RDG 6319 Foundations of Reading, Summer 2016 discussion

Maniac Magee

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 39 comments I did not like this book very much. It was sad to read about Jefferey Magee's unfortunate life through cruel discriminations and homelessness. This is not a book that I would pick up to read on a normal basis. I did find out that they made a movie about this book, and I wonder if it is any better than the book? Although I was not a fan of this book, it is a good book to use with my students when talking about racial predjudices and issues of homelessness. I would use this book with my older upper grade level students because I feel like they could find something to relate to in this book, or have compassion for Jefferey.

-Nickole Castillo

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments There were some very touching moments in this book. My heart just melted when Magee taught Grayson to read, and then broke when Grayson died. The relationships Magee develops are both heart warming and frustrating. I kept wanting the adults to do a better job of supervising him! The author offered a different perspective of race through the ways he depicted Magee identifying several different shades of color rather then just black and white.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments Nickole wrote: "I did not like this book very much. It was sad to read about Jefferey Magee's unfortunate life through cruel discriminations and homelessness. This is not a book that I would pick up to read on a n..."

You are right - this book definitely invites readers to begin a dialogue about racial tension and homelessness. I would be interested to hear how students respond to both social issues.

message 4: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 39 comments Kimberly,
I agree when Grayson died I was so upset! It's amazing how much a friendship can change things! (: At least in Magee's life he made friends, so he wasn't totally alone all the time.

-Nickole

message 5: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 18 comments I like the way Magee’s relationships made me feel. His relationships touched my heart and made me sad. The relationship he had with his aunt and uncle made me think of some of the kids I have taught. This book sparks thoughts on homelessness and racial prejudgment which are good talking points with a class.

message 6: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 18 comments Kimberly wrote: "There were some very touching moments in this book. My heart just melted when Magee taught Grayson to read, and then broke when Grayson died. The relationships Magee develops are both heart warming..."

I liked Magee's and Grayson's relationship too.