The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > convince me to watch Preacher

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6098 comments I watched a little of the first Preacher but didn't get into it. Convince me otherwise. I'm familiar with the first trade comic and the writer, Garth Ennis.

message 2: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6715 comments Mod
No. More Preacher for me. None for you!

message 3: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6098 comments Is anybody watching it, lol?

message 4: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6715 comments Mod
I know people watching it. Not sure how popular it is.

message 5: by Darren (new)

Darren Tamahome wrote: "I watched a little of the first Preacher but didn't get into it. Convince me otherwise. I'm familiar with the first trade comic and the writer, Garth Ennis."

I thought the same during most of the pilot, but it got a lot better by the end of the episode.

message 6: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8160 comments The first two episodes were excellent, the third sort of ran in place.

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim | 477 comments Trike wrote: "The first two episodes were excellent, the third sort of ran in place."

Agreed. There was one little bit though that I can't wait to see where it goes.

message 8: by Darren (new)

Darren Trike wrote: "The first two episodes were excellent, the third sort of ran in place."

I think you didn't read the thread title.

message 9: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8160 comments You'd be wrong.

message 10: by Darren (new)

Darren Trike wrote: "You'd be wrong."

Then you read but didn't understand it?

message 11: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8160 comments Also wrong.

message 12: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6098 comments Don't make me settle this with my Jesus voice.

message 13: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8160 comments Tamahome wrote: "Don't make me settle this with my Jesus voice."

Dude, that's racist. Just because he's from Mexico doesn't mean you can make fun of how he speaks.

message 14: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments I watched the first episode, not having any familiarity with the comic, and I really liked it, Tulip's intro especially. Jesse is my type of man (for tv crushes lol) - dark, brooding, dangerous, and trying-but-failing to redeem himself, with an extremely sarcastic sense of humor.

It reminded me a bit of the recently deceased Constantine tv show (or maybe the movie, minus Keanu), which I also liked, but this is rougher and grittier - more cable than primetime - which seems to fit the story well.

I intend to watch more - but I've become a mostly-binge watcher so I'll probably wait until the season is over and watch them all.

But I don't care if you watch it or not. Those are just my impressions :)

message 15: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2775 comments I liked it. As with Michele, I don't care if you or anyone else watches it. Spend a few hours of your time if you think you might want to try it. If not or it's not your thing, fine. Move on.

message 16: by Kdawg91 (new)

Kdawg91 | 377 comments I hated the comic, but I dig the show. I know folks love Garth Ennis and I do not deny that the comic was good. The show to me, files off a bit of the rough edges of the comic and slows down and tells the story better.

The cast is great, the storytelling is slow, but picking up, I feel it will lead to something good.