Support for Indie Authors discussion

Fun > The Truths your Teachers told you.

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

C.B. Archer | 1090 comments Mod
It was mentioned in 'The Lies your Teachers told you' thread that a truths conversation would be a quick conversation.

Always one to test out theories I have made this thread. What are some of the truths your teachers told you?

I shall go first, as is customary, when you start a thread.

We had to do English journals in grade 11 (and eventually 12). Basically they were a diary about things and whatnots just to get us writing. Every semester we were to do 25 of the 2 pages things. There was much hate for these little blighters in the class.

Customary to not giving a darn about them, (and my typical attitude at the time towards putting things off) they were due the next morning. It was 8pm. I had done... zero of them. It was probably time to start... how long could it take?

Short answer: A long time. I stayed up all night. Wrote them all through other classes, skipped lunch, and handed them in exhausted at the end of the last class for the day, when they were due. It was then the weekend. I slept a lot.

On Monday my teacher took me aside and asked, "You stayed up all night writing these, didn't you? You post-dated them, but that is a lie, isn't it? You even wrote the last two in my class instead of listening to me talk about poetry!"
I sheepishly replied with a feeble "Yes."
"Wonderful!" He replied. "Just wanted to check!"

I was shocked, didn't say anything, so he did.
"I want you to do that every time! In fact, I insist upon it. These were the most crazy things I have read from a student and I positively loved them. Each one was a further decent into the madness that is your completely insane writing style, and I want to read more of it. Next time, put the times on it so I can experience it in real time."

I got 120% on those, a 20% bonus for making him laugh like a crazy person. From the most notoriously hard marker in the school. He told me to analyze the last ones, and see what made them stand out - then to always write like that. That was my style, and I needed to embrace the crazy, and to be a writer that used that style.

I promptly ignore that advice and went into a completely different field.

message 2: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
That's an awesome story C.B. I wish I had some amazing story to tell, but truth is told, either my teachers ignored me or they thought I was so much or a smart ass I spent most days in the hallways playing hacky sack. I mean, it's not my fault I can solve your math problem in my head and you can't.
I just wanted to say, awesome story and a perfect counterpoint to the other thread.

message 3: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4271 comments Mod
When I was in high school, we were assigned to write a story in which we tell what our lives will be like in ten, twenty, thirty, forty and fifty years. In it, I wrote that I became a cartoonist.

My teacher commented, "maybe you should consider being a writer instead."

Another, this one in college, gave a lot of advice for writing, but the one thing that stuck with me was, "make it strange". I embrace those three words of advice in everything I write. No matter how realistic I'm trying to be, I leave a little room for weirdness.

message 4: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

Riley wrote: "I mean, it's not my fault I can solve your math problem in my head and you can't."

First, thanks!
Second. This. All kinds of this.

I loved math, and decided to take Math 12 and Calculus.
That was apparently a mistake.
My brain would only learn the best way to do something, and discard the other method. 50% Math, 50% Calculus.

Combine that with a teacher that used the same tests / problems for both classes, and graded mostly based on showing your work...
Apparently, using Mathulus isn't the correct way of 'showing your work'.

Can you get nearly every question right on assignments and tests and still only pass your classes because someone besides your teacher graded the mid-term and final? Yes, yes you can. (That teacher would get a bop on the head, Peter Rabbit Style, if I ever saw him again.

message 5: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 606 comments Wow, I love this! I love awesome teachers, too!

I grew up in a religious school where we had to retell a lot of the Bible, which had the potential to be a bit of a snoozefest. I made up comic strips to do most of the retelling (with my terrible stick figures) but my teachers went crazy over them for some reason. They would tell me they always looked forward to whatever writing assignments that I turned in. For English Literature, I would write parodies of the works of Robert Frost, Poe, and Shakespeare because...well because it needed to be done. These always seemed to go over well because most people found the original works to be as tedious as I did.

My last year of high school, I found out that I enjoyed making money more than I enjoyed doing homework. So I began working two jobs and did not do the English projects I was supposed to. My teacher was not impressed and I graduated with a D in English. So I would love to be all successful and glamorous someday and give kids inspirational speeches about how I got a D in English, haha.

message 6: by Charles (new)

Charles Hash | 1054 comments I had a teacher tell me I was full of ssss once, and dangit, she was right.

message 7: by Zoltán (new)

Zoltán (witchhunter) | 267 comments My Mathematical Analysis teacher asked: "You all think that natural numbers are natural? I will show you they aren't..."

