Franz Kafka discussion

The Castle

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (last edited Jun 14, 2016 10:37AM) (new)

Nick Riso (nickriso) | 2 comments Finished this work about a month ago, and I'd like to hear some impressions.... It's sad that Kafka wasn't able to finish the wonderful story, but I think we get the essence of the lesson all the same.

message 2: by Mariusz (last edited Jun 19, 2016 06:13AM) (new)

Mariusz | 8 comments hi Nick. I am happy you started this thread. I am actually quite astonished that castle doesn't seem to get that much attention compared to other Kafka's works.
I finished the book few years ago. I am currently reading it in German. I personally think it is an exeptionally rich study of human sociopathy, yet the funniest of all three novels.

message 3: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 42 comments Pardon me that I disagree - the Castle basically does reach its "finish" or climax with K.'s meeting with Buergel and his falling asleep (rather than getting ANYTHING he may desire!) >>> like Plato, who finishes before the finish - Kafka places the dilemma of modern man's incapacity to experience "higher reality" in a chapter near the end and then fades off back into blathering away, about clothes of all things. The TRIAL is similar what with the meeting with "Priest" (Geistlicher) in the Cathedral (Dom)....

message 4: by Nick (new)

Nick Riso (nickriso) | 2 comments I actually think you've agreed with me Phillip...like I said, Kafka didn't necessarily finish it (in the sense that he was finished what exactly he wanted to be finished), but the essence of his meaning is there nonetheless.

message 5: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 42 comments The Castle (with K.) and The Trial (with Josef K.) and Josephine the Songstress all are part of Kafka's "dream-like" state of inspired writings.... and to fully understand K. one has to see all of the interconnections of his prose. Thus, Kafka acquires the stature that he deserves: Prophet of the Modern Age.

http://home.earthlink.net/~ushaphil/i...

pl.

message 6: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 42 comments An article regarding translation and, in particular, about the meeting between K. and Buergel in THE CASTLE:

https://mla.hcommons.org/deposits/ite...

Enjoy, p.