What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Adult novel about French policeman/detective. Published before 1983. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg (new)

Greg Tatum | 28 comments I read this book in the late 70's or early 80's, so it was published sometime prior. I got it at a library, so I don't know if it was new or old at the time. I believe it was set shortly after WWII but could have been later. I really don't remember any character names or even the plot. One thing I seem to remember, was there was some mention of "cigarette boats" used for smuggling. Whether smuggling was the "case" for the cop or just some minor part, I don't remember. If I had to guess, I would say there was a murder or espionage involved, as that was the type of book I was interested in at the time. I believe the story was set in Mar seille. It was a more serious book than something like Agatha Christie's Poirot. I read The Day of the Jackal around the same time so I may be confusing parts of that with this book, but I'm sure this is a different book. That's all I can think of about this book. Not much to go on. Thanks for any help.

message 2: by Tab (last edited Jun 15, 2016 06:27AM) (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments Sounds like The Dangerous Edge The Dangerous Edge by Robert Daley . It was first published in 1983.

Here is a snippet of a much longer review from Kirkus:
Daley (Year of the Dragon, To Kill a Cop, Prince of the City) takes his police-procedural savvy on a trip to a foreign place-and-time--to 1954 Nice, where a local cop doggedly pursues the US-expatriate mastermind of the "heist of the century." The mastermind is danger-loving WW II hero Lambert, a would-be playwright and sometime cigarette-smuggler who teams up with the Marseille "Milieu" to plan an assault on the Banque de Nice: in the novel's riveting opening chapter.

message 3: by Greg (new)

Greg Tatum | 28 comments Tab wrote: "Sounds like The Dangerous EdgeThe Dangerous Edge by Robert Daley. It was first published in 1983.

Here is a snippet of a much longer review from Kirkus:
Daley (Year of the Drago..."
That has to be it! I wasn't sure at first, but the more I look at it, the more I believe. I do seem to remember reading some of Robert Daley's work. I seem to remember this having a dark blue/black cover and one of the other editions looks like what I remember. The local cop in Nice, 1954, cigarette smuggler, Marseille, everything fits perfectly.

Thank you so much, Tab! I really didn't think anyone would get this, with the little info I could remember. I have tried so many different types of searches over the years and never could find anything. Thanks again!

message 4: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments you're welcome!