Savvy Readers discussion

The last book you bought was....

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sissy Lu (new)

Sissy Lu {Book Savvy Reviews} | 33 comments Mod
Well, this is always an on going thing, but the last book I bought was Born of Betrayal by Sherrilyn Kenyon.

It was staring at me in the store...so I had to!

What about you?

message 2: by Jonathan (last edited Jun 15, 2016 05:10PM) (new)

Jonathan (jsharbour) | 17 comments I've been going through a monarchy phase or something, with big interest in the Tudors, Henry VIII, Elizabeth I, Ann Boleyn. So I bought several books a couple days ago:

Pavane by Keith Roberts is alternate history with the premise: What if Elizabeth had been assassinated before she was able to defeat the Spanish Armada, and thus Spain conquered Britain in the name of the Pope, reverting Henry VIII's establishment of the Church of England as a protestant refuge? Fascinating idea. This 1968 novel takes the story forward to the 20th century where the world is still stuck with feudalism and America never happened (quite the same way).

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

Between Two Kings. A Novel of Anne Boleyn, another alternate history in which: What if Ann Boleyn had escaped the Tower of London (with the help of Francis I of France) and was not executed?

So I'm eager to read them as soon as my current reads are done.

message 3: by Sissy Lu (new)

Sissy Lu {Book Savvy Reviews} | 33 comments Mod
They sound interesting. I have quite a few Philippa Gregory books that I have yet to tap into and really want to! If you get to her before me you have to let me know how you liked her style/story telling.

message 4: by Jonathan (last edited Jun 16, 2016 10:18AM) (new)

Jonathan (jsharbour) | 17 comments Reviewers say Gregory inconsistent in her writing for this series. To me, it's mind-blowing to think Ann Boleyn is responsible--indirectly--for religious freedom and the way in which America was founded. I know France owned a third of the continent until Napoleon foolishly sold it off, and Spain owned the southwest before that was conquered. But still, the English colonies led to the USA as we know it today, which was made possible by Ann Boleyn demanding that Henry marry her before she would sleep with him. Wow!

In The Other Boleyn Girl, Gregory suggests that the accusations of incest against Ann were true, but we don't really know that, historically, and they were more likely fabricated lies to discredit her. But by then, Henry was chasing Jane Seymore on his eternal quest for a son.

But I'm getting too deep. Will wait for a review and/or another thread...