The Book Was Better discussion

GENERAL > Rare experience: both BOOK & MOVIE were GREAT

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dale (new)

Dale | 14 comments So here's a question I didn't see posted, and as a book lover I'm quite terrified when some of my favorite books are turned into movies. However, there have been movies made based on books that, for whatever reason (they may have changed them slightly or chose an actor utterly different than the character is described) that are classics in their own right and incredible movies - the book and movie BOTH stand on their own as excellent works.

Here's my list, please feel free to comment, add, etc (PS, no particular order, as you'll see in the first 3 - just together because same author):

1. Stand by Me ("The Body" by Stephen King)
2. The Shawshank Redemption ("Rita Hayworth & the Shawshank Redemption" by Stephen King)
3. The Shining ("", by Stephen King)
4. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest ("", by Ken Kesey)
5. Rain ("", short story by W. Somerset Maugham)
6. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - ORIGINAL ONLY! ("Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", Roald Dahl)
7. Wild ("", Cheryl Strayed)

... to be added to when I think of more - although it's difficult!

message 2: by Sail ♛ (new)

Sail ♛ A Wicked Reader (sailordowden) Fight Club (by Chuck Palahniuk)!!!
To Kill a Mockingbird (by Harper Lee)
In the Heart of the Sea (by Nathaniel Philbrick) (although personally, I thought the movie was better..)
Harry Potter series! (by J.K. Rowling)
I know that the Harry Potter movies left quite a bit of stuff out, I thought they were spectacular!

message 3: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 3 comments I know someone recently placed this one in 'movie better than the book' category, but I loved both movie and book The Help. Also The book Thief, Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows.

message 4: by Nenda (new)

Nenda | 2 comments I like The Martian and Harry Potter series

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (echris8) | 6 comments The Book Theif

message 6: by meltem (new)

meltem | 6 comments Harry Potter book series is my favorite and i think movies are amazing too.

message 7: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (lekellyy) | 5 comments I would say;

1. Hunger games movies: definitely did not ruin the books for me.
2. the last song by Nicholas Sparks: Liam hemsworth and Miley Cyrus were a great pair together, which brought the book to life.
3. Safe haven by Nicholas Sparks: also a great book/movie pair.

For some reason I couldn't think of any other ones. Can't wait to see what other movie adaptation and books people thought were both great! :)

message 8: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Timeline and Jurassic Park were both very good as book and movie. The LOTR trilogy was excellent, although the Hobbit book is still better than the excessive 3 movies.

message 9: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 34 comments Not sure if many will agree but I personally loved The Prestige. Was put onto the existence of the book by the excellent film and was not sorry I picked up. It differs enough from the film to make it a unique reading experience in itself.

message 10: by Louise (new)

Louise Van Der Vyver | 5 comments Fight club!
(My dad made me watch that movie when I was 11)
Willy Wonka
(So good)
I haven't watched The Godfather but apparently it's one of the best movies and it was based of a book.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

The Godfather is so good!

message 12: by Christa (new)

Christa Woolfie wrote: "Not sure if many will agree but I personally loved The Prestige. Was put onto the existence of the book by the excellent film and was not sorry I picked up. It differs enough from the..."

I completely agree! The Prestige book and movie are both wonderful!

message 13: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 34 comments Christa wrote: "Woolfie wrote: "Not sure if many will agree but I personally loved The Prestige. Was put onto the existence of the book by the excellent film and was not sorry I picked up. It differs..."

I think the same can be said for Kingsman: The Secret Service and Watchmen
I personally thought the former was the best film of last year and the latter is a poem put to film.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments The Green Mile by Stephen King.

I think that's the only SK book-to-movie that I was 100% satisfied.

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Brown | 2 comments Loved Shawshank Redemption!
The Lord of The Rings, loved the book and the movies. Few elements weren't included in the movie which I personally thought was fine. Same said of the Hunger Games series. Absolutely loved books and movies.

