Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > National Bookstore: Has anyone had this happen?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annie (last edited Jun 13, 2016 06:29PM) (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Sooo...

Today, my friend was like, "Hey, I thought you only listed your book on Amazon and Kobo."
I was like, "Um. Yeah, I did." Well...

http://www.nationalbookstore.com/revi...

Is anyone familiar with them? They seem to be a legit store in the Philippines. But I totally did NOT list on there. *shrugs* Can they actually sell my book sans...well...me?

Hugs,
Ann

message 2: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 787 comments Hmm I don't know anything about them but they have my book Opium Warfare listed as well. If they're legit I'd say embrace it and make it pertain to your Philippines audience.

message 3: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Yay! I'm not alone!!

Thanks for letting me know, Justin :) Do we just smile and nod? Or do you plan to contact them and actually make a royalty on sales? I totally dunno hahaha.

Hugs,
Ann

message 4: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) They have one of my books, too, distributed by Smashwords, according to the ISBN. Seems legit.

message 5: by Annie (last edited Jun 13, 2016 07:13PM) (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Hmm, I see. Question for you gentlemen:
I've only listed on Amazon and Kobo. They're both single-channel services, unless I'm mistaken? So... *scratches head* ... hahaha

Appreciative hugs,
Ann

message 6: by Ken (last edited Jun 13, 2016 07:24PM) (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) I can only guess that Kobo is the distributor. Smashwords distributes to Kobo, and the ISBN on my book was from Smashwords. If they sell mine I would be paid by Smashwords. If they sell yours, probably Kobo.

message 7: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Ahhhh, makes sense. I thought that Kobo wasn't a distribution service (clearly need to do my research LOL) Thank you so very much for clearing that up, Mr Ken :)

Hugs,
Ann

message 8: by Ken (new)

message 9: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Ken wrote: "Here we go, found this: http://news.kobo.com/press/releases/k..."

Ken!! I seriously could hug you right now! And bake you a batch of cookies!! For reals!!! Thank you :D :D :D

On a funny note, That did that way back in 2013. Heh. I need to get up to speed *smirks*

Again, thank you :)

message 10: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) According to their own website, Kobo distributes to third party resellers all over the world and National is listed among them, so yes, you would already be getting royalties but they would be coming from Kobo.

message 11: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Hahahaha, yeah, Miss Christina...I clearly need to do my research :P

Really appreciate the intel. Funny thing is that I totally wasn't even mad. I was just like, "Huh, how did it get there?" LOL

Hugs,
Ann

message 12: by Justin (last edited Jun 13, 2016 08:57PM) (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 787 comments Hmm interesting. So their distributor is Kobo which means if someone buys off National Bookstores site we get royalties from Kobo? I'll take that all day long lol.

Annie, to answer your question, I suppose I could contact them or I'll at the very least look into them to make sure they are legit although Ken has all but confirmed that. I see it as another site to sell off of and since you said it's Philippines based then perhaps I'll target them and see how it goes. :)

I have a friend from the Philippines. She says she gets books from them sometimes.

*eats cookies in possible celebration

message 13: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Annie wrote: "Hahahaha, yeah, Miss Christina...I clearly need to do my research :P

Really appreciate the intel. Funny thing is that I totally wasn't even mad. I was just like, "Huh, how did it get there?" LOL

..."

LOL! Well Ken had already figured it out while I was researching, so he can have all the cookies. ;P

message 14: by Gippy (new)

Gippy Adams | 99 comments Ken wrote: "They have one of my books, too, distributed by Smashwords, according to the ISBN. Seems legit."

Hi everyone,

Someone saw my book on ebay. I don't even have an ebay account. And I discovered it is in Best Buy, both for more money than amazon or barnes and noble. Strange.

message 15: by Ben (new)

Ben Jackson | 86 comments A lot of people's books are on eBay. They buy them through Createspace etc. etc. and the resell them at a higher price. You will see sales come through as expanded distribution, normally a few copies at a time.

If you look through the sellers listing, they'll say that they are licensed resellers or something similar.

You get your royalties either way. If you have a big problem with it just list your own copies alongside theirs on eBay, but a few dollars cheaper!

message 16: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Gippy wrote: "Someone saw my book on ebay. I don't even have an ebay account. And I disc..."

If anyone wants to sell my paperbacks anywhere at all, I say go for it. Ultimately they all have to come from Lulu or Createspace, and I get the royalties.

Annie wrote: "And bake you a batch of cookies!!..."

I love cookies. Unfortunately, they're bad for my figure. Could I have a new car instead?

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 972 comments Ken, You have the sense of humor of Michael Caine. I always enjoy reading your posts! : D

message 18: by Annie (last edited Jun 14, 2016 11:35AM) (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 629 comments Justin wrote: "*eats cookies in possible celebration"

Heh. Is this a bad time to confess that I'm actually a terrible baker? We do have a freakin' incredible bakery here tho!! *scurries over to Duchess Bake Shop*

Ken wrote: "I love cookies. Unfortunately, they're bad for my figure. Could I have a new car instead?"

No. But you're welcome to drive one of mine. Until snow falls again. Then I call dibs on the SUV hahaha

Miss Christina: Good call, passing on the cookies. No chipped teeth fo you, ma'am! :P

EDIT: For reals, though, everyone. Thank you. Sincerely. *hugs*

message 19: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Sue (Dog Mom) wrote: "Ken, You have the sense of humor of Michael Caine. I always enjoy reading your posts! : D"

I've always liked Michael Caine, so maybe some of his humor rubbed off. (Just looked up his bio, and had no idea he was 83!) But the actor I actually wanted to be was Steve McQueen.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 972 comments "...the actor I actually wanted to be was Steve McQueen"

Ah, he also had a great racing career. You like fast cars? I just checked his official website and was surprised to learn he passed in 1980 at only age 50.

message 21: by Ken (last edited Jun 14, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) I think he died of asbestos poisoning. He worked with asbestos when he was in the military, I think. Yeah, I loved fast cars when I was younger, bought a new Camaro SS350 in 1970 (couldn't afford a Z28), but my favorite of all the cars I owned was a used 1965 Chevy Impala Super Sport; engine 396 c.i., 325 horsepower. It's the only car I ever drove over 100 mph on the freeway, and it wasted no time getting there. I used to race the Camaro at a dragstrip. If you want to see a great Steve McQueen movie with a couple of fast cars chasing down the highway, watch Bullitt. He plays a detective with a 1967 Mustang GT chasing bad guys driving a Dodge Charger. Realistic driving, and you can see McQueen doing his own stunt driving.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 972 comments Ken wrote: "If you want to see a great Steve McQueen movie with a couple of fast cars chasing down the highway, watch Bullitt..."

We own that movie on DVD and never get tired of watching it. Very impressive driving, indeed. We own a Dodge Charger that I tend to forget flies down the highway at 95 mph much too smoothly. Ooops!

message 23: by Ken (last edited Jun 14, 2016 02:58PM) (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Good for you. Unfortunately for me, after all those glory days, my ride is now a relatively old GMC pickup.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 972 comments My husband who used to race his 1973 restored Plymouth Satellite, regularly drives the charger. The Satellite now sits in our garage and requires restoration we can't afford. I drive a 10-year-old Jeep Grand Cherokee that is my first new vehicle ever. I opted for an SUV for the dogs.