Reading with Style discussion

RwS (Summer 2014) > 20.5 - Financial Fiction

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz M (new)

Liz M 20.5 - Financial Fiction: " —Money . . . in a voice that rustled." (JR).
-Read a book mentioned in one of these financial fiction blurbs.

message 2: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2717 comments For this one, you have to click through to see the titles, is that right? It's not just any book by the authors on the linked page?

message 3: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Rosemary wrote: "For this one, you have to click through to see the titles, is that right? It's not just any book by the authors on the linked page?"

Correct.

message 4: by Ismaa (new)

Ismaa Khan | 173 comments Any suggestions on this? Any one?

message 5: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4362 comments I am reading A Dangerous Fortune by Ken Follett and I also plan to read Money by Émile Zola if I can fit it in.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11528 comments Money is very good, Karen, and you'll get the combo with 10.2 - you know how I like Zola. I've read only the older sanitized fit-for-Victorians translation. I plan to read Cesar Birotteau in my quest to read all of Balzac. (It's The Rise and Fall of ... on the list.)

But if you're not in to 19thC French literature, there are some lighter ones on the list including le Carre's The Spy Who Came In from the Cold and Grisham's The Runaway Jury. There are a few other titles that interest me, and I again could wish for a few 36-hour days this summer.

message 7: by Liz M (last edited Jun 08, 2014 06:24AM) (new)

Liz M Elizabeth might recommend The Way We Live Now (she's a fan of Trollope)
I liked Bright Lights, Big City; it's narrated in 2nd person (You enter the bar....) which is unusual and kind of fun.
The Runaway Jury is a decent mystery. I was fascinated at the depiction of the US court system/trials (which might be boring for non-US members) and liked the environmental focus.
Neuromancer is a favorite of mine. It started/defined the cyberpuck sub-genre. (and I see that Heather rated it 5-stars)

I am reading The Recognitions which is very long and supposedly gets extremely difficult about halfway through.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11528 comments That Trollope was my introduction to the author and started my quest to read more.

message 10: by Ismaa (new)

Ismaa Khan | 173 comments Thanks all this will be a big help.

As I don't have access to a Library, it means hitting the shops, old book shops, searching online stores, clandestine operations etc etc and etc. RwS is always a big adventure, but the plus point is I get to keep all the books I find :)

Thanks again darlings :)

message 11: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4362 comments I bought my copy of Zola's Money from abebooks.com for around $4 because my library didn't have it;)

message 12: by Liz M (last edited Jun 08, 2014 09:09AM) (new)

Liz M Ismaa, if online shopping is an option, Better World Books often has harder to find books (decommissioned library books) and they ship free any where in the world.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11528 comments Karen Michele wrote: "I bought my copy of Zola's Money from abebooks.com for around $4 because my library didn't have it;)"

I have the Delphi Classics complete Zola on my Kindle for $2.99, but they are the older, public domain translations, most by Vizatelly. There are new translations coming out. I'm not a re-reader, but I may decide to do so in a few years when I've finished the series (later this year).

message 14: by Ismaa (new)

Ismaa Khan | 173 comments Liz M wrote: "Ismaa, if online shopping is an option, Better World Books often has harder to find books (decommissioned library books) and they ship free any where in the world."

Thanks Liz will check them out :)

message 15: by Rebekah (last edited Jun 08, 2014 12:10PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4104 comments Ismaa wrote: "Thanks all this will be a big help.

As I don't have access to a Library, it means hitting the shops, old book shops, searching online stores, clandestine operations etc etc and etc. RwS is always..."

I really miss libraries when we live on ex-pat status. Here we have a tiny one on our compound which is really a book exchange, so you only get the books people donate because they don't want to take them when they pack out for home.
In Delhi we were very fortunate at the American Embassy School there. Since my kids were in school, I was able to use the library. They had an adult section for parents as well as the YA. I would volunteer a lot just so I could keep my eye on the new books that we're coming in.
Now what I can't find in our little book exchange I download on kindle or get audio books. I was frustrated last challenge because I really wanted to read the Left hand of Darkness, but couldn't get it as a kindle or audio book.

message 16: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4104 comments Liz M wrote: "Ismaa, if online shopping is an option, Better World Books often has harder to find books (decommissioned library books) and they ship free any where in the world."

Wow good idea!
You can also go to bookcrossing.com . I exchanged some books while in India that way too.