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Brown | 2 comments Woolfie wrote: "Christa wrote: "Woolfie wrote: "Not sure if many will agree but I personally loved The Prestige. Was put onto the existence of the book by the excellent film and was not sorry I picke..."

Woolfie wrote: "Christa wrote: "Woolfie wrote: "Not sure if many will agree but I personally loved The Prestige. Was put onto the existence of the book by the excellent film and was not sorry I picke..."

Wow, I didn't know Watchman was from a poem.

message 17: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 34 comments Oops my bad no, Watchmen is a graphic novel. I meant that the film is shot in a way that it played out like a poem in that nearly every scene is beautiful.

message 18: by Kasia (new)

Kasia | 28 comments I would say definitely the Harry Potter series by J.K.Rowling and also Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, I loved the book and the movie was amazing and I think that Keira Knightley could show Elizabeth's character very well through her acting, I loved it.

message 19: by Hooman (new)

Hooman (hsolti) | 3 comments perks of being a wallflower
the fault in our stars

message 20: by koket (new)

koket (kg0982543k12shorelineschoolsorg) I think the Maze Runners series was good both movie and book

message 21: by Suzan (new)

Suzan Spitzberg | 8 comments Cate (The Professional Fangirl) wrote: "The Green Mile by Stephen King.

I think that's the only SK book-to-movie that I was 100% satisfied."

I agree!

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments The Jane Eyre TV adaptation with Ruth Wilson. OMG, such a beautiful experience.

message 23: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) | 34 comments Cate (The Professional Fangirl) wrote: "The Jane Eyre TV adaptation with Ruth Wilson. OMG, such a beautiful experience."

Not watched that one, but I loved the one with Timothy Dalton much more than the recent adaptation with Mia Wasikowska. My intro to Ruth was in the excellent Luther which is definitely worth watching!

message 24: by Emma (new)

Emma Kaye | 4 comments I think they did a great job with the Harry Potter movies. They missed a couple details, but overall I think the movies and books were great.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments I watched probably 4-5 Jane Eyre adaptations, maybe more. But that's my favorite one ever. The one with Fassbender is good too but it's more eye-candy lol.

message 26: by Frances (new)

Frances Richardson | 14 comments The Russia House, with Sean Connery, is, to my mind, an excellent adaptation of a John Le Carre novel. So, too, is Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy -- the original made-for-TV series with Alec Guinness, not the film version.

message 27: by aBookofThrones (new)

aBookofThrones (book_fandomz) | 2 comments I think that Game of Thrones is a great book and TV show. HBO stayed so true to the plot which made the show amazing. I personally love when any of the book to movie or book to TV adaptations stay true to the book. It just makes watching it even more enjoyable.

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Bemus | 1 comments Lovely Bones! Both have a very personal and exciting read and watch.

message 29: by tan (new)

tan fern The Harry Potter books are equally as amazing as the films.

message 30: by Aidan (new)

Aidan Reid (aidanjreid) | 1 comments I know I'll probably be shot down for this one!...but I AM LEGEND. The book was excellent. I thought they did a pretty decent job capturing the loneliness of the last man on Earth in the movie too. Plenty of tender moments and it strays away from the book quite a bit, but a good popcorn movie.

message 31: by Briana Jade (new)

Briana Jade (briana_jade) Even though the Harry Potter movies left out some stuff they were still amazing from book to movie. Also The Hunger Games and Twilight were almost exactly the same as in the books.

message 32: by Stacey (last edited Jun 22, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Stacey Lazares | 4 comments I have to agree with The Godfather being an excellent Book to Screen experience! Also very pleased with the first Hunger Games book/movie - haven't watched the others yet.

