Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Just for Fun > 10 OBNOXIOUS THINGS HARD-CORE READERS SAY TO PEOPLE

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1864 comments Mod
http://bookriot.com/2014/06/09/10-obn...

10 OBNOXIOUS THINGS HARD-CORE READERS SAY TO PEOPLE

BRENNA CLARKE GRAY
06-09-14

Here are 10 super-cringy things I’ve overhead book people saying to non-book people, and I wish to goodness they would stop.

1. Oh, you watch television. Oh. I read.

2. Uh huh. I didn’t see that movie because I already read the book and 3. obviously it’s going to be better.

3. I only read 100 books last year. I hope to do better this year.

4. Your favourite writer is Jodi Picoult? Oh. Okay. Yeah, no, she’s fine.

5. I would love to buy something like that but I spend all my money on books.

6. Ebooks? Ew. There’s just something about a tangible book and the way it smells.

7. Oh, you’re just getting to that book now? I read an ARC months ago.

8. Tee hee! I just bought all these books and goodness, I feel so guilty!

9. Um, where are your bookshelves?

10. I don’t understand how you fill your time if you don’t read!

Ok, be honest, how many of these, or variations of, have you said to people before? Me, I might have only said 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. Just 9 out of 10, that's all. ;-)

message 2: by Louise (new)

Louise | 280 comments 9! I just don't feel comfortable around people with no book shelves (in their minimalistic, cold, white morgue like livingrooms. )

message 3: by Louise (last edited Jun 14, 2016 06:52AM) (new)

Louise | 280 comments I actually sat next to a woman I didn't know at a dinner party, who was proud of her minimalistic life-style, and as I didn't have an e-reader at the time, we were discussing ereaders and music streaming etc. She said " but you like to read right? - what do you do when the shops are closed and you finish the book you're reading and want to read something else??" (the concept of hundreds or thounsands of unread books was very foreign to her)

message 4: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Louise wrote: "I actually sat next to a woman I didn't know at a dinner party, who was proud of her minimalistic life-style, and as I didn't have an e-reader at the time, we were discussing ereaders and music str..."

The majority of my shelves at home are full of books I HAVEN'T read, so that comment is utterly hilarious. :D

message 5: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 418 comments I know I've been guilty of assuming someone doesn't read because they don't have hundreds of books on their shelves and ending up saying something stupid when they ask if I've read a certain book. Usually, "Oh, you do read." And only realizing two seconds later that I've really sounded rude.