Oh hell, he did show us :)

message 8: by Grace (new)

Grace Crandall | 79 comments My mom (who was also technically my teacher--homeschooled and all that) always said that we were given our wild and crazy dreams for a reason, and we should pursue them no matter how foolish anyone told us they were.

Always loved hearing that :)

message 9: by Christina (last edited Jun 14, 2016 02:38PM) (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) "Wonder Woman is not a career option"

-some jerk who taught fourth grade.

Many decades later, I'm still trying to prove the jerk wrong.

message 10: by Ahmed (new)

Ahmed Al-Sheikh | 48 comments Every teacher I had for English praised my writing and that I'd go far. This included several college professors who, after reading the first chapters for my novel Lunen, would keep asking me what happens next. It actually made me feel like I was meant to be an author.

Now if only the sales reflected that.

message 11: by Tony (new)

Tony Blenman | 89 comments I had a teacher who told me I was a "good horse but wouldn't run." I used to get good marks in all my subjects, especially Math, until my interest turned to sports. The truth was I didn't do my homework assignments until the morning just before class started. Obviously, I didn't do well.

message 12: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Eyre (rachaeleyre) | 192 comments My creative writing tutor made no bones about the fact that it was a hard life and wouldn't be your primary income. Though he was undoubtedly talking about traditional publishing, his honesty has meant I haven't been desperately disillusioned by my lack of £££s.

message 13: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 727 comments I was going through a very rough time at school, so I wrote really quite dark poetry, which caught the attention of my teacher. She even had one published somewhere.

And another English teacher held up my work as "the way to lay out paragraphs".

But nobody ever told me I'd be a writer, and it's taken me a while to discover that side of me myself.

message 14: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor C.B. wrote: "Customary to not giving a darn about them, (and my typical attitude at the time towards putting things off) they were due the next morning. It was 8pm. I had done... zero of them. It was probably time to start... how long could it take?..."

I wrote my entire 20 page term paper the night before it was due...on a typewriter.

message 15: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 1042 comments Truths I learned from teachers ... well, not limiting it to English/writing, I'd have to say the biggest truth I learned was from a math teacher in HS. The man just simply didn't give a F. He was a broken, sad man. He wanted to teach, but he told me one day that he'd just given up on most kids because he had come to realize that neither the kids, nor their parents gave a F either. He was a delight when teaching kids who wanted to learn, but most of the time it was like "whatever, I'll get paid, you'll go away and live your sad lives, so ... hey-ho."

Not very uplifting, but I'm afraid that's pretty much true for most kids. Neither they, nor their parents, nor the school admin really give much of a F whether actual teaching happens.

...Oh, and my biology teacher taught me that, physiologically, condoms cannot be worn by women (a lesson jointly learned with the truth that some apparently smart people can be REALLY ignorant and naïve).

message 16: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments An art teacher once told me I had no imagination at all and for the longest time, I believed him. (Some days, I still believe him. :P )

message 17: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

J.J. wrote: "I wrote my entire 20 page term paper the night before it was due...on a typewriter."

After my own heart I see! :D

message 18: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

Micah wrote: "...Oh, and my biology teacher taught me that, physiologically, condoms cannot be worn by women"

Somebody has obviously not heard of condom finger puppets.

message 19: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

G.G. wrote: "An art teacher once told me I had no imagination at all and for the longest time, I believed him. (Some days, I still believe him. :P )"

This should go in the lies thread GG, because that is total bullocks.

message 20: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 888 comments When I was eleven years old my PE teacher told me I'd never be a gymnast.

Am now sixty-something. And guess what the old bat was right.

On the upside she wasn't much cop as a teacher....

message 21: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) My teachers never told me anything. I was pretty much invisible in school, but in time I grew up and became a complete non-entity.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 968 comments For those who were told good things in your childhood, that's wonderful! For those who were not encouraged or actually discouraged, congratulations on being successful despite that! For those who weren't noticed (Ken), it's better than being yelled at all the time. My chatty mouth always got me in trouble in school, and then at home. : (

message 23: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 1042 comments Ken wrote: "My teachers never told me anything. I was pretty much invisible in school, but in time I grew up and became a complete non-entity."

