The Blades of Acktar discussion

General > Martyn Hamish

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Micailah (new)

Micailah | 19 comments I wasn't quite sure where to put this so I thought I'd start a new discussion haha. So maybe I missed this somewhere but I don't remember Martyn's backstory ever coming up. How did he become a blade? Where are his parents? Could he possibly have any siblings who are or aren't ex-blades? Just wondering if anyone might have any ideas. :)

message 2: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Rodes (mybookcaseandi) | 235 comments Hmmmm, I don't think he has any siblings in the Blades. That probably would have been mentioned, but I'm having a blank out on his backstory. I don't know if it was completely told in the story. But these questions I MUST know!!! They will probably be told in Deliverer....*breathes heavily* I. Need. It. Now.

message 3: by Micailah (new)

Micailah | 19 comments Hannah wrote: "Hmmmm, I don't think he has any siblings in the Blades. That probably would have been mentioned, but I'm having a blank out on his backstory. I don't know if it was completely told in the story. Bu..."

IKR. I. Need. It. too.

message 4: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 171 comments YESSSSS.

message 5: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Mingerink | 161 comments No, not much of Martyn's backstory is revealed in the first three books, though there are a few hints at it in Defy.

Yes, the answers will be revealed in Deliver. Martyn gets his own POV and he isn't shy about telling me (in a very bitter tone) everything bad that has ever happened to him.

Feel free to keep speculating, because this is all I'm going to tell you. ;)

message 6: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Rodes (mybookcaseandi) | 235 comments Did we ship anyone with Martyn yet? I mean, I think we had Brandi for awhile for him, but then Jamie came along, and now Brandi and Jamie are a ship.

You know what would be cool! If Renna and Martyn were brother and sister. *glances around at everyone like it's the best speculation ever* Seriously, their hair color is really similar. And wouldn't that be so cute! Then Martyn would be Leith's brother-in-law. *grins*

Guys! Also, I recommended Dare to a friend, and she GOT IT! And better yet SHE LIKED ITTTTTT!!!! *squeals* Actually she said she LOVED it. *grins* She also read A Time to Die, and loved it too. *grins happily*

message 7: by Monica (new)

Monica Banschbach | 9 comments I felt so bad for Martyn in "Defy." Somebody needs to give that guy a hug. I volunteer as tribute!

message 8: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 171 comments So because Marthyn and Renna's hair color is SIMILAR, we're setting them up as siblings?? *shrugs* I'll take it.

message 9: by Claire (new)

Claire Banschbach | 58 comments @Tricia - Haha! Can't wait to hear more about him. :)

But as a general question about the Blades, since someone brought up family, are they all usually orphans? Like where does Respen find kids to train?

message 10: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Rodes (mybookcaseandi) | 235 comments @ Claire ~ I always thought it would be orphans, but Leith isn't....Hmmm, maybe he took them prisoner, and brainwashed them LIKE BUCKY!! *screams*

Alyssa wrote: "So because Marthyn and Renna's hair color is SIMILAR, we're setting them up as siblings?? *shrugs* I'll take it."

Well....It could happen. *looks up with puppy dog eyes* Anyway, wouldn't that be so cute! *wraps them in loving bubble wrap*

message 11: by Brie (new)

Brie Donning (briedonning) | 13 comments Wouldn't that make Martin the nephew of the previous king? Therefore the rightful successor?

message 12: by Hannah (last edited Jul 10, 2016 06:10PM) (new)

Hannah Rodes (mybookcaseandi) | 235 comments *blinks rapidly* Uh........I think so.....but <(view spoiler)

message 13: by Micailah (new)

Micailah | 19 comments whoa thanks Miss Tricia! I can't waittttttt to hear more from Martyn and wow you guys have come up with some great ideas! The sibling thing would be super cool. And no I don't think we do have a ship for Martyn yet. Hmmmmmm what about Shad's sister whos name I can't remember? Is she taken already I honestly can't remember (I was prob too busy fingerling over Leith lol)?

message 14: by Karis (new)

Karis | 78 comments Lydia is her name. Hmm... I don't think anyone's shipped her yet.

message 15: by Claire (new)

Claire Banschbach | 58 comments But Lydia likes that young lord right? Or they mention it in Dare at the birthday party.

message 16: by Karis (new)

Karis | 78 comments You're absolutely right! And I just wasted a couple minutes of my life trying to find his name in the book-Lord Creston. He's only mentioned once in the entire series. I just ran a word search for his name in each book.

So, I say, go ahead and ship Lydia if you want to. She can't be that attached to the elusive lord.

message 17: by Claire (new)

Claire Banschbach | 58 comments Cool! Just once? Poor guy. :P

I'm gonna be the downer of the group I guess. I just feel like shipping her with Martyn would be weird since she just turned sixteen and he's probably almost nineteen. He needs someone a little older. But whatever.

message 18: by Karis (last edited Jul 10, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

Karis | 78 comments Lol I understand completely. I'm not shipping anyone; I'm just supplying the facts. ;)

But, I don't think that it's totally a bad idea. My brother's 19 and he's dating a girl that's 16. Lydia acts rather mature for her age. She's had to go through the indirect loss of people that might not have been super close to her, but people that she was attached to and she's felt the affect of their deaths keenly.

I think it would be awkward to ship Martyn and Lydia together because it would seem super forced and they don't know/trust each other right now and relationships need time to grow.

message 19: by Claire (new)

Claire Banschbach | 58 comments And Shad probably wouldn't let them anywhere near each other. lol!

