Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Help - on books listed by my name

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah James | 9 comments Hi All,

Hopefully, I'm being dim and there's a really easy click-box way to say that books aren't min - and if so, can someone please point me as to where I find it? (Thank you.)

There are about 63 books linked to the name Sarah James - not surprising given the nature of the name.

I only have five books published myself in this name - and only one of these (in 2 separate places/versions) is in that list. When I requested author status, I listed the books that are mine with ISBN and publisher website details etc because 63 books is a) too many for me to go through and list which aren't mine and b) I couldn't even read the titles of some of the books up there.

When I clicked through to register as the author of a book, it was from the actual book I'm author of, none of the others, so I'm generally quite confused as to why they're all automatically linked to me?

Apologies if this isn't the right place to post this query. (I'm trying to get used to the site, but still finding it all rather confusing.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Sarah

message 2: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments GR uses spaces between the names to create different profiles when author names match. Using a ^ to represent a space, someone is Sarah^James, someone else is Sarah^^James, someone else could be Sarah^^^^James. The spaces are invisible and don't affect searching or anything else, they just keep the profiles apart.

GR also receives feeds of data automatically from several sources, but since the import bots can't tell which of the Sarah James authors is which, everything automatically imported goes to the Sarah^James profile by default. For names which are very common, that default profile gathers up all manner of things, naturally.

When you claimed your profile, you were given the Sarah James default profile, and your books weren't separated out. At this point, with so very many books to move, the best answer I can come up with is:

Post the list (title is enough) of books that are yours. we''ll move everything that's not yours, to another profile. Then we'll get staff to move your profile to one with more spaces, so it's not the default, then we can dump all the "We don't know who this is" back to the default (and maybe try to sort them out, but that's not your problem!)

message 3: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 20813 comments Best would be to contact Goodreads Support. They can disambiguate authors when the author profile is claimed. It is a little more work than just a one-click action. Librarians can move books to a different author profile, but have to edit each book and each edition of the books.

Goodreads Support

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah James | 9 comments Krazykiwi wrote: "GR uses spaces between the names to create different profiles when author names match. Using a ^ to represent a space, someone is Sarah^James, someone else is Sarah^^James, someone else could be Sa..."

Thanks, Krazykiwi

My books are:

'plenty-fish' (Nine Arches Press, 2015);
'The Magnetic Diaries' (Knives, Forks and Spoons Press, 2015); 'Hearth', with Angela Topping (Mother's Milk Books, 2015);
'Be[yond]' (Knives, Forks and Spoons Press, 2013);
'Into the Yell' (Circaidy Gregory Press, 2010);

I'm also author of the following book but under the pen name S.A. Leavesley:
'Lampshades & Glass Rivers' (Loughborough University: Lamplight Press, 2016).

It sounds like a massively complicated task sorting this all - you have my thanks and empathy.

message 5: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Oh shoot, Arenda is right, we can't do it that way when the profile is claimed - there is a "mass disambiguation tool" we can use to move lots of books at once, but it isn't available for a claimed profile, so it would mean editing every edition of every book that isn't yours, and I simply don't have that many hours available.

Pop that list into the contact form you find in here and we'll have to let staff fix this one.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah James | 9 comments Arenda wrote: "Best would be to contact Goodreads Support. They can disambiguate authors when the author profile is claimed. It is a little more work than just a one-click action. Librarians can move books to a d..."

Thanks, Arenda, Will see what happens. I did put the full details in my application to register as author of the one title. But the system has also changed my name and appears to have lost/moved/done something with the bio I'd spent ages tailoring to the right length. Finding it all very confusing at the mo.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah James | 9 comments Krazykiwi wrote: "Oh shoot, Arenda is right, we can't do it that way when the profile is claimed - there is a "mass disambiguation tool" we can use to move lots of books at once, but it isn't available for a claimed..."

Thank you for the link, have tried that, will see what happens.