What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YAish book about a boy and mining/tunneling

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Treyvoni (new)

Treyvoni | 1 comments Alright, I probably read this book in the late 90s to early to mid 2000s.

The story started out with a boy (pre-teen to early teen) who had to go live with a male relative (believe it is his uncle, but it could be an estranged dad) after the illness or death of his mom who was raising him. His male relative worked as a mechanic on a tunnel boring machine for a mining/excavating/tunneling type company. It is largely an adjustment/coming of age story.

Pretty much the climax of the novel was when the kid realized he left the toolset at the 'head' or drilling part of the tunnel borer, and climbed back inside and then infront of the machine to retrieve it. The crew didn't realize and they started up the machine, which engaged the spinning teeth to press against the rocks. luckily it's a slow machine and the kid was saved when either the machine caught his shirt or it tore off shirt and it ended up on the conveyor belt of debris. His uncle or father noticed and cut the power, the kid only had mild injuries and the tools were undamaged. Hospital and bonding time ensued.

For the life of me I cannot remember the name of this.

Random info: It takes place in America, relatively modern setting (within the last 40 years or so), and I presume the main characters are white because I only remember one of the crew of the miners (and one who gives the boy helpful advice about how to settle in) being mentioned as Black.

I hope that's enough to go on and thanks in advance for the help!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38242 comments Mod
Treyvoni, are you still looking for this or did you find it?