The Grishaverse discussion

Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)
This topic is about Ruin and Rising
General Book Love > The Darkling's Symbol

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Caitlyn | 129 comments Here we discuss the Darkling's symbol ( an eclipse ) and what it could mean for him and his future.

Maryanne | 243 comments Hmmmm, how about something dark... Like something that represents his power of darkness...like have a mist with some other symbol....I'm thinking about which one it could be.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, it is dark, but there is that sliver of light. Maybe it is meant to show that he does have that chance at redemption?

Maryanne | 243 comments Elvina wrote: "Well, it is dark, but there is that sliver of light. Maybe it is meant to show that he does have that chance at redemption?"

Nice thinking there, I do believe that cold be one of the reasons. :D

Cari | 644 comments Do we know if it's an eclipsed sun or an eclipsed moon?

Or could it be either? In the "Demon in the woods" pinterest board it seems like there's a beautiful necklace of the moon if memory serves right. And I just wondered if his symbol has to do with another girl from another time.

Maryanne | 243 comments I don't know....

message 7: by Sofs (new) - rated it 1 star

Sofs It seems to be an eclipsed sun.

Abigayle | 148 comments I think the literal description was "two overlapping circles, the sun in eclipse."

Meida Morgenstern Lantsova | 221 comments if it is a sun, then it's like he has foretold the one who deserves the sun symbol... or he actually has been waiting for it

message 10: by WinterRose (last edited May 08, 2014 09:43PM) (new)

WinterRose | 843 comments I think it's very telling that he chose a symbol that incorporates the sun. He says he's been looking for Alina for a long time.

I think he chose a symbol that incorporated both the moon and sun (night and day), so that it could be shared/worn by both him and the sun summoner. If he wanted a symbol that was strictly representing him, he would have chosen the moon.

Meida Morgenstern Lantsova | 221 comments WinterRose wrote: "I think it's very telling that he chose a symbol that incorporates the sun. He says he's been looking for Alina for a long time.

I think he chose a symbol that incorporated both the moon and sun ..."

oh damn! I don't know why I found it romantic for the Darkling's standard

message 12: by Cari (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cari | 644 comments @Abigayle- Thanks!! I wasn't sure really and the moon i the "Demon" pinterest threw me off.

@WinterRose- Well, if he chose the Sun, it was definitely alluding to the Sun summoner. If there is a moon in there, I believe that must be alluding to someone other than himself. Just as his kefta is all black, and his room is pitch dark, he is darkness.

I think the light in that symbol points to something other to him.

I'm quite intrigued by the moon depicted in "Demon" and what it may mean.

message 13: by WinterRose (last edited May 08, 2014 11:21PM) (new)

WinterRose | 843 comments Alina does refer to it as "the sun in eclipse." So I think that means a solar eclipse.

On wiki it says "This can happen only at new moon, when the Sun and the Moon are in conjunction. In astronomy, new moon is the first phase of the Moon, when it lies closest to the Sun in the sky as seen from the Earth. More precisely, it is the instant when the Moon and the Sun have the same ecliptical longitude."

I think the moon is the closest reference to the Darkling in the sense that it's closely related to darkness and night. (Darkness doesn't have a symbol he could draw or use.) He could have chosen a symbol that only related to night: stars, moon, etc. But he deliberately chose something that incorporates both.

message 14: by Cari (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cari | 644 comments So his moon is the new moon, the dark moon. OK, I guess that makes sense. The description is really beautiful. I hope that at some point he and Alina reach that state. I don't know what cataclysm it will take for it to happen though.

message 15: by WinterRose (new)

WinterRose | 843 comments We need to ask Leigh why the Darkling chose that symbol for confirmation, lol. I'm curious what she'll say, if she'll answer.

message 16: by Cari (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cari | 644 comments Hehehe, she might give some hints. You'll have to phrase it cunningly. Make the Darkling proud ;)

I seriously want to read "Demon" before R&R. I also want to read "Little Knife."

