Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Emily of New Moon (Emily, #1)
This topic is about Emily of New Moon
Emily of New Moon, by L.M. Montgomery

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tracey (traceyrb) I read this book as week 1 challenge; a book I wanted to read last year but didn't get round to it.
I gave it 5 stars. This is a gem of a book. Emily is a girl to love and like. The book is full of many wises words and spiritual 'flashes' just as Emily herself receives these 'flashes' or intimation of another world.

"Death isn't terrible. The universe is full of love and spring is comes in everywhere and in death you open and shut a door."

'Emily felt as if love was all about her and around her, breathed out from some great invisible tenderness.'

'Emily with her instinctive capacity of sizing up people she met, felt that Mrs. Kent was an unhappy woman.'

Emily had ' a queer feeling that she had known Jarback Priest for years,' and that 'he was sealed of her tribe and she divined it instantly. He had a right to her inner sanctuary and she yielded it unquestioningly.'

And tangled in with this spiritual discerning Emily is a real flesh and blood girl who has things to learn and hurts to experience. I could relate to Emily and maybe that is why I liked the book so much. For we are never alone when we are understood.

message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela | 402 comments This was my absolute all-time favourite book growing up. I loved Emily as a character and her sense of quiet pride, and found her much more relatable when compared to Anne, of Green Gables fame. I loved the sense of mysticism that permeates through the series. Just a beautiful book.

Tracey (traceyrb) Angela wrote: "This was my absolute all-time favourite book growing up. I loved Emily as a character and her sense of quiet pride, and found her much more relatable when compared to Anne, of Green Gables fame. I ..."

I totally agree :)