As for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Loved the book - Loved the Gene Wilder version even though it was not straight from the pages and Loved the Burton one because of the parts that were straight from the pages.

message 33: by Leah (new)

Leah | 4 comments My top book to movie adaptions would have to be
1. Perks of Being a Wallflower
2. The Book Thief
3. Harry Potter

message 34: by Electric (new)

Electric Bubbles (electricbubbles) | 21 comments The Book Thief and the Princess Bride would be my top picks.

message 35: by Meg (new)

Meg | 2 comments -The Godfather
-The Princess Bride
-The Book Thief( despite discrepancies)

message 36: by Isabela (last edited Jun 30, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Isabela Oliveira (isabelaolivie) | 4 comments 1 - The Green Mile
2 - The girl with the dragon tattoo
3 - Coraline
4 - The Spiderwick Chronicles
5 - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
6 - A Walk to Remember
7 - Shutter Island
8 - Gone Girl
9 - Fight Club
10 - Marley and me
11 - Carrie
12 - Jurassic Park

message 37: by Dale (last edited Jul 01, 2016 07:07AM) (new)

Dale | 14 comments Yay! I love that people have commented on this - so, an update for my original list after reading yours...

Sailor - To Kill A Mockingbird
Jenn, Elizabeth, Meg - The Book Thief - Oh.My.Amazing.
Jenn, etc - The Help
Isabela - Charlie & The Chocolate Factory (ONLY the original movie; I refuse to see the remake), and Carrie

My own addition I'd forgotten: American Psycho (Bret Easton Ellis)

And many of you have convinced me to read "The Prestige" - I've seen and liked the movie but wasn't aware it was a book. Now on my list. Thanks!

message 38: by Dale (new)

Dale | 14 comments Kadie wrote: "I would say definitely the Harry Potter series by J.K.Rowling and also Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, I loved the book and the movie was amazing and I think that Keira Knightley could show Eli..."

Kadie - have you ever seen the BBC "Pride and Prejudice" with Colin Firth? It's long, maybe 4 hours (2 CDs) but although I did like the Keira Knightley movie, you MUST see this one if you're a fan of Austen and the book - it's AMAZING!

message 39: by Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (last edited Jul 06, 2016 10:27AM) (new)

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments ^ The one with Jennifer Ehle? That's my fave P&P adaptation!

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day! :)

message 40: by Sylvania (new)

Sylvania (sunflowerofthewinter) For This it would be The Harry Potter series and A Time To Kill.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

The only directors who have succeeded in makeing a book into a movie r the ones who directed Harry Potter. Sure they left some stuff out and added something in 6 that was never there, but so far theyre the best books into movies ive seen.

message 42: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 7 comments I would definitely agree on Harry Potter, particularly the early films.

It's not a classic but despite my trepidation I went to see Me Before You at the cinema and thought it was brilliant.

Also, what about War Horse?

•• ana •• (dreammetheworld) I think that the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling has amazing movies, they missed a few things but they're forgivable (nothing to do with the fact that they're my favorite movies ever of course

message 44: by Ally (new)

Ally | 1 comments Into the wild was actually a really well made movie and I quite enjoyed it.

message 45: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 4 comments No Country for Old Men is astoundingly good as both a movie and a book.

message 46: by Gulsen (new)

Gulsen (rose-garden) | 6 comments The Book Thief

message 47: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Schlichting (barbschlichting) The Book Thief

message 48: by Teagan (new)

Teagan | 7 comments Howl's Moving Castle, even though the storyline in the movie deviates significantly from that in the book. I enjoy each separately, for the movie is very different but undeniably wonderful while the book is just fabulous.
I think the only thing that stays the same across both is the location names.

Also:
The Great Gatsby (With Leo Dicaprio)

message 49: by Sail ♛ (new)

Sail ♛ A Wicked Reader (sailordowden) Teagan wrote: "Howl's Moving Castle, even though the storyline in the movie deviates significantly from that in the book. I enjoy each separately, for the movie is very different but undeniably wonderful while th..."

Totally agree about The Great Gatsby!

message 50: by Christa (last edited Aug 23, 2016 06:27AM) (new)

Christa Woolfie wrote: "Christa wrote: "Woolfie wrote: "Not sure if many will agree but I personally loved The Prestige. Was put onto the existence of the book by the excellent film and was not sorry I picke..."

Oh man, the Kingsman: Secret Service was my favorite movie of last year, hands down!

« previous 1