Play Book Tag discussion

H is for Hawk
This topic is about H is for Hawk
Archive: Other Books > H is for Hawk by Helen MacDonald - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

annapi | 4856 comments A fascinating memoir. Stricken by grief after her father's death, Helen seeks solitude and immerses herself in the task of training one of the fiercest avian predators, the goshawk. Side by side with Helen's journey she takes us into the same raptor training and self-seeking of the author T.H. White, who also wrote a book on the same subject, called The Goshawk. Helen's psychoanalysis of White goes hand in hand with that of her own self, and we descend into their mental chaos that teeters on the brink of madness.

A fascinating read, sometimes it felt a bit long, but I am glad I was pushed to read this for Jen's game as it's not the kind of thing I would pick up on my own.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I was underwhelmed by this book. I was really looking forward to it, but I just could not connect with Helen and her hawk obsession. I realized she was quite unbalanced, although not exactly mad, but I just didn't care about her, she seemed quite cold and distant.

Anita Pomerantz | 6249 comments Linda S wrote: "I was underwhelmed by this book. I was really looking forward to it, but I just could not connect with Helen and her hawk obsession. I realized she was quite unbalanced, although not exactly mad, b..."

I'm with Linda on this one . . .the book felt like it was very arms length to me. I didn't feel Helen's grief, nor did I really feel her love for the hawk. Something about this book fell flat for me, and I honestly thought I was going to really like it a lot.

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments I started listening to this one on audio and about an hour into it I gave up. I was not a fan of the narrator (the author) so that may have played a role in it, but the story just did not pull me in.

Maybe some day if I am in the mood for a memoir about a slighty crazy lady.