Death of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #6)
This topic is about Death of Kings
Saxon Stories > DoK: Part 2: Death of a King - Chapters 6-8

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
Section 2

Please keep all discussion and speculation to the events of Chapters 6-8.

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling things for your good read friends.

Please do not discuss events from later sections/books. Referring back to events from a previous section/book is fine.

Suzanne | 1582 comments In this section I started getting VERY frustrated that Uthred is still with the Saxons. He really belongs with the Danes in my opinion, although that would make a more boring story I suppose. The Saxons have just been so unappreciate,disrespectiful, and unrewarding.

I also liked what he said about Alfred's daughter (I'm not going to even try to spell her name) - how she was probably the best friend he'd ever met - and that they thought a lot alike. AND - we were right about them hooking up last book!

Suzanne | 1582 comments Cuthbert is becoming one of my new favorite characters. His "Saint Cuthbert the ____ " names are great - and I love his description of angels.

Ctgt | 629 comments Loved the discussion between Alfred and Uhtred right before Alfred dies.
"He wore a crown of thorns," he said in a tone of wonderment. "Men want to be king," he went on, "but every crown has thorns."

Then later Alfred the master plotter gives Fagranforda to Uhtred and says "I give the land freely but you know what I want".

Suzanne | 1582 comments Yes - I was so mad at Alfred, but I thought that his death helped reconcile me a little. Especially since Uhtred's own feelings about Alfred are so conflicted.

And ack - I think my message 2 comment belongs in Part 3 - the curse of listening vs. reading. Sorry! but I don't think it's really a spoiler, thank goodness.

Ctgt | 629 comments Alfred certainly seems to say or do the right thing at the right time to push Uhtred where he wants him.

Suzanne | 1582 comments Argh yeah, and Uhtred seems to be buying into a Saxon England - before he didn't want one and/or didn't care.

Suzanne | 1582 comments (Although a lot of what he said may just have been because he was talking to a man on his deathbed.)

Ctgt | 629 comments Many times I despised Alfred but his relationship with Uhtred certainly made for some entertaining scenes.

message 10: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (last edited Jun 26, 2016 03:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I hated Alfred for much of this series for how he treats not only Uthred, but his daughter. I know it was common for women to be married off to assholes, but shes still his daughter.

Maybe thats just me applying modern sensibilities to another time though. Despicible or not, what he did probably wasnt out of character for most men at that time.

I thought the death was done well. Alfred finally rewards Uthred, but of course he gets what he wants. He know Uthred too well. By giving it free of obligation instead of demanding obediance, Uthred feels obligated to do it anyway.

I'll miss hating Alfred. I can hate his wife and priests stiil, but it wont be the same. I just hope Edward doesnt become too like his father.

message 11: by Ctgt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ctgt | 629 comments I think you nailed it Rob. I think most of us feel the same way as you but it was the norm for the setting and time frame. I think it goes back to our posts from part one about religion, it's seems Cornwell may be pointing out that just because it is the current accepted practice doesn't make it right(current times included).

message 12: by Kat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat | 1175 comments I liked the description of Cuthbert: "a silver cross around his neck, one of the handles was missing". That would totally be me if I was a priest. Of course I would be a short and fat little priest, but my cross would definitely have a handle missing.

I wonder what Asser is up to. Also high time we hear about Ragnar again!

Suzanne | 1582 comments I really like Ragnar - I agree it is always good to see him appear. I never picked up on Cuthburt's cross description - how fitting!

message 14: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

What is a cross handle?

Suzanne | 1582 comments I imagine it as one of the horizontal 'arms'.

message 16: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh.

message 17: by Kat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat | 1175 comments I just hope Edward doesn't develop into a flakey idiot under the influence of his mother and father-in-law and the church.

I always saw him as weak as a child, but he really exonerated himself in my eyes at Baemfloet in the last book. I thought "He'll make a great king yet!"

But now he wants to pray at the Danes....? What...? I hope he'll come round once they do attack him, and fights back.