Old Souls Book Club discussion

Have a question? Ask the group! > What do you tell your kids about violence in the world?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Saiisha (new)

Saiisha | 544 comments Mod
For example, the horrific massacre of 50 people in Florida yesterday? Or the tragic bombings in Brussels and Paris? Or the state of Syrian refugees? Or the butchering in Bangladesh? For some reason, I always think the world is evolving into the next level of sanity / consciousness / peace, and that pretty soon we might not need police and law and courts (only in my wishful idealistic world I suppose). And then something like this happens, and the world seems plunged again in hate and darkness. I know it's been an upward spiral for humankind when I think of where we were a few thousand years ago, and a few hundred years ago, and yet, it's crazy that there's still so much killing and hatred and ignorance in the world! Hard to make sense of it when I talk to my son about it - what do you tell your kids when something like this happens?

message 2: by Ian-Anthony (new)

Ian-Anthony Finnimore | 53 comments Mine is too young at the moment but I hope to be as honest as possible.

For them to not know that the danger is out there would be like not warning a native child about tigers - hopefully we can be the example to them, showing that this is not the way you behave if you wish to have a productive life in our world.

I often think that something must feed off of this negative energy & we must do our utmost to starve it :-)

message 3: by Saiisha (new)

Ian-Anthony wrote: "Mine is too young at the moment but I hope to be as honest as possible.

For them to not know that the danger is out there would be like not warning a native child about tigers - hopefully we can b..."

That's a good point Ian-Anthony - the need to starve this negative energy, rather than feed it (sometimes done unwittingly). But I like your suggestion about being the example to our children - that's the best way they learn!

message 4: by Ian-Anthony (last edited Jun 14, 2016 06:55AM) (new)

Ian-Anthony Finnimore | 53 comments Very true Robert - we must be careful however not to undersell the acts themselves.

I know 1st hand that the shock of violence makes it almost a 2 pronged attack. Whilst we enact Lenity & must promote it at all costs there still requires a level of self defence.

Understanding that aligators exist below the waterline allows for a nice but cautious drink lakeside.

message 5: by Ian-Anthony (last edited Jun 14, 2016 07:20AM) (new)

Ian-Anthony Finnimore | 53 comments Totally your choice Robert,

As a son of two hippies I had a hard culture shock coming up against racism, extremism & poverty.

A little more caution is not empowering fear.

Having also worked with mistreated animals I have a very primal understanding of violence - it is the potential in the simplest eyes to get whatever it is that you desire instantly.

That is still powerful against a calm & gentle soul.

Lenity here is giving the correct information & allowing someone to make an informed decision based on fact not faith.

Not disagreeing with you but violence is within nature as well as by human action.

message 6: by Saiisha (new)

Robert wrote: "I told my daughter as she was growing up that violence is ignorance. Ignorance of many other options to release, to obtain, or to express. I told her that people have been violent for centuries bec..."

That's a beautiful teaching Robert - to teach education over ignorance, to teach understanding over violence, and to teach grace and sympathy over hatred!

message 7: by Saiisha (new)

Ian-Anthony wrote: "Totally your choice Robert,

As a son of two hippies I had a hard culture shock coming up against racism, extremism & poverty.

A little more caution is not empowering fear.

Having also worked wi..."

You're right Ian-Anthony, that violence is within human nature, however the human (spiritual) journey is to overcome and ever evolve to transcend our violent darker nature - otherwise we'll remain animals. It will take time and patience and growth for humanity to get to that point, but let's hope that we all will! The more of us there are, adding to this conversation of grace, kindness and compassion, the stronger this positive energy gets, and then someday maybe we won't have to worry about feeding the negative energy :)

message 8: by Ian-Anthony (last edited Jun 14, 2016 08:30AM) (new)

Ian-Anthony Finnimore | 53 comments Very true Saiisha,

I would still be wary myself of only professing love & light to a child.

Nature is a powerful energy, to every positive action there must be negative. Birth/ death - light/shade ...

I think that to hate those committing violence would be the larger crime spiritually but just for me - a child standing in front of a bully thinking that they are going to be able to hug it out is dangerous.

For my own take on the universe it would be showing far more empathy & understanding to realise that - right now there are those that benefit from violence. Not spiritually but they can gain something from it in their own eyes.

I still need to know that the dog can bite. Once we have a rapport & a trust then we will get past the primal actions but you will not get that without work & it is still better to have cautious optimism rather than blind faith.

message 9: by Saiisha (new)

Ian-Anthony wrote: "Very true Saiisha,

I would still be wary myself of only professing love & light to a child.

Nature is a powerful energy, to every positive action there must be negative. Birth/ death - light/shad..."

You're right Ian-Anthony - it's the nature of a snake to bite, and so it's better to be wary of its nature, rather than to "hug it out" :)

But wisdom isn't born out of blind faith - wisdom comes through knowledge, learning, experience. I agree - we shouldn't teach our kids to be blindly faithful, but to go in with their eyes open - educate them, teach them, help them learn, understand and grow.

message 10: by Ian-Anthony (new)

Ian-Anthony Finnimore | 53 comments Exactly!