RDG 6319 Foundations of Reading, Summer 2016 discussion

Tuck Everlasting

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 39 comments I was surprised how this book was written. It seems like a magical tale with some violence throughout the story. Tuck Everlasting is about a girl named Winnie and the Tuck family. Winnie finds out about the Tuck family being immortal, and she is intrigued. A man in a yellow suit is paid a bond to find Winnie and bring her back, however Mae ends up murdering him. At the end Angus gives Winnie a bottle of the river water which will make her immortal, but she decides not to drink it and lives a normal life. I liked the different twists in this story and I think my students would like all of the drama in this book, I think you could have your students write about what they would do if they were given immortality. Would they chose to drink it like Angus, or would they choose not to like Winnie? I liked this book, and I will definitely add it to my classroom library,

-Nickole Castillo

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments I really enjoyed reading about the Tuck family and their encounter with Winnie. The book was suspenseful, and I found it difficult to put down. I wasn't expecting Mae Tuck to murder the man in the yellow suit! I thought the way Winnie compared her life to how the Tuck's lived to be intriguing (especially when she associated the condition of their house with ability live forever - or, maybe they just didn't care). I really think this book will capture students' attention, and would lead to very vibrant discussions.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments Nickole wrote: "I was surprised how this book was written. It seems like a magical tale with some violence throughout the story. Tuck Everlasting is about a girl named Winnie and the Tuck family. Winnie finds out ..."

I was kind of surprised that Winnie chose not to drink the water. I wonder if her decision was influenced by not wanting to hurt her family again or from the dangers Angus Tuck warned her about.

message 4: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 39 comments Kimberly,
Me too! I am not sure if I would drink the water either. I would at least keep it instead of dumping it on the frog. I agree that Mae shooting the man in the yellow suit was definitely a shocking surprise!!

-Nickole

message 5: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 18 comments This story is both magical and powerful. Natalie Babbit’s writing is colorful and makes it easy to imagine the countryside. Students could explore fables, myths and fairy tales from different cultures.

message 6: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 39 comments Robyn,
I like your idea! I think it would be interesting to use some of the powerful sentences in this book for a writing workshop mini lesson! (: There is so much that you can do with this great book.

-Nickole

message 7: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments Robyn wrote: "This story is both magical and powerful. Natalie Babbit’s writing is colorful and makes it easy to imagine the countryside. Students could explore fables, myths and fairy tales from different cultu..."

I agree - it was easy to picture yourself in the Wood because of the author's writing.