Classical Obsessions discussion

Historical movies/series

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What is your favourite period drama? Can you recommend any good movies that anyone should watch?

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments My favorite period drama is the 2008 BBC adaptation of "Sense and Sensibility," with Hattie Morahan as Elinor and Dan Stevens as Edward. It's so beautifully crafted and acted and filmed and EVERYTHING. I think everyone should watch it--although, in case y'all don't know this, the first scene is a little Inappropriate and can be skipped. (There's nothing at all inappropriate in the rest of the film though.)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica wrote: "My favorite period drama is the 2008 BBC adaptation of "Sense and Sensibility," with Hattie Morahan as Elinor and Dan Stevens as Edward. It's so beautifully crafted and acted and filmed and EVERYTH..."

I've planned to watch it, but I really like the '95 version so far :-)
Also, I'm currently watching Wives and Daughters, and Tom Hollander has spoiled it already. He's the Mr Collins (in the 2005 version), and I can never see him as anyone else.

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments Felicity wrote: "Jessica wrote: "My favorite period drama is the 2008 BBC adaptation of "Sense and Sensibility," with Hattie Morahan as Elinor and Dan Stevens as Edward. It's so beautifully crafted and acted and fi..."

The '95 movie is really good, too! But the '08 version is my personal favorite. (I really, really, REALLY love Marianne and Brandon in the 08 movie--Charity Wakefield and David Morrissey. They're one of the best couples ever.)

Have you seen the 2009 version of Emma? That's another great period drama.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica wrote: "Have you seen the 2009 version of Emma? That's another great period drama.

I love it! It's absolutely one of my favourites :-D Romola Garai is a great Emma and mr Elton is as disgusting as in the book.
Other great favourites of mine are The Young Victoria, Downton Abbey and Anne of Green Gables. But really there are so many great period dramas out there, yet to be watched!

message 6: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments Felicity wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Have you seen the 2009 version of Emma? That's another great period drama.

I love it! It's absolutely one of my favourites :-D Romola Garai is a great Emma and mr Elton is as disgu..."

Have you seen Belle 2013 yet? I haven't, but I'd really love to! I've heard it's amazing.

I also really love "Amazing Grace," that movie about William Wilberforce. SO GOOD. (And Romola Garai is in it, too!)

message 7: by Elline Pelline (new)

Elline Pelline | 46 comments Mod
Cranford!!! Love the cute, old ladies in that series :) Tess of the d'Urbervilles from 1995(?) is also a winner. Have anyone seen the Norwegian movie (ofc not) Kamilla & Tyven, Kamilla and the thief? It's a cute story that sets place in the early 1900s, reminds me a bit of Anne of Green Gables.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Miss Elaine Carringtion wrote: "Cranford!!! Love the cute, old ladies in that series :) Tess of the d'Urbervilles from 1995(?) is also a winner. Have anyone seen the Norwegian movie (ofc not) Kamilla & Tyven, Kamilla and the thie..."

I've only watched Cranford for about 40 minutes, so I haven't formed my opinion of it yet. But oh, I totally forgot about Kamilla and the Thief!! I love it so much! How could anyone not love it...

message 9: by Bookworm (new)

Bookworm | 10 comments I love BBC's 2009 version of Emma. <3 the Gweneth Paltro version is also good. And the older version of Persuasion!

message 10: by Elli the Elf (new)

Elli the Elf (ellitheelf) | 9 comments Miss Elaine Carringtion wrote: "Cranford!!! Love the cute, old ladies in that series :) Tess of the d'Urbervilles from 1995(?) is also a winner. Have anyone seen the Norwegian movie (ofc not) Kamilla & Tyven, Kamilla and the thie..."

My mother is actually in the "kamilla og tyven" movie, its an insignificantly small role (she is on screen for about a second), but its still kinda cool, i can remember if i have every actually seen the entire thing, I believe one of my siblings thought it was too scary (i think she was 2 or 3) and for some reason we never tried again. Maybe I should try and watch it some time soon.

message 11: by Elsabet (new)

Elsabet Jessica wrote: "Felicity wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Have you seen the 2009 version of Emma? That's another great period drama.

I love it! It's absolutely one of my favourites :-D Romola Garai is a great Emma and mr ..."

I LOVE "Amazing Grace." It's probably my fourth favorite movie. My favorite series is actually "Little Dorrit," and of all the period dramas I've watched (and I've seen quite a few) it is the closest to the book. (Except for Mr. Pancks appearance. In the book he has spikey hair, in the series he's bald.) Matthew Macfayden, who played Darcy in P&P05, plays Arthur in this series, and in my opinion he is a much better Arthur than Darcy.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica wrote: "Felicity wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Have you seen the 2009 version of Emma? That's another great period drama.

I love it! It's absolutely one of my favourites :-D Romola Garai is a great Emma and mr ..."

I've seen Belle 2013 twice (just swooning over the costumes) and also Amazing Grace! Two marvelous movies, and both are based on true events as well!! ^^

message 13: by Abby (new)

Abby Felicity wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Felicity wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Have you seen the 2009 version of Emma? That's another great period drama.