One of my HS English teachers despised me simply because my older brother pissed her off. I never did find out why she hated him so much...no clue what the history there was. But I never did anything bad in her class. Was an average to above average performer, never caused problems, never challenged her authority ... still, every time she looked at me there was hatred in her eyes. Weird.

message 24: by Micah (last edited Jun 15, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 1042 comments C.B. wrote: "Micah wrote: "...Oh, and my biology teacher taught me that, physiologically, condoms cannot be worn by women"

Somebody has obviously not heard of condom finger puppets."

Condom finger puppets were not a hot topic in sex ed. class.

That same biology teacher also taught me another truth: Just because someone seems to have it all together, is smart and funny, that doesn't mean they aren't suffering from depression. He shot himself the year after I graduated. ;( My favorite HS teacher, too.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 968 comments Micah, I had a similar situation in school due to two smart mouthed cousins ahead of me.

Sorry about your biology teacher. He was right. Robin Williams committed suicide. Jim Carey suffers severe depression. On the upside, Louie Anderson has written three books as a result of suffering abuse as a child.

I guess whatever doesn't kill gives us a great imagination to dream of how we wish things really were?

message 26: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Sue (Dog Mom) wrote: "Robin Williams committed suicide. Jim Carey suffers severe depression. On the upside, Louie Anderson has written three books as a result of suffering abuse as a child."

Yep. Part of the reason I started writing humor is I found it a great coping mechanism against depression.

message 27: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 606 comments V.M. wrote: "Sue - we can hope. Sometimes I think we develop these crazy worlds and stories to escape or improve the lives we can't. ."

Absolutely true for me.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 968 comments Good to know I'm in great company. Thank you for sharing. I suffer depression, anxiety, and panic attacks. And I know how low one can get and how dark the world seems sometimes. I've been writing since I was a kid. When I'm around people, my goal is to make them laugh. I have no talent for writing comedy, but I can write stories about people overcoming adversity or about a world where fairies and dragons and flying dogs exist... Just kidding about the flying dogs... they actually roller-skate. : )

message 29: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Sue (Dog Mom) wrote: "I have no talent for writing comedy..."

I have no talent at all, but that doesn't stop me.

Yeah, along with depression, anxiety can get the better of me at times and I have had a couple of panic attacks. I think it's actually pretty common among creative types.

Dogs on roller skates. Fun!

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 968 comments V.M. - Thanks for the great advice. So many people in this group have a wonderful sense of humor. I'm very grateful to be accepted here.

Dwayne - You are absolutely funny. All the time. I look forward to reading your posts.

Now if I can only teach our dogs to tie their own shoes. : )

message 31: by G.G. (last edited Jun 15, 2016 05:02PM) (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Oh Sue, you fit right in here. Why wouldn't you be accepted? Besides, you are kind and funny, two qualities I admire.

Mine can do without shoes. I'd want to teach them to use the toilet. THAT would be handy. No more carpet cleaning. :/

message 32: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments C.B. wrote: "This should go in the lies thread GG, because that is total bullocks..."

And you CB, I'm surprised you haven't been snuggled to death, yet. I had typed smuggled instead of snuggled but the more I think about it, the more I think smuggled might be the right word. I'd smuggle you for hugs. You're worth your gold's weight in kindness. :P

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 968 comments G.G. - Thank you for your very kind words.

Yes! Teaching dogs to use the toilet would be GREAT!! Then we can teach them to bathe. : )

message 34: by Zoltán (new)

Zoltán (witchhunter) | 267 comments Mentioning biology teachers reminded me of a case.

I went to a 'racing team' kind of HS, as we call it here. There was a period when my biology teacher had a 'bad period' and raised the bar even further. (On our scale of 1 (worst) to 5 (best), those that went on to be doctors and did well on national biology competitions, got 2s and 3s mostly.) In one of the tests I needed one point to get a better mark. Reviewing the test I saw that the teacher marked my good answer as bad. His answer was wrong. I told him during class and also explained why he was wrong (he actually didn't know about something).

He answered me: "This is a clear case when knowing more is a bad thing!" He didn't give me the point and I got the original mark.

Truth: You quite often have to hold back yourself and align with others if you want to progress.

message 35: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

G.G. wrote: "C.B. wrote: "And you CB, I'm surprised you haven't been snuggled to death, yet. I had typed smuggled instead of snuggled but the more I think about it, the more I think smuggled might be the right word. I'd smuggle you for hugs. You're worth your gold's weight in kindness. :P"

I was snuggled to death in a previous life. That is why I have a birthmark on my sweetmeats!