Aaaaarghhhh.

message 17: by WinterRose (last edited May 08, 2014 11:33PM) (new)

WinterRose | 843 comments I'm probably going to jump to the end of the book and read it first, lol. I think it will be at the end. Also, I can't go into the book not knowing what happens to the Darkling. At least if he dies, I'll be prepared for it.

I'll just keep chanting "what is dead may never die" if he does and live in my cloud of denial.

Meida Morgenstern Lantsova | 221 comments WinterRose wrote: "I'm probably going to jump to the end of the book and read it first, lol. I think it will be at the end. Also, I can't go into the book not knowing what happens to the Darkling. At least if he dies..."

no no nooo the Darkling cannot diiieeee !!!!!

message 19: by Cari (last edited May 08, 2014 11:47PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cari | 644 comments WinterRose wrote: "I'm probably going to jump to the end of the book and read it first, lol. I think it will be at the end. Also, I can't go into the book not knowing what happens to the Darkling. At least if he dies..."

That mantra has to be the only good thing that came from the ironmen. (I'd drown them all.)

Yes, mantras are good. I'd thought exactly the same:

1. Darkness is forever.
2. He's the master at faking deaths.
3. Nothing in Ravka is what it seems.

I know I had a fourth one in my head but I can't find it.

Ok, you'll start by the end and I'll try to binge read in two days and pm you like an insane maniac and then start again to get the details. If he dies I don't even know... I'm going to need a support group.

Edit- It's almost midnight, I'm going to bed. See you tomorrow!

Meida Morgenstern Lantsova | 221 comments Cari wrote: "WinterRose wrote: "I'm probably going to jump to the end of the book and read it first, lol. I think it will be at the end. Also, I can't go into the book not knowing what happens to the Darkling. ..."

4. If he dies, ALina will be devastated, as we all will be.

5. There is no better war general. Since Alina will be the Saint and Nikolai, as otkazatsya (I wonder if I wrote it correctly), just doesn't fit among the Grisha Army

message 21: by Mirou (last edited May 09, 2014 12:56AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Mirou | 87 comments WinterRose wrote: "I'm probably going to jump to the end of the book and read it first, lol. I think it will be at the end. Also, I can't go into the book not knowing what happens to the Darkling. At least if he dies..."

I don't think it's good idea, If Leigh ou it at the end of the book, it may have some reason, otherwise she would have done a special book with the POV of the Darkling...

Meida Morgenstern Lantsova | 221 comments she already made it she said, but she is still pondering if she should release it or not. Oh dear, why does she even need to ponder about it? of course she should publish it

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

It'd be so strange to hear from his POV.

They depiction of his symbol has the sun behind the moon; what if that is supposed to show the control over the Sun Summoner that he had wanted?

Meida Morgenstern Lantsova | 221 comments strange but intriguing.

That could be what he means with the symbol. But then, it also raises another question, why does he want to control over the Sun Summoner? which indicates there was another Sun Summoner before Alina

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

He might want both sets of power?

Meida Morgenstern Lantsova | 221 comments yeah it makes sense too

message 27: by Sofs (new) - rated it 1 star

Sofs He doesn't say he has been looking for her. I'm not sure but I think he says something like "I have been waiting for you. You are my first signal of hope in a long time".

Elena (anele99) | 355 comments Andresa wrote: "He doesn't say he has been looking for her. I'm not sure but I think he says something like "I have been waiting for you. You are my first signal of hope in a long time"."
He actually says :
"“I’ve been waiting for you a long time, Alina,” he said. “You and I are going to change the world.”"

message 29: by Sofs (last edited May 09, 2014 05:29AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Sofs Yes and he also says
“I’ve spent my life searching for a way to make things right. You’re the first glimmer of hope I’ve had in a long time.”

message 30: by WinterRose (last edited May 09, 2014 10:20AM) (new)

WinterRose | 843 comments There was a post on Tumblr that features all the different S&B covers. Three of which feature a pendant/necklace. Alina is wearing one on one cover, and the other two feature the same pendant. It's gold with stag antlers and an eclipse in the middle.

What's interesting also is that the Demon in the Wood board features some gold pendants, too.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Huh. . . .

Interesting. . . .