Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Fix links provided by 'Get a Copy' Button

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 20800 comments Each user can choose which "Get a copy links" they want on their book pages. Those can't be set per book or author.

Also, the link to Amazon.com will only work for editions that are available on Amazon. When you are on the page for the Kindle edition, the link to Amazon will work. When Amazon is selling the paperback, the Amazon link on the paperback will also work. The Amazon link on the ebook page will not work, as Amazon only sells ebooks in the form of Kindle editions with an ASIN, not an isbn13.
Same for the ebook edition. Get a copy links when you are on the ebook page, will only work for those sites that have the ebook edition with that isbn available.

Before I get into specifics, I have a question... can I combine #2 & #3? I'm guessing no. If not, that's ok.

All three editions are combined. If you mean merging ebook and Kindle edition into one ebook edition, that is not possible, as Kindle and ebook are treated as different edition.
The Kindle edition with ASIN is needed for links to any Amazon site; and the ebook edition with isbn13 is needed for those sites that have the ebook with the isbn13 listed.

message 2: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 20800 comments When B&N is using the 294 pseudo-isbn (sometimes they do, sometimes they use the regular ebook isbn13), a separate Nook edition is needed. I've added that edition, using the cover from your website since we can't use any info from booksellers (with the exception of Amazon). Nook edition: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...
Note: on that page, only the link to B&N will work.

The Kobo link is working for me. I don't know anything about the iTunes link.

Librarian's can't change the "Get a copy" links, or the code that is behind them. We can only make sure the correct editions of a book are in the Goodreads database.

message 3: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments They will only work IF the bookseller sells books using the ISBN10 / 13 provided, if it does not exist at the retail site it fails - how is GR to know prior to doing a search on the retail site that is available?

The BN edition with 2940046005653 is listed on your profile already

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

New editions should only be added if there are additional ISBN's that are not already listed.