UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

45 views
Agony Aunt > Anyone heard of quotesrain?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3138 comments Had an email today inviting me to join this. Any thoughts?


Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Got a link?


message 3: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments http://www.quotesrain.com/

From a quick glance it looks like the sort of place Authors put up their books for readers to ignore it.

The question you have to ask about these sites is why go there, rather than straight to Amazon, or wherever you get your books from?


message 4: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments A very good point. I look for books on Amazon because that's where I get them from. And I look for them there when they're recommended here, or on other/facebook book groups or BookHippo.


message 5: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3138 comments David wrote: "http://www.quotesrain.com/

From a quick glance it looks like the sort of place Authors put up their books for readers to ignore it.

The question you have to ask about these sites is why go there,..."

There's a lot of it about!


message 6: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3138 comments If one of these sites could demonstrate a real, guaranteed, audience of potential readers, then I think they would be killed in the rush of willing authors.


message 7: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments Philip wrote: "If one of these sites could demonstrate a real, guaranteed, audience of potential readers, then I think they would be killed in the rush of willing authors."

Very true.

But you know what authors are like, they'd probably frighten the readers away again.


message 8: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments Kath wrote: "A very good point. I look for books on Amazon because that's where I get them from. And I look for them there when they're recommended here, or on other/facebook book groups or BookHippo."

Yes. That's what most folks do, I think.

Sites like this just seem to be adding another layer of clickage to the process that has no real point or purpose to it.


message 9: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3138 comments David wrote: "Philip wrote: "If one of these sites could demonstrate a real, guaranteed, audience of potential readers, then I think they would be killed in the rush of willing authors."

Very true.

But you kno..."


Good point, well made, David ;-)


message 10: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago Me? I'd run a mile. Smells like somebody else just wanting a piece of the action.

But don't take my word. Just ask yourself why they need to tout for membership. If they was that good we'd be queuing up....


Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Had a quick look and didn't see a single book I'd consider downloading.

Lots of typos in the blurbs and not terribly good covers.


message 12: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3138 comments Jane wrote: "Me? I'd run a mile. Smells like somebody else just wanting a piece of the action.

But don't take my word. Just ask yourself why they need to tout for membership. If they was that good we'd be queu..."


Yes, Jane. It's the old thing about not wanting to be a member of a club that would have you as a member, I suppose ;-)


message 13: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3138 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "Had a quick look and didn't see a single book I'd consider downloading.

Lots of typos in the blurbs and not terribly good covers."


That was my initial reaction too, Patti.


message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21943 comments I just saw the $99 a year and thought, 'somebody else selling shovels to prospectors'


message 15: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3138 comments Jim wrote: "I just saw the $99 a year and thought, 'somebody else selling shovels to prospectors'"

Yep, I think we're in the wrong game, Jim ;-)


message 16: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments Philip wrote: "Jim wrote: "I just saw the $99 a year and thought, 'somebody else selling shovels to prospectors'"

Yep, I think we're in the wrong game, Jim ;-)"


I have noticed a fair few indie writers who have had some success are now fronting courses on how to be a successful indie writer, or somesuch.

Makes you wonder if that is where the money is.


message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21943 comments certainly isn't in writing the books

I think the median indie writer sells about 20 copies of a book because that's how many family and friends they have


message 18: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments There's money in books?

I have to confess, I did once spend some time in a second-hand bookshop, shaking the books to see what fell out. Wasn't any money though . . .


message 19: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3138 comments Of course, you don't actually have to be a successful indie writer - you just have to say you're a successful indie writer :-)


message 20: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments I'm a successful writer.



(now, marketing and selling is something else entirely . . . ;)


G J (Gaff to my friends) Reilly | 1901 comments Hey, I must have been really lucky. I can't get the site to show me anything other than the random loading quote!


message 22: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments I scroll down the front page and I see "Animal Alphabet Search Learn your ABC's and 123's" listed next to "Sexiest man alive" and "Seasons of lesbian erotica"

Is Kobogate so quickly forgotten?


Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9087 comments Just had a look at this - as a reader I wouldn't touch it with the legendary bargepole. "Come where the readers are", really? I doubt it :)


message 24: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments It's the usual conundrum. A well established book website will have quality of authors and quantity of readers. A newly set up book website will usually have neither.

With luck, perseverance and talent, a small website may grow into a big one. Or it might not. Readers will go where the good writers are. Writers will go where the readers are.

This one? Too many shirtless blokes for my liking.


message 25: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21943 comments Just think about it. Master the software and then start setting up book sites. The shotgun approach. Some will fail (most will fail?) but one or two might grow

And all you need is the suckers sending you $99 a time to be advertised on your site.
In fact you might get the same poor sap paying to advertise on several of your sites,but obviously you can hardly provide links you've just got to hope they find them on their own

Let's just say that if I set up a website and got ten people to pay, I'd probably have have made more than from the books I've written


message 26: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3138 comments I've had quite a snotty email from them taking me to task for not responding to their first email!


message 27: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21943 comments Philip wrote: "I've had quite a snotty email from them taking me to task for not responding to their first email!"

email them back telling them you are setting up a website which evaluates book plugging websites and they can be entered for this if they send you $250 in used notes, non-sequential ;-)


message 28: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3138 comments Jim wrote: "Philip wrote: "I've had quite a snotty email from them taking me to task for not responding to their first email!"

email them back telling them you are setting up a website which evaluates book pl..."


I like your thinking on this ;-)


back to top