martin (last edited Jun 15, 2016 01:51AM) (new)

Martin Rinehart Thank you, Danielle.

I'm still wondering about the 'How to Market Your Novel' books. Joanna Penn, Sean Platt, Rob Eagar, Michelle Scott, David Gaughran...

I like David Murphy's title, Book Marketing Is Dead.

message 4: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 125 comments Here is an article that one of my betas sent me. Has some good info.

http://www.sfwa.org/2015/07/marketing...

message 5: by Martin (new)

Martin Rinehart Thanks Danielle. Gave it a once-over and it looks very on target.

I've started a webliography with this article, and now have a nearly infinite appetite for more.

message 6: by Martin (new)

Martin Rinehart I guess I'll go first. Went through Amazon's suggestions and ordered a half dozen of the highest rated. Will report after I've read them.

Right now I'm looking at the ads to the right of the message area. Anyone have any experience with these? Worth the expense?