I'm not shipping him with anyone either. He has enough to figure out without adding a girl to the mix.

message 20: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Rodes (mybookcaseandi) | 235 comments Maybe Tricia will let him met a girl in the next book. Maybe a girl from Eagle Heights???

HE JUST NEEEDS A SHIP! He's to awesome not to have a ship. If I have to....If I have to ship him with another character from another book! Like maybe Jace's sister. There. I ship them...............Actually I don't, but I'm getting desperate here guys.

message 21: by Karis (new)

Karis | 78 comments Aww... That's a sweet picture but Martyn has a lot on his plate right now. He doesn't need a girl, just give him a few years of privacy away from crazy ship sailing fangirls and he'll do just fine. Wait I take that back, he also needs to start believing in God but I think Leith is going to be working on that part.

message 22: by Hannah (last edited Jul 10, 2016 08:12PM) (new)

Hannah Rodes (mybookcaseandi) | 235 comments A girl could be a witness to him. Right now he's still hurt by Leith. It will probably take someone else to get him to start believing in God now.

Anyway, I'm planning his wedding. He just needs a bride.

message 23: by Karis (new)

Karis | 78 comments True... Hmm, you don't give up easily do you? XD

message 24: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Rodes (mybookcaseandi) | 235 comments Nope! *grins* XD

message 25: by Karis (new)

Karis | 78 comments *grins back* Well, I hope Miss Mingerink is taking note of it. I'd hate to see you after your hopes are dashed if poor Martyn doesn't have his wedding.

message 26: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Rodes (mybookcaseandi) | 235 comments GUYS! What about Martyn and Esther!!!!!!

message 27: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Rodes (mybookcaseandi) | 235 comments or wait. Esther is older than Brandi right? *can't check because my friend is borrowing Dare*

message 28: by Claire (new)

Claire Banschbach | 58 comments *whispers* I don't remember who this person is....

message 29: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Rodes (mybookcaseandi) | 235 comments Esther Allistair. Shad's little sister.

message 30: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Mingerink | 161 comments @Hannah - Esther is Shad's littlest sister. She's six. So only about 13, almost 14 years between her and Martyn. Unless you want to wait 14 years for her to grow up...

I think you're probably thinking about Abigail. She's Brandi's age. You'd only have to wait about 5 years for her to grow up. ;)

message 31: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Rodes (mybookcaseandi) | 235 comments Yes, yes! I meant Abigail! *coughs* Esther might be a tad young......*hides under a pile of covers* Aww, but just think of Martyn taking a liking to Esther. As in like, liking like a little sister, not ship.That would be adorable.

message 32: by Micailah (new)

Micailah | 19 comments hahahah well I agree that Martyn needs to get things in order before he finds anyone but I also think Miss Tricia may have someone in mind... ;P 16 and 19 is a huge difference to us but if you think about it "back then" (if there is a back then in a fictional world) girls typically were married by 16 and usually to older men in their 20's unless I'm mistaken. Someone needs to come up with a "which blade is your match" quiz so that one of the fangirls can be shipped with him . XD JK.

message 33: by Hannah (last edited Jul 28, 2016 03:32PM) (new)

Hannah Rodes (mybookcaseandi) | 235 comments But a girl could HELP Martyn turn to the good side!!!!! SERIOUSLY, He most likely won't listen to Leith now! A girl would be perfect!!!! They don't have to be insta-love. They could be friends first! Maybe skip a little at the end of the book so we could see their wedding......AND I AM SURE MARTYN WOULD BE PERFECTLY AWKWARD WITH A GIRL HE LIKES!!!! Just think of how cute it would be!!!! (*whispers* I am now calling her MissX because I can't find a good enough temporary name that would go perfectly with Martyn.)

XD YAAAAS! A BLADE QUIZ!!! .......Except for the fact most of them are dead now........ *cries for them* *huggles them*

message 34: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Steele | 135 comments I love the better Martyn...but evil Martyn would be cool too...

message 35: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Rodes (mybookcaseandi) | 235 comments BUT MARTYN NEEEEDS TO BECOME GOOOOOOD!!!! *sobs* *huggles Martyn*

message 36: by Sarah Grace (new)

Sarah Grace Grzy (sarahgraceg) | 43 comments I absolutely cannot wait to hear more from\about Martyn!!! He is such a great character! I am so glad *spoiler alert* that he stood up to Respen in Defy. I was so worried he wasn't actually going to!

message 37: by Sarah Grace (new)

Sarah Grace Grzy (sarahgraceg) | 43 comments Hannah wrote: "Yes, yes! I meant Abigail! *coughs* Esther might be a tad young......*hides under a pile of covers* Aww, but just think of Martyn taking a liking to Esther. As in like, liking like a little sister,..."

Abigail and Martyn would be so cute! And I can just imagine Martyn being so cute with Esther, in a big brother sort of way. ;)

message 38: by Matie (new)

Matie | 42 comments OOOOO!!! That would be adorable!! Martyn is such a cinnamon roll!!

message 39: by Erika (new)

Erika Mathews (resterwen) | 1 comments I really loved Martyn in Dare and was so sad that he didn't go with Leith in Deny. I was so hoping he would ... it was sad to see all his wrong choices when he had so much potential in Dare. But it's realistic... people with potential do make wrong choices.