DC Public Library discussion

The Serpent King
This topic is about The Serpent King
Mock Printz > The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jennifer | 15 comments Alright ya'll, this is one of my favorite books of the year. Anybody else read this? I'm not sure if it's literary enough for the Printz, but it should be a Morris finalist.

Brief synopsis: Dill, Lydia and Travis live in the small town of Forrestville, Tennessee, which was named after the Klu Klux Klan founder. Each of them are misfits in their own way, but have a strong bond among themselves. Dill is the musically-inclined son of an imprisoned Pentecostal preacher. Travis is the gentle giant who works at a lumberyard and finds happiness in fantasy novels, and Lydia's vibrancy and gregariousness holds the group together.

At one point, I burst out crying on the Circulator when I was reading it. Somebody else please check it out and give us your thoughts about Printz quality!

Gayle (gayle_w) | 1 comments I loved it too, and I'd agree that it's not quite Printz worthy but still one of the best teen books I've read this year. The character development that happens with Dill, Travis, and Lydia was exceptional. They were so real - we all know people like this. I loved the setting too, but I am biased because I used to live in Tennessee and make trips to vintage stores in Nashville, just like Lydia did to find her new outfits. I loved how the author used real places in the book, and he did a great job conveying the feel of those small Tennessee towns. And tears - yep, definitely happened! I would challenge anyone to read this book without crying. I don't know if it's possible.