The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Death of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #6)
This topic is about Death of Kings
Saxon Stories > DoK: Part 4: Death in Winter - Chapters 11-13 (Full Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
Section 4

Discuss chapters 11-13 and the book as a whole.

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling things for your good read friends.

Please do not discuss events from later books. Referring back to events from a previous section/book is fine.

Suzanne | 1582 comments So, when did you all see the treachery coming? I think I started suspecting things as soon as the Kentish king asked the favor of being the rear guard.

Another good ending - the odds weren't quite as overwhelming as the last book, but what I like is that although each of these books ends with a big battle, they don't all feel like the same battle rehashed.

message 3: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
The horse thing is when I got suspicious.

I was starting to wonder how he'd wrap it up, and turns out he just hit pause. Lots left unresolves for the next book.

I was worried he was going to kill off Finnan or Osberth near the end there.

I was also starting to wonder why the title was Death of Kings, plural. Then bam. Lots of dead kings near the end.

Overall a good book, but I'm eager for the next one already.

Ctgt | 629 comments At this point I expect treachery from everyone so I wasn't too surprised. In the past it seemed as though Uhtred was always out thinking his opponents so it was interesting to see him a bit confused about their tactics. I think I enjoyed this one more for that reason.

message 5: by Kat (last edited Jun 15, 2017 04:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat | 1175 comments As soon as the Centish turned up with warriors on foot I thought something was off, because I remembered them selling horses to Frankia.

When they let them replace the garrison in Lundene, I was sure that Lundene would be lost before the end of the book.

Alas, it was not, but Rob is right in saying he hit the pause button - so much left open-ended.

However, it took me almost forever to finish this book. Partly because I grew a bit tired of Alfred's antics (thank God he finally kicked the bucket), and partly because I read other things.

However, I have the next one in my bag to start tomorrow, so hopefully I will catch up before the group reads the next one after!

Suzanne | 1582 comments Hooray for finishing! You are right - Alfred gets SO irritating.