I love it! It's absolutely one of my favourites :-D Romola Garai is a gr..."

I did a review on Amazing Grace on my blog. Here's a link if you like :)
http://violetcottage.blogspot.com/201...

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Abby, I remember reading your review of Amazing Grace when I had seen the movie. It was really good! :-)

message 15: by Gwyn (new)

Gwyn May | 9 comments Jessica wrote: "My favorite period drama is the 2008 BBC adaptation of "Sense and Sensibility," with Hattie Morahan as Elinor and Dan Stevens as Edward. It's so beautifully crafted and acted and filmed and EVERYTH..."

:O Yay! That one's my favourite of the two S&S's too! It's so stunning and sweeping and BEAUTIFUL I adore it <3 {the only thing I find that the '95 version trumps it on is Willoughby}

message 16: by Gwyn (new)

Gwyn May | 9 comments Ohh, there are so many wonderful ones! My very favourite would have to be the BBC Pride and Prejudice, 1995. Also Sense and Sensibility 2008, Emma 2009, and Wives and Daughters :D

message 17: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments Gwyn wrote: "Jessica wrote: "My favorite period drama is the 2008 BBC adaptation of "Sense and Sensibility," with Hattie Morahan as Elinor and Dan Stevens as Edward. It's so beautifully crafted and acted and fi..."

"Sweeping"--that's the word. It's just gorgeous. I love it.

(I even love the '08 version of Willoughby, to be honest. I didn't LIKE him for himself, but I thought he was a good, realistic portrayal of the character.)

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I sure love this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOIHO... movie!!

message 19: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments Felicity wrote: "I sure love this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOIHO... movie!!"

That looks cute! What's it about?

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica wrote: "Felicity wrote: "I sure love this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOIHO... movie!!"

That looks cute! What's it about?"

It's based on Kari Vinje's childrens books, and sets around 1913.
It's about a girl who befriends a thief. Oh I'm so bad at explaining!
Here's a link to wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamilla...

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 5 comments Testament of Youth is a new favorite of mine and is really lovely and sad. I also love Ballet Shoes. It's absolutely lovely and perfect. I'm currently watching When Calls the Heart, which is a little bit cheesy because it's Hallmark, but it's based off of Jannette Oke's books and I'm very attached to the characters. The 95 P&P of course and I love both versions of S&S! And maybe this doesn't count but Nanny McPhee is wonderful.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Rachel Ester wrote: "Testament of Youth is a new favorite of mine and is really lovely and sad. I also love Ballet Shoes. It's absolutely lovely and perfect. I'm currently watching When Calls the Heart, which is a litt..."

I've been longing to watch Testament of Youth for SO long!!

message 23: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments Felicity wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Felicity wrote: "I sure love this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOIHO... movie!!"

It's based on Kari Vinje's childrens books, and sets arou..."

That sounds like fun! Sort of Anne-of-Green-Gables mixed with Pippi-Longstocking, I guess?

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica wrote: "Felicity wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Felicity wrote: "I sure love this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOIHO... movie!!"

It's based on Kari Vinje's childrens boo..."

Well, umm, sort of. Kamilla is an orphan with one sister, but still, it's not only a childrens-movie. I watched it for the first time when I was 7 or 8 and I've loved it ever since!

message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna | 52 comments Felicity wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Felicity wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Felicity wrote: "I sure love this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOIHO... movie!!"

It's based on Kari Vinje..."

Sounds cool! :-)

message 26: by Gwyn (new)

Gwyn May | 9 comments Gwyn wrote: "Ohh, there are so many wonderful ones! My very favourite would have to be the BBC Pride and Prejudice, 1995. Also Sense and Sensibility 2008, Emma 2009, and Wives and Daughters :D"

OH, and Miss Potter. How could I forget it? I've watched it so many times and I just love it to bits - it may even be my very favourite!

message 27: by Gwyn (new)

Gwyn May | 9 comments Jessica wrote: "Gwyn wrote: "Jessica wrote: "My favorite period drama is the 2008 BBC adaptation of "Sense and Sensibility," with Hattie Morahan as Elinor and Dan Stevens as Edward. It's so beautifully crafted and..."

I do think he did a good job, and he's certainly grown on me! - Willoughby, that is. {by growing on me I mean his portrayal of the character, NOT the character ;)}

message 28: by Έλλη (new)

Έλλη (ellietolia) | 10 comments I really love P&P 2005 (my favourite movie EVER!) and 1995, both the Sense and Sensibility adaptations and I truly love North and South and every adaptation of Jane Eyre! Wives And Daughters, War and Peace, Little Dorrit, Vanity Fair etc the list is endless!!! Almost every other Jane Austen adaptation though Emma will forever be Kate Beckinsale's Emma and none other! I don't like the other Emma adaptations very much!

Also, Ivory's 'A Room with A View' and 'Howards End'. Unfortunately, I can't find many movies by him online or anywhere else! :(

message 29: by Bethany (new)

Bethany (bethanycathrynrose) The 2005 Pride and Prejudice, the 1986 Northanger Abbey, and Miss Potter :)